Google’s Android OS contains multiple software contents like Bootloader, System Framework, Stock Recovery, and more. When an Android device boots up, the system decides whether to boot into the system or in recovery mode automatically each and every time. Bootloader comes locked by default with the smartphones and tablet devices from OEMs in order to secure the device. But if you’re trying to flash any third-party Custom ROM or modded file or install Root Access on your Android device, unlocking the bootloader is a must. Vivo smartphones also fall on the same list. Therefore, we have shared with you the steps on How to Unlock Bootloader on any Vivo smartphone.
One of the leading Chinese smartphone brands Vivo don’t offer any official way to unlock the device bootloader and they even say not to try by yourself. If in case, anything goes wrong with the bootloader unlocking, your device may get bricked easily. However, there are a couple of unlocking methods available online which are almost the same for most Android devices. You can follow a simple and different method from below.
- What is Bootloader?
- What is Bootloader Unlocking?
- 1. How to Unlock Bootloader on any Vivo smartphones via Fastboot Method
- 2. How to Unlock Bootloader on any Vivo smartphones via EDL Method
What is Bootloader?
A bootloader is a code inside the device OS (Operating System) that instructs the device system to run the system kernel after switching on the phone. Each and every smartphone, tablet, gadget that are powered by an Operating System, runs with a locked bootloader by default from the device manufacturer. Due to Android’s open-source nature and customizations, users or developers try custom firmware or rooting. In this case, they have to unlock the bootloader at first.
As the Vivo has not released any official method for unlocking bootloader any Vivo devices, we will share with you two methods as Fastboot OEM method and EDL Method. Here EDL means ‘Emergency Download Mode’.
What is Bootloader Unlocking?
A device Bootloader is a bunch of codes that initialize some hardware when a device turns on and it loads the system kernel and RAMdisk to boot the OS (Operating System). The device bootloader decides whether to boot into the system or in recovery mode every time we turn on our device. Each and every device which has an OS, do the same thing as a smartphone, tablet, computer, smartwatch, etc.
However, bootloaders are come locked mostly by the smartphone OEMs every time due to security and privacy issues. It doesn’t allow the user to flash any third-party firmware, flash any modded files, or enabling root access. All the device bootloaders are developed and designed to work well with the hardware. Without unlocking the bootloader, you can’t flash any Custom ROM or install Root as well.
Advantages of Unlocking Bootloader
- Enable Root Access on the Vivo device.
- Flash any Custom Firmware easily after unlocking the bootloader. It’s necessary.
- Can install Custom Recovery (TWRP) on your Vivo smartphone easily.
- Additionally, you can customize your device by flashing modded files or Xposed modules after rooting.
Disadvantages of Unlocking Bootloader
- The Vivo device warranty may void if you unlock the bootloader.
- Installed Custom ROM might not work properly on your device or certain functions may affect device performance as well.
- In the worst case, unlocking the bootloader will cause physical damage to the material of your Vivo Phone, due to the device overheating issue.
- Some of the pre-loaded contents on your device may also be inaccessible due to the removal of DRM security keys.
- The device’s secure user data partition can become inaccessible as well.
- The guide is only supported for Vivo devices.
- Take a complete device internal data backup at first before doing anything.
- Keep your device battery charged at least up to 60% for a smoother process.
- Download and Install ADB & Fastboot Tool on your computer. [Windows/Mac/Linux]
- Download and Install Qualcomm EDL Driver > QDLoader_HS_USB_Driver.7z
- Enable Developer Options, USB Debugging, and OEM Unlock on your device. Check out the video guide.
- Download Vivo Fastboot Tool > Vivo-fastboot.zip on your PC and extract it.
- You will require a PC/Laptop and a USB Cable.
- Download Vivo EDL Unlock Tool > BLUnlocker_v1.zip.
