Insomniac Games and Sony Interactive Entertainment released Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 on October 2023 as an action-adventure single-player title for the PlayStation 5 platform. The game includes Peter and Miles facing the ultimate strength test by balancing their lives, friendships, etc. It also offers new gameplay features & unique quest lines, new locations, and more. The game has already received plenty of positive reviews and spotted record-breaking sales. But as expected Marvel’s Spider Man 2 keeps Crashing on PS5.
After the launch of Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 in the last week on October 20, many praised the game for its overall gaming experience, visual elements, storyline, and larger-than-life battles against antagonists. Considering the fastest-selling PlayStation Studios title in the first 24 hours of its launch, Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 has gone through several issues or bugs on the PlayStation 5 consoles from the beginning. Somehow the game keeps crashing on startup which feels frustrating.
- Fix Marvel’s Spider Man 2 Keeps Crashing on PS5
- 1. Restart Your PS5 Console
- 2. Update Marvel’s Spider-Man 2
- 3. Enable Automatic Game Updates on PS5
- 4. Check for System Software Updates
- 5. Ensure Your PS5 isn’t Overheating
- 6. Turn Off Performance Mode
- 7. Disable Ray Tracing
- 8. Set 60 FPS in Video
- 9. Delete the Spider-Man 2 Data
- 10. Disable Rest Mode
- 11. Restore Licenses
- 12. Boot PS5 in Safe Mode
- 13. Use Rebuild Database
- 14. Reinstall Marvel’s Spider-Man 2
- 15. Reset the PS5 Console
- 16. Contact PlayStation Support
Fix Marvel’s Spider Man 2 Keeps Crashing on PS5
The sequel to Spider-Man Miles Morales works fine and there is no loading issue in between fast travels which feels great due to the SSD usage on PS5. It indicates that Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 really puts some pressure on the hardware to get extreme results out of the box. However, PlayStation 5 console users are encountering multiple issues with the game crashing forcefully with the error CE-108255-1 while trying to launch it. Well, this error is mostly related to the Rachet & Clank Rift Apart.
It’s not like that the Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 game starts crashing on PS5 recently. This specific issue did appear on Spider-Man Miles Morales and even on other titles previously. PS5 games are not prone to crashes that much since their release because they’re optimized well enough. However, not everyone is facing this specific crashing issue with the CE-108255-1 error code on the PlayStation console which is a good thing. Most probably the ray-tracing feature on Spider-Man 2 is more likely a reason to crash.
As per multiple reports on Reddit, Ray-Tracing on Spider-Man 2 causing crashes on the PS5 platform. If we take a quick look at the CE-108255-1 error, it basically says “An error occurred in the application.” which is a common issue for PlayStation games. Luckily, PlayStation Support has already provided a couple of troubleshooting methods to deal with this error after crashing the game application. Make sure to follow all workarounds until the problem gets fixed. So, without further ado, let’s jump into it.
1. Restart Your PS5 Console
The chances are high that you’re encountering the Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 game crashes while launching due to a temporary bug or glitch. So, restarting the PS5 console might eliminate temporary errors or glitches because of the corrupted cache. To restart the PS5 console:
- Press the PS button on your PS5 controller.
- Select the Power icon from the menu > choose Restart PS5.
- Do not unplug the power cable from your console to avoid any hardware failure.
2. Update Marvel’s Spider-Man 2
Try updating the Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 game on your PlayStation 5 console to check if the crashing issue has been fixed or not. An outdated game version or issues with the game bug might cause crashes while startup.
Note: Whenever you launch a game or app, it automatically updates to the latest version. In case, there is an issue, check out the following steps.
- Go to the Games section > Highlight the Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 game.
- Press the Options button on the controller > Select Check for Update.
- If an update is available, follow the on-screen instructions to install the update.
- You can also try to manage saved data, game data, and add-ons.
3. Enable Automatic Game Updates on PS5
It’s quite common for gaming platforms to encounter game update-related issues mostly crashes on startup. So, you should enable the automatic game updates on your PS5 console by following the steps below to avoid outdated game patch versions regarding conflicts. Generally, video games are set to automatic updates by default on PS5.
- From the PS5 Homepage, go to Settings (gear icon) on the top right side.
- Select System > Choose Power Saving from the left sidebar.
- Choose Features Available in Rest Mode.
- Turn On – Stay Connected to the Internet.
As we’ve turned on PS5 to stay connected to the internet while in rest mode, it’s time to enable the automatic game updates option.
- Go back to the main Settings menu again.
- Select Saved Data and Game/App Settings.
