Developer and Publisher miHoYo developed a new free-to-play RPG called Genshin Impact in September 2020. The game is available for Android & iOS mobile operating systems, PlayStation 4, Microsoft Windows, and Nintendo Switch. As the game received a new update, Genshin Impact’s black screen issue on PC, PS4, and PS5 is ruining everything.
Affected players are getting frustrated a lot due to the black screen issue, which appears whenever trying to launch the Genshin Impact game or after pressing the ‘Start Engine’ button. This issue appears on all compatible devices, a major hit to the players and developers. As per reports on the Steam Community, the game menu works fine, but after pressing the “Start Engine” button, a blank screen appears.
- Fix: Genshin Impact Black Screen on PC
- 1. Press the Alt + Tab Keys to Switch Programs
- 2. Run the game as an Administrator
- 3. Disable Full-Screen Optimizations
- 4. Check Graphics Driver Update
- 5. Repair Game Files
- 6. Update Genshin Impact
- 7. Set Launch Options on Steam
- 8. Set High-Performance GPU
- 9. Install Redistributables Packages of ACC
- 10. Turn Off Stereoscopic View in Nvidia Control Panel
- 11. Turn Off Third-Party Overlay Apps
- 12. Try Lowering the Refresh Rate of the Monitor
- Fix: Genshin Impact Black Screen on PS4, PS5
Fix: Genshin Impact Black Screen on PC
Some players have reported an issue where after pressing the ‘Start Engine’ button, the game begins loading car information and the background music starts, but then a blank black screen appears. This problem seems to persist for several players even after restarting the game, regardless of the device used. Luckily, there are a couple of possible workarounds available that can come in handy. So, without further delay, let’s explore them.
1. Press the Alt + Tab Keys to Switch Programs
Press the Alt+Tab keys on the keyboard to switch between opened programs on the Windows computer. Press the mentioned keys to go back to the game interface, and it should work properly this time.
2. Run the game as an Administrator
Make sure to run the game exe file as an administrator to avoid user account control regarding privilege issues. To do this:
- Right-click on the Genshin Impact exe file on your PC.
- Now, select Properties > Click on the Compatibility tab.
- Make sure to click on the Run this program as an administrator checkbox to checkmark it.
- Click on Apply and select OK to save changes.
3. Disable Full-Screen Optimizations
You should also disable the full-screen optimizations on the PC to check for the issue again.
- First, go to the Genshin Impact game folder on your PC where it has been installed.
- Right-click on the AssettoCorsa.exe file and click on Properties.
- Go to the Compatibility tab > Uncheck the Enable Fullscreen Optimizations toggle.
- Click on Apply and then OK to save changes.
4. Check Graphics Driver Update
Check out the graphics driver update on your PC, whether outdated or not. If there is an outdated GPU driver present on the PC, it may conflict with some issues with the game launching or a black screen. To check for the latest updates:
- Press Windows + X keys to open the Quick Link Menu.
- Now, click on Device Manager from the list > Double-click on Display adapters.
- Right-click on the dedicated graphics card that you’re using.
- Next, select Update driver > Choose to Search automatically for drivers.
- If an update is available, the system will automatically download & install it.
- Once done, restart the computer to apply changes.
5. Repair Game Files
Needless to say, issues with corrupted or missing game files on the PC might encounter game-launching conflicts a lot. If in case, your game starts to load for a few seconds and then closes automatically or doesn’t launch at all then it’s better to verify and repair the installed game files on the PC by following the steps below:
For Steam Launcher:
- Launch the Steam client > Click on Library.
- Right-click on Genshin Impact from the list.
- Click on Properties > Go to Local Files.
- Click on Verify Integrity of Game Files.
- This process may take some time to complete. So, have some patience.
- Once done, make sure to reboot the PC to apply changes.
For Epic Launcher:
6. Update Genshin Impact
We should also recommend you manually check for the game update at your end via the Steam client to ensure there is no outdated game version conflicting with the game launching. An outdated game patch version can trigger several potential issues that might trigger black screen issues. To do this:
- Open Steam and go to Library.
- Click on Genshin Impact from the left pane.
- Steam will automatically search for the available update.
