As the new month arrives, Sony has started pushing the latest May 2020 Patch for Sony Xperia 1 and 5 that comes with a build number of 55.1.A.8.1 based on Android 10. Currently, the firmware OTA (FOTA) update is live for the device globally. So, all the keen Sony Xperia 1 and Xperia 5 users can easily get the latest update here.
It’s always recommended to check for firmware OTA (FOTA) updates manually on your respective devices in order to get notified earlier. As some times the OTA update notification may arrive quite lately. Talking about the May 2020 Android Security Patch Level, it basically improves the system stability and security enhancements that will gonna protect both of your device system and data. So, without further ado, let’s follow the OTA update checking process.
Check Software Updates (OTA)
We always mention that most of the smartphone OEMs provide software OTA updates in batches according to region and carrier. So, not all users may receive the update notification at the same time. However, you can manually check for the firmware OTA update on your handset via the Settings menu > System > System updates.
If the latest update is available, don’t hesitate to download and install it. This process is easy and time-saving. Ensure that you have active internet connectivity (Mobile Data or Wi-Fi) and the handset is charged more than 50% at least. However, if you feel that you’re not getting the update notification due to some reason, you can always check out our in-depth Sony stock firmware flashing steps below. Before heading over to the steps, let’s take a quick look at the firmware info below:
Firmware Info: 55.1.A.8.1
- Device Name: Sony Xperia 1 and 5
- Xperia 1: J9110 / J8170 / J8110
- Xperia 5: J9210, J8210, and J8270
- Region: Global
- Build Number: 55.1.A.8.1
- Android OS Version: Android 10
- Software Supported: Xperia Tool
- Android Security Patch Level: 2020-05-01
How to Flash Firmware on Sony Xperia 1 and 5 using Flash tool
In order to flash the firmware manually on your Sony Xperia 1 and 5 device, then you need to download the flash tool, firmware file, and drivers.
- The firmware update file is only for Xperia 1 / Xperia 5 model. Don’t try it on other models.
- Keep your device battery charged up to 60% at least to reduce the occasional shutdown.
- A PC or Laptop and a USB Cable are required to connect your device with the PC.
- Take a Complete Backup without Root of your device data before doing anything.
- Download and Install the Sony Flash Tool / XperiFirm Tool on your PC
- Download and Install the latest Sony USB Driver for Windows and MAC. [For All Android USB Drivers]
- Firmware Download:
Instructions to install
To install Stock Firmware on Sony Xperia 1 / Xperia 5, you need to first download the firmware file and drivers. After that, you can follow this detailed guide on how to install stock firmware using Sony Flash tool.
If the above method doesn’t work, try with XPeriaTool
Hope this guide will be helpful to you and you’ve successfully installed the latest update (55.1.A.8.1) on your Sony Xperia 1 / Xperia 5 device. If you have any queries, you can ask in the comments below