- Choose Automatic Updates from the left side.
- Turn On – Auto-Download and Auto-Install in Rest Mode.
- Now, wait for a couple of minutes to check if the Spider-Man 2 game has been updated or not.
4. Check for System Software Updates
Sony pushes the latest software updates for the PlayStation 5 consoles via OTA to cope with bugs and stability issues all the time. You should always check for system software updates manually by following the steps below.
- Ensure the PS5 console is properly connected to the internet.
- From the homepage, open Settings at the top right corner.
- Go to System > Select System Software from the left menu.
- Choose System Software Update and Settings.
- Select Update Using Internet.
- Now, wait for the PS5 system to check for available updates.
- If an update is available, it’ll automatically download & install it.
5. Ensure Your PS5 isn’t Overheating
Well, hardware overheating is one of the common things on consoles and can be a potential reason behind game crashes. Most PS5 games are graphics and hardware-intensive, so you can expect overheating issues. Due to overheating, the overall gaming experience may stutter or laggy at times. Sometimes you may experience game crashes at startup if the console’s temperature exceeds the safe limits. The console will automatically shut down the system in that worst scenario to prevent hardware failures. To check overheating:
- First, you can touch your console to check if it feels uncomfortably hot like a frying pan or not.
- The second thing you can try is to listen to a louder, unusual sound/noise coming from the console’s cooling fan.
- At times, you can also get some warning notices on the display due to the overheating before shutting it down.
- Frequent crashes and shutdowns can also be considered one of the overheating symptoms.
6. Turn Off Performance Mode
Try turning off the performance mode on your PS5 console to check if the Spider-Man 2 game is still crashing or not. To do so:
- Power On your PS5 > Select Settings.
- Go to Save Data and Game/App Settings.
- Select Game Presets.
- Choose the Performance Mode > Select Game Default.
7. Disable Ray Tracing
Ray Tracing is one of the trending graphical settings that offers a better visual experience in video games by consuming too much of system resources (putting strain on the hardware). However, if you’re facing the game crashing issue at your end, it’s recommended to disable ray tracing for better performance on PS5. To do that:
- Run the Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 game on your PS5.
- Go to the game Settings menu > Head over to Graphics or Display settings.
- Here Disable Ray Tracing from the list.
- Make sure to apply the changes and run the game again.
8. Set 60 FPS in Video
Though using 120FPS can provide an enhanced gaming experience like smoother visuals and faster inputs, it can eventually drain out system resources on your PS5 console. In case, your Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 crashes a lot then you should try to use the default 60FPS mode to check for the issue again.
- Run Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 on your PS5.
- Select the Game Mode that you’re using.
- Choose the menu icon at the top right side.
- Go to Settings > Select Video.
- TURN OFF – 120FPS Mode.
- Hit Apply and then check for the issue again.
9. Delete the Spider-Man 2 Data
Sometimes your game’s saved data can become corrupted or outdated due to some unexpected reasons. In that case, it’s better to delete Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 game data by following the steps below. Relaunching the game will automatically create new saved data on the system. So, nothing to worry about it.
Please Note: It’s recommended to take a backup of the saved data or download the data to avoid losing your progress in the game.
- Go to Settings on your PS5 console.
- Now, scroll down and hit Saved Data and Game/App Settings.
- Then, choose Saved Data (PS5) for PS5 Games.
- Open Console Storage from the drop-down menu.
- If you’re using the PlayStation Plus membership, save your game progress data by uploading it to the cloud.
- Next, go to Delete > Select Marvel’s Spider-Man 2.
- Press the Delete option at the bottom right side to wipe saved data of Marvel’s Spider-Man 2.
- Wait for the same and then reboot your system.
- Finally, run the game, sync the game saved data, and check for the crashing issue again.
10. Disable Rest Mode
Multiple PS5 owners have tried this method and found it useful to fix crashes with games like Marvel’s Spider-Man 2. Rest Mode is one of the main culprits to cause game crashes silently. To turn it off:
- Go to Settings from the PS5 homepage.
- Scroll down and select Network.
- From the Network Settings menu, go to Power Saving.
- Choose Set Time Until PS5 Enters Rest Mode.
- Now, select Don’t Put in Rest Mode.
Note: After disabling rest mode, your PS5 console won’t go into sleep mode (rest mode) automatically while in idle mode. So, you’ll have to manually enter into the sleep mode when you’re not using the console.
