Customization has become quite common in today’s smartphones. There are a lot of people who love performing customization so that they can make their phone fit their exact needs. Actually, customization is of a lot of types and can be performed simply mainly due to open source nature of Android which is a common OS of most of today’s smartphones. When it comes to OnePlus 5, a lot of users want to have a custom kernel on their device. As OnePlus 5 is a recently introduced device, there are not many options available for customization that actually works. However, in this post, we guide you on installing a custom kernel on OnePlus 5.
Basically, a kernel is a channel between the software and the hardware of a device. When a software has to send a command to hardware, it sends the same through the kernel. Actually, it tells the processors and other components where the user touch on the screen and thus it helps to control the device. Installing a custom kernel simply enhances the device performance and in addition to this, it improves battery life up to a great extent. There are several other benefits of having the same in your device.
You can perform the tasks faster and can add a lot of new features on your device. Before you proceed further with the guide mentioned in this post, keep this thing in your mind that you need to unlock the bootloader of your device first. This is because there is a need to install the TWRP on your phone. After performing both these tasks, you can proceed further. Check out the below instructions for installing a custom kernel on your OnePlus 5.
- This method is for OnePlus 5 with TWRP installed.
- You must have an Unlocked Bootloader, if you already Unlocked, then skip this.
- If you don’t have then check out this link to install TWRP: TWRP Recovery on your phone.
Instructions to install custom kernel on OnePlus 5
- Get your copy of kernel from the World Wide Web.
- Once download, move the ZIP file to your device.
- Next is to boot the device into the Recovery Mode.
- At the top left, you will see “Install Button”, simply click on it.
- After this, browse for the kernel file you download and tap the same.
- You will see white arrows. Simply swipe them to right. This will start the installation process.
You may need to follow the AROMA installer in case it’s prompted. You also have the option to tap Reboot Button.
This is one of the very easy methods of installing a custom kernel on your OnePlus 5. It is necessary to ensure that the kernel you download is actually suitable with the OS you are using. Some kernels don’t give compatibility issues with OxygenOS while others can. Also, take the backup of your data before proceeding.