- If there is an update available, click on Update.
- Make sure to wait for some time until the update completes.
- Once done, ensure to reboot the PC to apply changes.
For Epic Launcher:
- Open the Epic Launcher client > Go to Library > Look for Genshin Impact from the left pane.
- You must tap on the three-dot icon on your Genshin Impact application.
- Make sure to check the auto-update to get a new update installation automatically.
- It’ll automatically search for the available update. If there is an update available, make sure to click on Update.
- Finally, reboot your PC to apply changes, and then try launching the game again
7. Set Launch Options on Steam
The chances are high that your game launcher cannot load the game properly due to some unexpected reasons. It’s better to set launch options on Steam by following the steps below:
- Open the Steam client > Click on Library.
- Right-click on Genshin Impact.
- Go to ‘Properties’ > Click on ‘Set Launch Options…’.
- Type /soft and try playing the game again.
This causes your Steam launcher to resort to software mode. Though you may feel slightly sluggish with UI and some artefacts, you’ll at least be able to run the game until a permanent fix arrives.
8. Set High-Performance GPU
If you are running a dual GPU system or just encountering the full black screen issue in the launcher, then make sure to assign the game and the launcher files to the high-performance graphics on the PC you’re using. To do so:
For Nvidia GPU:
- Right-click on the blank desktop screen > Open Nvidia Control Panel.
- Go to 3D Settings > Click on Manage 3D Settings.
- Open Program Settings > Select Genshin Impact from the list. [AssettoCorsa.exe]
- Select the preferred graphics processor for this program from the list.
- Once done, you can see it as a High-Performance Nvidia Processor.
- Make sure to save changes and reboot the PC.
For AMD GPU:
- Right-click on the blank desktop screen > Open Radeon Settings.
- Head over to Additional Settings > Go to Preferences.
- Click on Power > Click on Switchable Graphics Application Settings.
- Select Genshin Impact (AssettoCorsa.exe) from the list.
- If the game is not visible, select Add Application to include the game.
- Once done, select High Performance from Graphics Settings.
- Finally, reboot the PC to apply changes.
Note: Make sure to set the high-performance graphics for the acs.exe file as well.
9. Install Redistributables Packages of ACC
Sometimes, missing or corrupted redistributable packages of the game file may cause several issues with the launching. You should follow the steps below to install common redistributable packages on the PC.
- Go to the installed game directory. By default C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\assettocorsa\_CommonRedist is the location.
- If you have installed the game on another location, head over there.
- Install those packages one by one, and then try launching the game again to check for the issue.
10. Turn Off Stereoscopic View in Nvidia Control Panel
Nvidia 3D Vision, also known as Stereoscopic View, allows users to play any Direct3D games in stereoscopic mode. You should try to disable it manually by following the steps below to cross-check whether the problem is still bothering you.
- Open Nvidia Control Panel > Click on ‘Set Up Stereoscopic 3D’.
- Next, uncheck ‘Enable Stereoscopic 3D’ to turn it off.
- Make sure to reboot the PC to apply changes.
11. Turn Off Third-Party Overlay Apps
Mostly, conflicts with the background running third-party overlay apps can trigger several issues with the game launching because they consume a lot of system resources just like the processes whenever you start the game. Even though the game doesn’t launch, the overlay app starts and runs until you close it manually. Whereas some overlay apps may also start running while you boot the system at the very beginning. So, try disabling overlay apps manually.
Disable Discord Overlay:
- Open the Discord app > Click on the gear icon (Settings) at the bottom.
- Select Overlay under App Settings > Turn on the Enable in-game overlay.
- Click on Games > Select Genshin Impact.
- Make sure to turn off the Enable in-game overlay toggle.
- Once done, reboot your PC to apply changes.
Disable Xbox Game Bar:
- Press the Win+I keys to open Settings.
- Now, click on Gaming > Go to Game Bar.
- Turn Off the Record game clips, screenshots, and broadcast using the Game bar option.
- Once done, save changes, and reboot the PC to apply changes.
Disable Nvidia GeForce Experience Overlay:
- Launch the Nvidia GeForce Experience app > Go to Settings.
- Click on General > Disable the In-Game Overlay option.
