OnePlus company has launched its first foldable smartphone, the OnePlus Open across the globe. This phone is equipped with the most powerful Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 processor that handles the difficult tasks and activities with ease. Talking about the battery capacity, it comes with a dual-cell 4800mAh battery with an 80W fast charger. However, it was the first OnePlus foldable smartphone, so it’s common to encounter such issues.
Recently, many users bought the OnePlus Open to experience the best performance, while some users get this device mainly to capture stunning shots. However, the bulk of users complained that the Oneplus Open isn’t charging properly. If you’ve moved to using the device as a daily driver, this could be unpleasant. Therefore, if you’re unable to charge your phone correctly, don’t brood. In this guide, we will walk you through the effective methods you can attempt to solve the issue. Without further ado, let’s get right to it.
- OnePlus Open Overview:
- Reasons Why OnePlus Open Not Charging Properly?
- Ways to Fix OnePlus Open Not Charging Properly
- Fix 1: Insert the Charger Correctly
- Fix 2: Use Original Charging Accessories
- Fix 3: Check the Cable & Adapter
- Fix 4: Clean the Charging Port
- Fix 5: Restart the Phone
- Fix 6: Try Using a Different Power Outlet
- Fix 7: Close Background Apps
- Fix 8: Update Software Version
- Fix 9: Factory Reset Your Phone
- Fix 10: Verify the Device Battery
- Fix 11: Check for Hardware Damage
- Fix 12: Visit Nearby Service Center
- Wrapping Up
OnePlus Open Overview:
The OnePlus Open is a powerful foldable smartphone that runs on Oxygen OS 13.2 which is based on Android 13. However, it comes with exclusive features and benefits, where consumers can access it with ease. It comes with a Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 chipset, which is more powerful and handles difficult tasks with ease. However, it comes with a 16GB of LPDDR5x RAM with expandable memory by using unused storage. Apart from that, the device comes with 512GB of UFS 4.0 onboard. It features a dual-SIM (Nano) setup.
Talking about connectivity options, it comes with 5G, 4G, LTE, Wi-Fi 7, Bluetooth 5.3, and other options along with NFC and USB Type-C port. In addition, the device comes with two high-quality screens, where both are quite impressive. The primary display comes with a 7.82-inch 2K Flexi-fluid LTPO 3.0 AMOLED Display that offers 1-120Hz refresh rate, a 240Hz touch response rate, and 2800 nits peak brightness. The outer display comes with a 6.31-inch 2K LTPO 3.0 Super Fluid AMOLED display which boasts a 10-120Hz dynamic refresh rate and bright brightness and touch response.
Furthermore, the major highlight features on the device is the triple camera setup which includes a 48MP primary camera with a Sony LYT-T808 sensor, a 64MP telephoto camera with OmniVision OV64B sensor, and a 48MP ultra-wide and macro camera with a Sony IMX581 sensor. The front camera comes with a 20MP primary camera on the inner display and a 32MP outer screen camera. The device supports a dual-cell 4800mAh battery with an 80W charger. Talking about the other features, it includes a face unlock, tri-state alert slider, a side-mounted fingerprint scanner, and other sensors for enhanced functionality.
Reasons Why OnePlus Open Not Charging Properly?
The OnePlus Open not charging properly is caused by various reasons. Here, we have listed the possible reasons behind OnePlus Open not charging properly:
- Faulty Charging Accessories: The OnePlus Open won’t charge properly if you’re using the faulty charging cable and adapter. It is necessary to check the cable and adapter for any defects.
- Running Background Apps: Certain apps might consume more power when the apps are running on the background. Therefore, if certain applications are running on the background, then it may consume powers and prevents the device to charge slow.
- Dust & Debris Particles: There’s a chance that the charging port is clogged with dust and debris particles, preventing the device from charging properly. Make sure to check the charging port for any dust particles.
- Software Issues & Glitches: Occasionally, the software issues and glitches might be the reason that prevents the applications and services to function correctly. It also prevents the OnePlus Open from charging sufficiently.
- Overheating Issue: In certain situations, the device isn’t charging properly if the phone gets too hot during charging. Avoid using the phone while charging and ensure it is placed at the normal temperature.
- Third-Party Apps: Certain third-party apps can interfere with charging on the phone. In such cases, you should remove third-party apps from the device or boot the device in safe mode to check the problem whether it has been fixed or not.
