The iCloud Keychain is a password management tool used in Mac OS and iOS devices. The tool is well integrated with the Apple ecosystem, and hence it is mostly used by iOS users. The tool, if enabled, captures login credentials as you enter and save it under your Apple ID to the iCloud. So, whenever you log in to that website again, keychains fills in the details section automatically.
In this modern time, where we have plenty of login details usernames and passwords to remember, password managers prove to be very helpful in these situations. Hence the only password we have to remember is the Apple ID password or the password manager’s password. So, in this article, we will see how to set up keychain and manually add passwords to the keychain list.
Table of Contents
How to manually add passwords to iCloud Keychain
Firstly we have to enable the keychain option in your device. So, to enable iCloud keychain in any iOS devices to follow these steps:
- Open setting app in your iOS device and tap on the Apple ID banner.
- Now, scroll down to iCloud and tap on it.
- From there, tap on Keychain and enable it by sliding the toggle switch.
Note that you have to set up two-factor authentication on your Apple ID in order to enable keychain on your iPhone or iPad. So, if you haven’t done that, please follow these steps to enable two-factor authentication:
- Firstly, open settings and tap on your Apple ID banner.
- Scroll down to Password and security, Tap on two-factor authentication.
- Now follow the steps on the screen and complete the setup.
- It will ask you to enter a working phone number to receive an OTP code. So give a number that you currently have access to.
Manually Adding New password via iPhone.
Now, you can access and add passwords in keychain from the settings app on your iOS iPhone or iPad. To add a new password fr any website, follow these steps:
- Open the Settings app and scroll down to Passwords and Account.
- Now tap on Websites and app passwords, provide Face ID, or Touch ID if prompted.
- Now, tap on the plus(+) symbol on the top right.
- Provide credentials like username, password by giving the website address in appropriate fields.
- Now tap on Done, it will add it to the entry.
Manually Adding New password via MacOS
If you have a Mac PC, you can also manually add passwords to the iCloud keychain from it. To do so,
- Open keychain access app in your Mac
- Click on New Keychain item (+ symbol) from the toolbar.
- Now enter credentials like name, username, and password.
- Click on save to save the information.
So to sum it up, these were the steps to manually add passwords in the iCloud keychain. As you can see, these steps are easy and friendly so that you can set it up without any hassle. But it is always wise to protect your Apple ID password. Keep it confidential and do not use the same passwords for many websites. Use the keychain to generate strong passwords while signing up on a website. And have pleasant and safe browsing.