It looks like that the Service Host: Agent Activation Runtime is consuming higher CPU usage if the sound driver is corrupted or the audio service is in the error state. Whereas a wrong configuration of Cortana service may also trigger such issues unexpectedly. If you’re also facing the Agent Activation Runtime_15831 High CPU and Memory Consumption issue, check this guide to fix it.
Once the system resources are getting highly used by the particular task, your Windows computer becomes sluggish. Whenever users open the Task Manager, Service Host: Agent Activation Runtime is always taking a lead in terms of consuming CPU and Memory usage. Although sometimes a normal reboot of the system may fix such an issue, there are a couple of workarounds mentioned below.
Fix: Agent Activation Runtime_15831 High CPU and Memory Consumption
Some of the users have mentioned that a simple restart may fix the issue. Whereas some unfortunate users are saying that the problem persists which isn’t a good thing. So, without wasting any more time, you can follow all the possible methods below.
1. Re-Enable Audio Service
Agent Activation Runtime service can occur due to the use of higher system resources on Windows 10. If in case, you disable the audio service and re-enable it on your system, the chances are high enough that you may be able to fix the Agent Activation Runtime_15831 High CPU and Memory Consumption issue.
- Click on the Start Menu > Type cmd.
- Right-click on Command Prompt from the search result.
- Select Run as administrator > If prompted by UAC, click on Yes to proceed.
- Make sure to type the following command and hit Enter to stop the audio service:
net stop audiosrv
- Once done, you’ll need to re-enable the audio service again by executing the command below:
net start audiosrv
- Close the command prompt window and restart your computer to apply changes.
2. Log Out of Cortana
Microsoft Cortana Voice Assistance service for Windows 10 may also trigger the Agent Activation Runtime issue if the Cortana is randomly being called by the Agent Activation service. If you can log out of Cortana and then disable it, you may fix the problem easily.
- Click on the Start Menu > Type Cortana. [You can also click on Cortana from the Taskbar]
- Click to open it > Go to three-horizontal bars (Menu).
- Select Sign Out > Confirm it.
- Now, right-click on Taskbar > Click to Uncheck Show Cortana button from the list.
- You can restart your computer once to check for the issue.
3. Disable Cortana
If in case, the Agent Activation Runtime_15831 issue is still appearing to you, make sure to follow the steps below to disable Cortana.
- Press Windows + X keys to open Quick Start Menu.
- Click on Task Manager > Go to the Startup tab.
- Select Cortana from the list > Click on Disable.
- Now, click on the Start Menu > Type Cortana.
- Go to App Settings > Turn Off Cortana from the Runs at log-in option.
- Make sure to reboot your computer to apply changes.
- Finally, you should be able to resolve the Agent Activation Runtime_15831 High CPU and Memory Consumption issue.
4. Reinstall Sound Driver
As the particular problem is most probably causing due to the corrupted or missing sound driver on your Windows system. If you also feel the same, make sure to try reinstalling the sound driver properly. To do this:
- Head over to the respective manufacturer’s website and download the latest sound driver file on your computer.
- Now, press Windows + X keys to open the Quick Start Menu.
- Select Device Manager from the list > Double-click on Sound, Video, and Game Controllers.
- Right-click on your audio device > Select Uninstall Device.
- Make sure to enable the Delete the Driver Software for This Device checkbox.
- Then click on Uninstall again to complete the process.
- Next, install the downloaded latest sound driver file.
- Restart your computer to apply changes to check for the issue.
5. Disable Agent Activation Runtime Service
It may also possible that the Agent Activation Runtime service is stuck in the operation somehow and causing such an issue. You should disable the service manually to resolve the issue.
- Press Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog box.
- Now, type services.msc and hit Enter to open Services.
- If prompted by UAC, click on Yes to allow the permission.
- Locate the Agent Activation Runtime service from the list.
- Double-click on it to open the properties interface.
- Here select Disabled from the Startup type. [If already the service is stopped, make sure to select Disabled and click on Apply]
- Next, click on Stop to pause the service.
- Click on Apply to save changes > Select OK and reboot your computer to check whether the Agent Activation Runtime_15831 High CPU and Memory Consumption issue has been fixed or not.
6. Tweak Windows Registry Key
If none of the methods worked for you, try editing the Windows registry keys by following the steps below to resolve the issue.
Please Note: If you’re not sure what you’re doing, create a system restore point and then you can perform the steps below.
- First of all, make sure that you’ve already disabled the Agent Activation Runtime service from the above method.
- Now, press Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog box.
- Type regedit and hit Enter to open Registry Editor.
- If prompted by UAC, you can click on Yes to run it as administrator.
- Head over to the following path:
- Click to select AarSvc registry key from the left pane.
- Double-click on the Start value from the right pane.
- Make sure to change the value to 4 and close the dialogue box.
- Select AarSvc_XXXXX registry key from the left pane.
- Again double-click on the Start value from the right pane.
- Change the value to 4 and close the registry editor window.
- Finally, reboot your computer to check for the issue.
That’s it, guys. We assume this guide was helpful to you. For additional queries, you can comment below.