- Water Damage: Another main reason is the water damage on the OnePlus phone. If your device has been exposed to water or any other liquids, then it may not turn on. In such cases, you should immediately power off your phone, remove the SIM card, and dry it thoroughly. If the issue persists, then you should contact the customer support team.
- Defective Hardware: There’s a possibility that your phone isn’t charging properly due to hardware defective which includes the charging port. If the charging port has been damaged then you may experience issues while charging the device. To address the problem, you should contact the OnePlus support team for further assistance.
Ways to Fix OnePlus Open Not Charging Properly
Now you know the actual reasons behind the OnePlus Open not charging properly. Now, let’s focus on the solutions to address the issue. Below, we have listed the best ways you can attempt to resolve the issue. So, let’s discuss them one by one.
Fix 1: Insert the Charger Correctly
Generally, the phone isn’t charging properly if the charging cable isn’t correctly inserted on the charging port. In that case, you need to insert the charging cable properly on the charging port of your phone. After that, you should check whether the issue has been resolved. However, if the charging cable is properly inserted and still unable to charge properly, follow the next solution.
Fix 2: Use Original Charging Accessories
The OnePlus Open comes with an 80W fast charger including the USB Type-C charging cable that charges the device faster. If your phone isn’t charging properly, then ensure you’re using the original charging cable and adapter. It’s best to charge the device with original charging accessories that boost the charging speed as well.
Although, if you’re using the local charging cable and adapter then you may encounter issues with slow charging. Make sure that you’re charging your OnePlus phone with original charging accessories.
Fix 3: Check the Cable & Adapter
If you’re using the original charging cable and adapter, then you should try checking the charging accessories. However, the most misused hardware components when charging the battery are the charging cord and adapter. This is because it can easily be strained, bent, twisted, which can break down easily.
Make sure to check for any physical cuts or faults throughout the length of the charging cable. If you find any cuts on the cable, you need to replace the USB charging cable to a different one in order to charge the phone properly. Furthermore, if there are no cuts on the charging cable, then detach your old cable and try using a new cable.
Once you detach the cable then you should check your phone whether it’s charging or not. In case the phone is charging properly then the old charging cable you used was the main culprit that prevents the device from charging sufficiently. However, if the new USB charging cable doesn’t make any changes to the charging speed or it’s not charging properly, you will need to proceed with the method to verify what’s wrong.
Fix 4: Clean the Charging Port
Occasionally, the OnePlus Open device is not properly charging due to dust or debris particles on the charging port. However, if there are dust particles inside the charging port such as lint, debris, or other particles then it can cause the phone to not charge sufficiently. In that situation, you should try cleaning the charging port on the phone to resolve the problem.
Make sure to clean the charging port on the phone to avoid the slow charging issue. It will help you in resolving the charging issue on your OnePlus Open. You can clean the charging port by following the steps below:
- Firstly, shut down your OnePlus Open.
- Pick a toothpick or any sharp objects except the metallic objects to carefully remove the chunk. Be gentle because any damage to the charging pins will make you replace the entire charging port.
- Take a cotton swab and dip it into the isopropyl alcohol and then clean the charging port. [Since alcohol easily evaporates, it will remove the remnants and remaining particles.]
- Leave your phone idle for some time and then plug into the charger to check if the issue has been fixed.
Fix 5: Restart the Phone
Restarting the phone is an effective method that resolves various software issues and glitches on the phone. If your phone is not charging properly or charging slow, then it can be due to software issues and bugs. In that case, you should restart your phone.
This will resolve the temporary caches and issues related to software that prevents the phone from charging properly whether it is related to third-party applications. Ensure to restart your phone and then try checking the results. Here’s how to do it.
- Press and hold the Power button (side button) until and unless you see the Power off options.
- From the menu, you should select the Restart option.
- Once you tap on it, your phone will automatically shut down.
- After a moment, your phone will turn back on.
Fix 6: Try Using a Different Power Outlet
There might be a reason that you’re using the damaged power outlet when charging the phone with the original charging cable and adapter. In certain situations, you can try using a different power outlet to charge your OnePlus Open phone. After charging the device for 2~3 minutes, try checking if it’s charging properly with enough speed.