- Once done, restart the PC to apply changes.
Disable Steam Overlay:
- Open the Steam client > Click on Library.
- Right-click on Genshin Impact > Click on Properties.
- Click on General > Turn OFF the Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game option.
- Once done, reboot the PC to change the effects.
Some PC gamers or advanced users also use other overlay apps such as MSI Afterburner, Rivatuner, RGB software, etc. Suppose you’re also using any other mouse or keyboard software or RGB tool, which isn’t necessary much during gaming. Then it’s better to turn them off. Your Genshin Impact black screen issue can be fixed by doing so.
Disable In-Game Overlay in Radeon Settings:
- Open the AMD Radeon Software application > From the main menu, click on Settings.
- Go to Preferences > Under the General section, Turn Off the In-Game Overlay toggle.
- Once done, you should reboot the PC to apply changes.
12. Try Lowering the Refresh Rate of the Monitor
It is recommended to lower the refresh rate of your monitor to either 60 Hz or 120 Hz (at maximum) to avoid issues such as screen tearing, glitches, or black screens while gaming. It is important not to exceed the maximum refresh rate to ensure smooth gameplay. Regardless of the screen resolution, toning down the refresh rate is advisable.
Fix: Genshin Impact Black Screen on PS4, PS5
If you’re a PlayStation console user facing the black screen issue with the Genshin Impact game, you can follow the methods below to try fixing it.
1. Check System Updates
It’s recommended to check for system updates on the PlayStation console before getting into any other workarounds. Sometimes an outdated system build can cause several issues.
- Go to the Settings menu on the PlayStation console.
- Select System Software Update > Check for available updates and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the update process.
- Once done, reboot the system to apply changes.
2. Delete Saved Game Data on PS5
Corrupted or missing game data can cause multiple issues with the black screen on the PlayStation console. We recommend you delete the saved game data on the PS5 console to check for the issue.
- Go to the Settings menu > Select Storage.
- Choose Saved Data > Select Genshin Impact.
- Press the Options button on the controller > Select the saved game data files (one or multiple).
- Hit Delete and confirm the task to complete it.
- Once done, make sure to reboot the console to apply changes.
All the game files which are locally saved will be deleted from your PlayStation console. But don’t worry. Since you’re online, all saved game data will be there. This should fix the Genshin Impact black screen issue on PS5 Consoles.
3. Rebuild the Database on PS5
Rebuilding the database on your PlayStation console can quickly resolve potential issues or errors. To do so:
- Switch off your console completely. Unplug the power cable from the console and wait for around 2-3 minutes.
- Now, plug in the power cable and turn it on to clear the Cached Data automatically from the system.
Check whether or not this issue has been fixed with the Genshin Impact game. If not, follow the next steps below.
- Now, press and hold the Power button on the PlayStation console until you hear two beeps. [The second beep will sound after seven seconds]
- The console will boot in Safe Mode > Connect the controller to the USB with the console and press the PS Button on the controller.
- Next, you’ll get an option called ‘Rebuild Database’.
- Select Rebuild Database and confirm the task.
- It may take some time, depending on the hard drive data size. Have some patience.
- Once done, reboot the system normally.
4. Reinstall Genshin Impact
If in case, the blank black screen problem persists with the Genshin Impact game then make sure to uninstall and reinstall the game on the console. It should gonna fix the issue. To do so:
- Go to Settings > Select Storage.
- Select the Genshin Impact game from the list and then Hit Delete.
- Once the game is deleted, download and install it from the respective store.
This method may help you to fix the Genshin Impact black screen issue on PS5 Consoles.
5. Reset the Console
If none of the workarounds come in handy for you, try performing the factory reset to your console to check for the issue.
- Go to the Settings menu on the PlayStation console.
- Select the ‘Initialization’ tab > Select ‘Initialize PS5’.
- From the next page, choose ‘Full.’
- Your PlayStation 5 will automatically start wiping itself to restore the factory defaults. This process may take a couple of hours, depending on the installed data on the storage.
- Let the process be completed. Once done, make sure to reboot the system.
That’s it, guys. We assume this guide was helpful to you. For further queries, you can comment below.