|Vivo Supported Devices|
|Vivo Y76s||Vivo Y73s||Vivo iQOO Neo5 Lite|
|Vivo Y15s||Vivo X50e 5G||Vivo Y52 5G|
|Vivo Y71t||Vivo V20||Vivo Y12s 2021|
|Vivo iQOO Z5x||Vivo V20 Pro||Vivo Y52s t1|
|Vivo T1x||Vivo V20 SE||Vivo V21 5G|
|Vivo T1||Vivo iQOO 5 Pro 5G||Vivo V21|
|Vivo S10e||Vivo iQOO 5 5G||Vivo V21e|
|Vivo Y3s (2021)||Vivo S1 Prime||Vivo iQOO 7|
|Vivo Y20T||Vivo Y20i||Vivo X60t|
|Vivo iQOO Z5||Vivo Y11 2019||Vivo Y30G|
|Vivo Y21s||Vivo U3||Vivo X60 Pro|
|Vivo X70 Pro+||Vivo U10||Vivo X60|
|Vivo X70 Pro||Vivo Nex 3||Vivo iQOO Z3|
|Vivo X70||Vivo Nex 3 5G||Vivo iQOO U3x|
|Vivo Y33s||Vivo V17 Pro||Vivo iQOO Neo5|
|Vivo Y21||Vivo Z1X||Vivo S9e|
|Vivo iQOO 8 Pro||Vivo iQOO Pro 5G||Vivo S7t|
|Vivo iQOO 8||Vivo iQOO Neo 855 Plus||Vivo X60 Pro+|
|Vivo Y12a||Vivo iQOO Pro||Vivo Y20G|
|Vivo S10 Pro||Vivo iQOO Neo 855||Vivo Y31s|
|Vivo S10||Vivo iQOO 3 5G||Vivo Y20A|
|Vivo Y73||Vivo iQOO 3||Vivo Y20 2021|
|Vivo Y72 5G||Vivo Y90||Vivo V20 2021|
|Vivo Y53s 4G||Vivo V17 Neo||Vivo iQOO U3|
|Vivo X60t Pro+||Vivo Z5||Vivo Y52s|
|Vivo V21e 5G||Vivo Z1 Pro||Vivo Y51a|
|Vivo Y53S||Vivo iQOO Neo||Vivo Y12S|
|Vivo Y70T||Vivo V3||Vivo Y12i|
|Vivo S1||Vivo V3Max||Vivo Y1s|
|Vivo S1 Pro||Vivo V5||Vivo S7e|
|Vivo Y12||Vivo V5 Lite||Vivo X51 5G|
|Vivo Y9s||Vivo V5 Plus||Vivo iQOO U1x|
|Vivo Y15||Vivo V5 Plus Limited Edition||Vivo Y3s|
|Vivo Y17||Vivo V5s||Vivo Y11s|
|Vivo Z5i||Vivo V7||Vivo Y70|
|Vivo Z3x||Vivo V7 Plus||Vivo Y20s|
|Vivo Z6||Vivo V9||Vivo X3|
|Vivo Z5x||Vivo V9 6GB||Vivo X3F|
|Vivo X27||Vivo V9 Youth||Vivo X3L|
|Vivo X27 Pro||Vivo V11 Pro||Vivo X3S|
|Vivo iQOO||Vivo V11i||Vivo X3V|
|Vivo Nex||Vivo V15||Vivo X5|
|Vivo NEX 3s 5G||Vivo V19||Vivo X5F|
|Vivo Nex S||Vivo V15 Pro||Vivo X5M|
|Vivo Nex Dual Display||Vivo V17||Vivo X5S|
|Vivo E1||Vivo X1||Vivo X5V|
|Vivo E3||Vivo X1S||Vivo X5Max|
|Vivo E5||Vivo X23||Vivo X30 Pro|
|Vivo S1||Vivo X20||Vivo X30|
|Vivo S3||Vivo X20 Plus||Vivo X5Max+|
|Vivo S5||Vivo X20 Plus UD||Vivo X5 Max F|
|Vivo S6||Vivo X21||Vivo X5 Max L|
|Vivo S6t||Vivo X21i||Vivo X5 Max V|
|Vivo S7||Vivo X21 UD||Vivo X5 Max Platinum Edition|
|Vivo S9||Vivo Xplay||Vivo X5Pro|
|Vivo S11||Vivo Xplay3S||Vivo X5Pro 3G|
|Vivo S12||Vivo Xplay5||Vivo X5Pro Mobile Version|
|Vivo U20||Vivo Xplay5 Elite||Vivo X5Pro Telecom Edition|
|Vivo U3x||Vivo Xplay6||Vivo X6|
|Vivo V1||Vivo Xshot||Vivo X6Plus|
|Vivo V1Max||Vivo Y1||Vivo X6S|
|Vivo V2||Vivo Y3||Vivo X6S Plus|
|Vivo Y28L||Vivo Y5s||Vivo X7|
|Vivo Y29L||Vivo Y11||Vivo X7 Plus|
|Vivo Y31||Vivo Y19||Vivo X9|
|Vivo Y31L||Vivo Y13||Vivo X9 Plus|
|Vivo Y33||Vivo Y13L||Vivo X9s|
|Vivo Y35||Vivo Y15||Vivo X9s Plus|
|Vivo Y37||Vivo Y15S||Vivo Y97|
|Vivo Y51||Vivo Y15t||Vivo Z1|
|Vivo Y51L||Vivo Y17w||Vivo Z1i|
|Vivo Y53||Vivo Y18L||Vivo Z10|
|Vivo Y53i||Vivo Y19t||Vivo Z3|
|Vivo Y55L||Vivo Y20||Vivo Z3i|
|Vivo Y55s||Vivo Y21||Vivo Z6 5G|
|Vivo Y65||Vivo Y21L||Vivo S6 5G|
|Vivo Y66||Vivo Y22||Vivo V19|
|Vivo Y69||Vivo Y22iL||Vivo Y50|
|Vivo Y67||Vivo Y22L||Vivo iQOO Neo3 5G|
|Vivo Y71||Vivo Y23L||Vivo Y30|
|Vivo Y71i||Vivo Y25||Vivo X50 Lite|
|Vivo Y75S||Vivo Y27||Vivo iQOO Z1|
|Vivo Y622||Vivo Y27L||Vivo Y70s|
|Vivo Y627||Vivo Y28||Vivo X50|