11. Restore Licenses
It seems that several PS5 users are having licensing issues with the purchased games, DLCs, pre-order contents, redeemed items, and more. It’s better to restore licenses by following the steps below to fix such issues. By doing so, some players did fix the Spider-Man 2 crashing issue.
- Log into the Playstation account that you’ve used to purchase the game.
- Go to Settings > Go to Users and Accounts.
- Head over to Other > Select Restore Licenses.
- Choose OK when it’s done.
- Now, go to the PS5 Library > Select Marvel’s Spider-Man 2.
- Select Download to start the downloading process.
- For downloadable content (DLC), select the PlayStation Store to find the digital content.
- If the content has already been downloaded, it will display under Purchased.
- Once done, launch the game to check for crashing.
12. Boot PS5 in Safe Mode
Safe Mode allows you to start your PlayStation console with the basic functions active only. Third-party applications and games won’t work. The Safe Mode feature will help you troubleshoot potential issues and reasons by rebuilding the console storage database, changing the resolution, or resetting the console to its factory defaults.
Do keep in mind that some Safe Mode options will result in the loss of data. So, be sure to back up data to a USB drive or Cloud Storage before hard reset.
- Turn Off your PS5 console by long-pressing the Power button for 3-4 seconds.
- The power indicator blinks for a few moments before turning it off.
- After shutting down the console, press and hold the Power button again.
- Release it after you hear the second beep [the second beep will sound seven seconds later than the first beep].
- Now, simply connect the PS5 controller with the USB cable.
- Then press the PS button on the controller to pair it.
- Finally, your PS5 will boot into the Safe Mode.
You can now follow the next method to rebuild the database easily.
13. Use Rebuild Database
Rebuilding the database on PS5 will allow the system to find out potential issues related to the storage drive that might conflict with the games and cause crashes.
- Press and hold the Power button until you hear the second beep. This will boot your PS5 in Safe Mode.
- Connect the PS5 DualSense controller to a USB cable and press the PS button on the controller to pair it.
- It may take a moment to display Safe Mode options.
- Then select Clear Cache and Rebuild Database.
- Choose Rebuild Database.
- Wait for the process to complete.
- Then, your PS5 will boot back to the normal mode again.
14. Reinstall Marvel’s Spider-Man 2
Another thing you can do is to uninstall and reinstall the Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 game on your PS5 console manually by following the steps below.
- Go to the PlayStation home menu and select Game Library.
- Select the Installed tab > Highlight Marvel’s Spider-Man 2.
- Press the Options button on the PS5 controller.
- Select Delete > Select OK to uninstall it.
- Once done, restart your PS5 console.
You can also uninstall games from the PlayStation App:
- Open the PlayStation App > Select Settings.
- Choose Storage > Select Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 from the list.
- Select Delete Game > Delete.
- Once uninstalled, reboot the PS5 console.
You can finally reinstall the game that you’ve purchased digitally without having to purchase them again. You can check the progress of your download by heading to your Downloads/Uploads section.
- Go to the PS5 home screen > Go to Game Library.
- Select the Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 game that you want to reinstall.
- Press the Options button on your controller.
- Hit Download > Wait for the game to download.
- You can check the progress of your download by heading to your Downloads/Uploads section.
- Once downloaded, you can open the game.
15. Reset the PS5 Console
If none of the workarounds did come in handy then make sure to factory reset your PS5 console as a final resort. After following all other fixes, you can try the hard reset method by following the steps below to check if the problem has been fixed or not.
Note: Resetting PS5 will completely wipe the user settings, game saved data, installed games, etc from the console. If you’re using a PlayStation Plus subscription then backup the data to the cloud or use a USB flash drive to download data.
- Go to Settings from the PS home screen.
- Select Saved Data and Game/App Settings.
- Now, choose the type of data that you want to backup:
- Select Saved Data (PS5) > Console Storage.
- Choose Upload to Cloud Storage.
- PS5 will upload your saved game data.
- Once the data backup is done, you can reset your PS5.
- Go back to Settings > Go to System.
- Select System Software > Choose Reset Options.
- Now, select Reset Your Console > Follow the on-screen instructions to proceed.
- Wait until PS5 restarts and then you can go through the setup process.
- After signing into the valid PlayStation account, reinstall the Spider-Man 2 game.
- Sync the game-saved data (if any) and then check whether the game crashes.
16. Contact PlayStation Support
Last but not least, you can head over to the official PlayStation Support webpage to get further assistance from the experts. You can also carry your PS5 console to your nearest PlayStation service centre to get it checked and repaired (if necessary).
That’s it, guys. We assume this guide was helpful to you. For further queries, you can comment below.