Android’s scope of customization has always fascinated the users. There are certain kinds of users who shell away hundreds of dollars on a flagship only to customize it from under the hood. By customizing we mean using custom ROMs, rooting, flashing TWRPs, etc. Now, all these customizations are possible only when the bootloader of the device is unlocked. In this post, we will tell you how to unlock bootloader on Google Pixel 4 and 4 XL. We have put up the important tools and a guide which will make the bootloader unlocking process convenient for you.
Table of Contents
Now, that we are talking about Google Pixel 4 and 4 XL, let’s discuss its specifications. Almost all the attributes on Pixel 4 and 4 XL are the same. However, what sets them apart is their display. While Pixel 4 has 5.7-inches of display the 4 XL has 6.3-inches of the display. Rest everything is similar on both the Pixel 4 and Pixel 4 XL.
Pixel 4 is offered with 6 GB of RAM and memory options of 64 and 128 GB. In the camera section, you get the dual rear camera of 12 + 16 MP and a selfie camera of 8 MP. It runs on Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 chipset and comes with Android 10 out-of-the-box. A Non-removable Li-Po 2800 mAh battery powers up the Pixel 4 while the Pixel 4 XL comes with a bigger 3700mAh battery. Both the devices support 18W fast charger.
What is Bootloader Unlock.?
It is a code that executes and makes sure that the device is starting up correctly. Making it more simple, when you start your device, you see the boot screen and all the initial occurrence, those are all taken care of by the bootloader. Usually, the bootloader is locked by the OEM by default when you buy the device. The reason is the manufacturer doesn’t want the user to unnecessarily tweak around the device. In fact, unlocking the bootloader will void the warranty of the device.
So, usually, it is warned to the users that they can unlock the bootloader and perform customizations only when the warranty period of the device is over.
How to unlock the bootloader on Google Pixel 4 and 4 XL
Before doing anything, go through the Requisite section provided below and make sure to download all the necessary tools and drivers which are important for the process.
- This guide is exclusively for the Google Pixel 4 and 4 XL
- Properly charge the battery of your devices before modifying them.
- Take a complete backup of your device data before unlocking the bootloader.
- A PC/Laptop with USB Cable
- Download Android USB Drivers for your PC
- Download ADB Fastboot and install it on your PC.
You May Also Like,
Unlocking the bootloader
- First of all, Make sure to take a complete backup. The bootloader unlocking process will wipe all your data. After you unlock the phone, you need to re-setup the device.
- Download and install the Android USB Drivers and extract the ADB Fastboot set up in the C:/Drive.
- Before following the steps below, you need to first activate the developer option to enable OEM Unlock and USB Debugging.
- To do that, Go into Settings –> System –> About Phone and tap on Build Number 6 – 7 times to activate the developer option.
- Once you are done, now open the developer option and enable the OEM unlock and USB Debugging
- Now connect your phone to PC using the original Type C cable.
- when you are connected, open the ADB folder inside the C:/Drive [Step 2]
- On your ADB Folder, Open the command window / PowerShell: To open Hold the Shift key and Right Mouse click anywhere inside the folder.
- Once your command window opens, enter the command written below to verify whether your device has connected to PC properly
- If the command show device has unauthorized, then on your Pixel 4/4XL, you will see a prompt popup message to allow USB Debugging. You can enable always allow from this computer and tap on OK button.
- Next, you can enter the bootloader or fastboot mode on your Pixel 4/4XL device using the command below.
adb reboot bootloader
- Your device will now boot into bootloader mode, now follow the below command to check if the device is connected properly to fastboot mode
- Your device value will be shown if the connection is perfect. If not, then make sure to download the latest USB Drivers and follow the steps again.
- To unlock the bootloader, enter the command given below.
fastboot flashing unlock
- Once you hit enter, your Pixel device will show a warning screen detailing the risks of unlocking the bootloader. You need to confirm using the Volume Key and enjoy unlocked Pixel 4 bootloader. Your device will perform a factory data reset and once you reboot, the device will look the same interface just like the out of box setup.
- Once you have done, you can reboot your device using the command
So, that’s it, guys. This was the entire process to unlock the bootloader on the Google Pixel 4 and Pixel 4 XL. We hope that this guide was useful to you. If you have any queries do let us know int he comments below.