|Vivo Y633||Vivo Y21t||Vivo X50 Pro|
|Vivo Y81||Vivo Y21a||Vivo X50 Pro+|
|Vivo Y81i||Vivo Y21e||Vivo Z5x (2020)|
|Vivo Y81s||Vivo iQOO U5||Vivo V19 Neo|
|Vivo Y83||Vivo S12 Pro||Vivo iQOO Z1x|
|Vivo Y83 Pro||Vivo iQOO Neo5 S||Vivo Y51s|
|Vivo Y89||Vivo iQOO Neo5 SE||Vivo iQOO U1|
|Vivo Y91 (MediaTek)||Vivo Y32||Vivo iQOO Z6|
|Vivo Y91||Vivo Y55s 5G||Vivo iQOO U5x|
|Vivo Y927||Vivo V23e 5G||Vivo Y01|
|Vivo Y93 (Mediatek)||Vivo Y76 5G||Vivo Y33s 5G|
|Vivo Y93s||Vivo Y54s||Vivo iQOO 9|
|Vivo Y933||Vivo V23e||Vivo iQOO 9 SE|
|Vivo Y937||Vivo Y50t||Vivo iQOO 9 Pro|
|Vivo Y95||Vivo Y15a||Vivo T1 5G|
|Vivo T1x 4G||Vivo Y74s||Vivo Y75 5G|
|Vivo X80||Vivo T1 Pro||Vivo Y55 5G|
|Vivo X80 Pro||Vivo iQOO Neo6 SE||Vivo V23 Pro|
|Vivo iQOO Z6 Pro||Vivo S15||Vivo V23 5G|
|Vivo Y21G||Vivo S15 Pro||Vivo Y33t|
|Vivo Pad||Vivo Y75||Vivo iQOO Neo 6|
|Vivo X Fold||Vivo T2||Vivo X Note|
|Vivo T2x||Vivo Y72t||Vivo S15e|
|Vivo Y33e||Vivo Y77e||Vivo Y22s|
|Vivo iQOO Z6x||Vivo V25e||Vivo Y16|
|Vivo iQOO Z6 Lite||Vivo Y52t||Vivo X80 Lite|
|Vivo X Fold Plus||Vivo Y73t||Vivo iQOO Neo7|
|Vivo V21s||Vivo iQOO U5e||Vivo Y77|
|Vivo iQOO 10||Vivo iQOO 10 Pro||Vivo Y30 5G|
|Vivo iQOO 9T||Vivo Y02s||Vivo V25|
|Vivo V25 Pro|
1. How to Unlock Bootloader on any Vivo smartphones via Fastboot Method
- After following the pre-requirements properly, connect your Vivo smartphone to the PC via a USB cable.
- Head over to the Vivo-Fastboot Tool folder on your PC.
- Now, right-click on the blank area inside the Fastboot folder by pressing the Shift key will open a command prompt.
- Next, type the following command and hit enter button in order to reboot your device into bootloader mode.
adb reboot bootloader
- Then type another command below and press enter. For the older Vivo phones.
fastboot bbk unlock_Vivo
- If you’re using any newer Vivo phone then follow the below command.
fastboot bbk Vivo_bsp unlock_Vivo
- That’s it. You’re done.
Steps to Re-Lock Bootloader on Vivo Device
If you want to re-lock the Vivo bootloader then follow the above steps in order to reboot your Vivo device into Bootloader mode. Then just type and enter the following command in the command prompt and restart your phone normally.
fastboot bbk lock_Vivo
2. How to Unlock Bootloader on any Vivo smartphones via EDL Method
- After following the pre-requirements properly, you will need to unzip the Vivo EDL Unlock Tool first.
- Download the device latest stock firmware file according to your phone model and extract prog_emmc_firehose_****.mbn file from the firmware.
- Copy the prog_emmc_firehose_****.mbn file to the Vivo EDL Unlock Tool folder.
- Now, switch off your device and press & hold the Volume Up + Volume Down button and connect the USB cable to the PC together.
- Next, open Device Manager on your computer and search the Qualcomm EDL port.
- Run dump_devinfo.bat and type the port number and hit enter.
- Edit devinfo.img using HxD Hex Editor.
- Finally, run unlock.bat to Unlock Bootloader on any Vivo smartphones.
We hope that this full-depth guide is helpful to you and you have easily unlocked your Vivo device bootloader. For any queries, let us know in the comments below.