If your OnePlus phone is charging properly when you use a different power outlet, then it is likely possible that there’s an issue with the previous power outlet. Ensure to select the correct power source to get the device charged properly. If the issue persists after using the different power outlets, follow the next method.
Fix 7: Close Background Apps
Sometimes, the running background apps and services might be the reason because it consumes more battery power especially while charging the device. Although, if you are doing heavy tasks with certain apps on the device or playing high-level games then it usually prevents the device from charging sufficiently.
Make sure to close the background apps or services, especially the unnecessary apps. This will decrease the consuming power on the device while putting it into charge. After closing the background apps on the device you should check whether the problem has been resolved or not. In case the problem persists, follow the next method to address the issue.
Fix 8: Update Software Version
As mentioned earlier, the software issues and glitches can cause several issues and glitches, which usually prevents the device from charging properly. If you’re unable to charge your OnePlus Open properly or it’s getting slow charge, you should update the system software version.
Updating the system software to the most recent version resolves various issues and glitches including battery-related problems. Moreover, updating the device doesn’t only fix software issues and bugs, it also boosts the performance and increases the battery efficiency. Therefore, it is essential to check for a software update on your device.
To check for the software update on your OnePlus Open, follow these steps:
- Open the Settings app.
- Scroll down and tap on System.
- Under the System menu, you should select System updates.
- Here, your phone will automatically search for pending or new updates.
- Download and install the new updates by following the on-screen instructions.
- Once the download is finished, you should restart your phone to apply the changes.
Fix 9: Factory Reset Your Phone
If you can’t find any issues related to the hardware and everything is all perfect, then the issue can be due to software conflicts and glitches. In certain situations, it’s best to perform a factory reset. Factory reset is known for the powerful methods that solves several issues including the software issue and system applications.
Remember that resetting the device to the factory default state will completely delete all your phone data including documents, pictures, videos, and other data. Therefore, you should take a complete backup before proceeding to this step on your OnePlus. After completing the backup process, you can follow the steps below to proceed with the factory reset process on your device.
- Open the Settings app.
- Scroll down and tap on the Additional settings.
- Tap on the Back up and reset option and select Reset phone.
- Next, tap on Erase all data options.
- Select the needed option and then confirm it.
- Enter the phone passcode once the prompt appears on the screen.
Your OnePlus Open will automatically shut down once you proceed with the process. It will take some time to turn the device back on, so have some patience. After the boot up process, follow the on-screen prompts to set up the device. Check if the problem has been fixed by putting the phone into the charging. Hopefully, the issue has been resolved.
Fix 10: Verify the Device Battery
Battery is an essential component on the device where it plays a major role. It has a specific lifecycle which decreases when it progresses. If you’re encountering issues with the charging on the OnePlus phone, it is likely possible that the in-built battery is completely dead, or it has lost its efficiency.
In addition, your OnePlus Open phone has a non-removable battery, you can’t remove and swap it with a new battery. Therefore, if the battery is faulty or defective, you need to repair it with another one. I recommend going to a OnePlus service center or hiring a technician to replace the battery.
Fix 11: Check for Hardware Damage
The phone will not charge properly if there is an issue with the hardware components like damaged charging port, faulty battery, etc. In that scenario, you need to replace the faulty hardware components to resolve the problem. I recommend you contact the support team for expert assistance.
Fix 12: Visit Nearby Service Center
If none of the above workarounds helps in resolving the issue, you should contact the support team or visit the nearby OnePlus service center to get the device repaired if you find any hardware faults on the device related to battery and charging port.
The support team will suggest the fixes you can attempt to solve the issue if it’s related to software. But they’ll replace the battery if the Battery is defective. In the end, you can get back to charging your phone properly.
Charging issues on the OnePlus phone is really frustrating especially when you are using the device as a daily driver. However, you can’t use the OnePlus phone without charging the battery properly. Therefore, it is essential to charge the device properly in order to access the device. Luckily, you can resolve the issue by following the solutions outlined in this article.
We have listed the effective methods that you can attempt to fix the charging issues. In case the mentioned solutions don’t work out, reach out to authorized service centers to address the issue. The team will suggest you with their best solutions you can apply to fix the problem. We hope that this guide was helpful to you. If you have any queries related to this, let us know in the comments section and we will get back to you as soon as possible.