With the official arrival of Android 10, the native dark mode support also officially arrived at Google’s operating system. However, several of the applications and services of the Grand G already had this feature, in preparation for the arrival of the system renovation.
Throughout the last year, there have been talks of the highly acclaimed dark mode. This feature comes with Android 10, the new operating system from Google. It is a function in which apps will turn black to give a different touch, and of course, help your eyesight.
But what most did not know is that this dark mode feature has already been available in different Google applications. It’s just a matter of activating it, without having to wait for the Android 10 update to reach all devices. If you want to try your apps, then we will share certain tricks to achieve it.
What is the function of the dark mode?
In addition to giving a stylized and elegant touch to the apps, it’s the main objective to save battery consumption and eye damage. For that reason, it is advisable to activate it and enjoy all its benefits.
The main Google browser has among its tools a way to make it dark without the need for the latest Android 10 update. To do this, you need to follow these steps:
- Open Chrome and go to “chrome: // flags”
- Place yourself in the search engine and write “Dark.”
- Three options will appear, from which you will have to choose the one that says “Enabled.”
- Once the app has restarted, you will see everything in black colors. It is important that you know that not all pages will be active.
This tool in the email app has been expanding little by little, so not all users have access to it. You can try from your device and test if you are already one of the lucky ones with this interface. If so, the steps to activate the dark mode in Gmail are:
- Download and install the latest version of Gmail for Android from APKMirror
- Open Gmail and go to “General Settings”
- Find the “Theme” option and choose the “Dark” option
- If you are one of those who still do not have the function active, do not worry, it will not take long to be available to all users worldwide.
Calendar, as well as the rest of Google’s applications, will soon adapt to Android 10 and its dark theme. However, from now on you can activate it precisely in this app if it is one of the most commonly used to schedule your commitments, tasks, and jobs. To do this you just have to follow these steps:
- In the configuration, access the “General” section
- Choose the theme of the application “Dark” and go
- The best thing is that this configuration is preserved if you use your calendar as your smartphone widget. This way, you save a lot more battery, and none of your scheduled commitments will be modified.
Unlike all the apps mentioned above, YouTube is independent of the changes that Google will have with the new Android 10. So to modify it in a dark mode, you will have to do it by adjusting the app to night mode, especially if you are one of those who spend the nights enjoying watching videos before bedtime.
To activate this night mode, you have to follow these steps:
- Enter YouTube, and go to its menu, select the option “Settings.”
- Once there, choose “General.”
- You will find an option to activate “Dark Theme.”
Google Play Games
Google Play Games is the first of the Google Play suite apps to join the dark theme fashion. It is also one of the tools with the best implementation of Google Material Theme, with great images and graphics that stand out from the rest of the interface. As in the vast majority of apps, to activate the dark theme open the application settings and activate the corresponding option.
By now, you should know the advantages of using two-step verification in all your accounts. If so, it is likely that you already use one of the verification apps such as Google Authenticator, which despite not being the most popular, is one of the most useful tools created by the company, and of course, it already has a dark mode.
Interestingly, this app comes with the dark mode activated by default, and in case you want to use the light theme, you will have to click on the button in the upper right and click on “see in light mode.”
Without becoming a dark theme to use, which affects the entire app interface, Google Maps also offers the possibility of activating a night mode for the navigation view. Normally, this mode is activated automatically at night, but it is also possible to keep it activated permanently.
- To do this, you have to access the application settings and follow these steps:
- Go to the “Navigation settings” and look for the “Color scheme” section.
- Activate the night mode by selecting the “Night” option.
The Google notes application, Keep, also received its dose of darkness after the arrival of the update that marked the arrival of the Material Theme design. In this case, the background of the app becomes dark gray, and the colors of the notes become more muted colors to improve readability. These are the steps to follow to activate it:
- Open Google Keep and display the side options menu.
- Click on “Settings” and activate the option “Enable dark theme.”
Google matched the redesign of Google Drive with the arrival of the dark theme. Now, the Google cloud storage application already has this option, which can be activated from the settings:
- Display the side menu and access the “Settings” menu
- In the “Theme” section, select the “Dark” option
These are, for now, all Google applications that offer the possibility of activating a dark mode. We could have also added Wear OS, but the application interface already has black backgrounds natively, and there is no way to change the appearance. However, since the deployment of Google Material Theme lines is being carried out progressively and now that Android 10 is already among us. Over the months, we will likely see how more and more applications of the company are added to this trend.