The OnePlus 12, which is the first flagship phone to feature Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 8 Gen 3 chip, has been released in India. Its primary camera boasts a 50-megapixel resolution and uses a Sony LYT-808 sensor, while the telephoto camera has a 64-megapixel resolution and features 3x optical zoom. In addition to the OnePlus 12, the company has also launched the OnePlus 12R, which is essentially a rebranded version of the previously-released OnePlus Ace 3 in China. Both the OnePlus 12 and 12R come pre-installed with Android 14-based OxygenOS 14.
Some Oneplus 12 series smartphone users have reported issues with their fingerprint sensors not working correctly. This could be due to either a hardware or software problem. If it is a software problem, it can be fixed easily; however, if it is a hardware issue, you will need to seek assistance from the Oneplus service center. If you are experiencing this problem, this article will help you solve it. Below, we provide some standard solutions that you can try to fix your fingerprint sensor issue. So, without further ado, let’s get started.
How to Fix OnePlus 12 and 12R Fingerprint Sensor Not Working?
The fingerprint sensor not working issue could arise with any smartphone. But this list of solutions is catered to Oneplus 12 users specifically. Indeed, one of the solutions mentioned below should work out for you.
Make sure you are using the correct finger:
Sometimes, unlocking your smartphone using your fingerprint can be tricky. If you accidentally set up a wrong finger to unlock your phone, it won’t work. Therefore, it’s important to ensure you are using the correct finger that you set up for unlocking. If you’re sure that you are using the right finger and still facing issues, then try restarting your phone and try again. If the problem persists, you can move on to the next fix.
Check for any scratches or similar damage:
It’s possible to face difficulties with the fingerprint sensor if the area around the sensor is dirty or has scratches on the glass. Minor scratches are usually not an issue, but if the scratch is deep, the sensor won’t work at all. If you’ve confirmed that there are no scratches or dirt around the area of the fingerprint sensor, but it still isn’t working, try the next solution.
Remove and add fingerprint again:
Sometimes, a corrupted fingerprint stored on your device due to software inconsistencies can be fixed by removing the faulty fingerprint and adding it again.
- Open up Settings on your phone.
- Go to Security & Lock Screen.
- Tap on Fingerprint Unlock.
- Enter the password, PIN, or pattern of your device.
- Tap on Next and choose the option to remove the stored fingerprint.
- Tap on remove again to confirm your action.
- Now tap on Add new fingerprint and set up the fingerprint again.
Try the following fix if you are still struggling with the fingerprint sensor.
- Press and hold the Volume Up button and the Power button.
- Choose the option to turn off the device.
- Now press and hold the Volume Down + power button until you see the recovery menu on the screen.
- Select the Wipe Data and Cache option.
- Choose the Wipe Cache option.
- Tap on Yes to confirm your action.
- Then restart the phone.
Now, try using the fingerprint again. If it still does not work, move on to the next solution.
Check fingerprint hardware:
There is an option to check the fingerprint hardware on your Oneplus device. If there is any fault with the hardware itself, it will show up here.
- Dial *#808# and select the fingerprint test.
- Then, perform a fingerprint autotest.
- If the device passes the test, it would mean that the fingerprint hardware is working well. You can be confident that the issue is entirely with the software.
- Now, turn on your device and check for apps that ask for fingerprint access. Once you find them, reinstall those apps without permitting or reaccessing the fingerprint.
If you still struggle with the fingerprint sensor, move on to the next solution.
Switch to Guest User:
Oneplus, like other Android smartphones, lets you have multiple user profiles, similar to what we see with Windows machines. So try changing the user profile and check whether that solves your problem.
- Pull down the notification bar.
- Tap on the user account at the top right corner.
- Select Guest User,
- Now add another fingerprint and try unlocking with that.
Clear your fingerprint sensor and add it again if it works this time. And if the fingerprint is not working even with the guest profile, try the next fix.
This solution has worked for some Android users with fingerprint sensor issues.
- Open up Settings on your phone.
- Go to Apps.
- Select Show system app.
- Force stop “com. Fingerprints. services.”
- Press and hold the power button and the Volume up button.
- Long-press on the power off option.
- You will see the option to reboot in safe mode. Tap on it and then choose Yes.
- Once you are in safe mode, register your fingerprint again.
So these are all the solutions to fix the OnePlus 12 and 12R fingerprint sensors that are not working. If you have any questions or queries about this guide, comment below, and we will reply. Don’t forget to let us know which fix did the trick for you. Also, check out our other articles on iPhone tips and tricks, Android tips and tricks, PC tips and tricks, and much more for more helpful information.