Asus Zenfone 6 Also known as Asus 6Z in India (codename: I01WD) is the new flagship device from Asus after the success of Asus Zenfone 5Z. The device was launched this year with Android 9.0 Pie out of the box. Later the company promised to roll Android 10 Q beta for the same. Here in this guide, we will share the AOSP Android 10 (aka Android Q) Custom ROM for Asus Zenfone 6.
Android 10 is now official as Google’s 10th version of Android OS with plenty of new features and system UI changes. The Android 10 (aka Android Q) started rolling out Google Pixel devices, Essential PH, Redmi K20 Pro, OnePlus 7 Pro devices. Google doesn’t come with any dessert item name for the new Android version this time and that’s a good move. If you’re new to the Android ecosystem, it’s worth mentioning that Android is an Open Source Project (AOSP) by Google. Follow this guide to download and install Android 10 ROM on Asus Zenfone 6 (I01WD) device.
The AOSP is a custom ROM which means any smartphone OEM can make or customize Android ROM according to their need via the source code. All the Custom ROM or Custom Firmware runs on Android OS version from the core but offers a different kind of user experience. Now, let’s take a look at the device specifications in brief.
Table of Contents
Asus Zenfone 6 Specifications: Overview
The Asus Zenfone 6 sports a huge 6.4-inches IPS LCD touch display with a resolution of 1080 × 2340 pixels. There is no notch or punch-hole camera on the display which offers a 92% screen-to-body ratio. It’s pack with the Corning Gorilla Glass 6 protection and has a full glass body. It powers with Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 SoC and paired with up to 8GB of RAM. The phone also comes with up to 256GB of internal storage. While the storage can be expandable up to 200GB via a dedicated MicroSD card slot.
The handset packs a motorized flip-up all-in-one camera module of a 48MP (f/1.8) Sony IMX586 sensor and a 13MP (f/2.4) ultrawide-angle lens along with an LED flash. The camera module will work on both sides for taking rear and selfie cameras by flipping up the module. It’s a motorized module which works perfectly and quite quickly as well. The Zenfone 6 (2019) is powered by Android 9.0 Pie with ZenUI 6 out-of-the-box. It packs a 5,000 mAh battery with Quick Charge 4.0 fast charging support. The handset also features a rear-mounted fingerprint sensor which is quite faster than its predecessor.
The device also includes Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, GPS, A-GPS, Bluetooth 5.0, NFC, USB Type-C port, 3G/4G LTE, dual Nano-SIM, etc. Meanwhile, the phone includes accelerometer, ambient light, compass, gyro, proximity sensor, etc. The Asus ZenFone 6 (2019) measures 159.10 × 75.44 × 8.40mm and weighs around 190 grams. It’s available in Midnight Black and Twilight Silver color options.
What’s on Android 10?
Google has started rolling out the latest Android 10 version update to its Pixel series devices which is the 10th iteration of Android OS. It brings plenty of new features to the device system like system UI, new gesture navigation, improved privacy and location control. The update also offers enhanced app permissions, foldable display support, security features, system-wide dark mode, etc.
The Android 10 also offers built-in call screening, multi-camera API, smart replies in the notification panel, 5G support, improved call quality, bubble feature, live caption, and more. While the latest version also improves battery life, Focus mode which is similar to the Do Not Disturb mode, etc. Apart from that Android 10 also features 65 new emojis. It also comes with direct audio streaming support to hearing aid devices.
Android 10 Features
Here we will provide short details of the most highlighted features of Android 10 (aka Android Q). Check out the Top 10 Android 10 features.
- Live Caption: This feature will automatically start caption when you will play media on your phone.
- Smart Reply: It will offer suggested responses or actions to your incoming messages like Facebook Messenger.
- Sound Amplifier: It will boost audio, filter background noise, and fine-tune the sound for the improved listening experience.
- New Gesture Navigation: This system is now smoother and faster than before.
- Dark Theme: It offers better battery backup and reduces eye strain during lowlight conditions.
- Privacy Controls: It feature offers your device system to choose when and how your data will be shared.
- Location Controls: It feature also offers advanced security layer and control any apps or the map to access your location.
- Faster Security Updates: This option will be useful for both the smartphone OEMs and users via Google Play service. This will offer faster updates.
- Focus Mode: It’s an improved version of Digital Wellbeing feature with enhanced user interface and few changes.
- Family Link: It’s quite similar to the Focus mode which is basically for kids. The parents can now control device or apps usage time limits and content limits as well.
Android 10 AOSP Custom ROM:
After the release of Android 10 officially to Pixel devices, Xiaomi and OnePlus are also providing beta builds. Now, the AOSP Custom ROM developers have developed the latest ROM version for the Asus Zenfone 6 devices. We have mentioned some of the working features below.
- RIL ( Data,SMS,Calls )
- Video Playback
- SELinux is permissive
- Recovery broken
- Probably more
A special thanks to one of the developers of XDA senior member, OrdenKrieger for this Android 10 ROM for Asus Zenfone 6 (I01WD). Now, check out the installation steps along with download links and pre-requirements below.
Steps to Install Android 10 ROM on Asus Zenfone 6
First, you have to unlock the device bootloader in order to flash any Custom ROM. Then you have to use this recovery to flash the ROM. However, this recovery won’t work for Pie-based ROMs. So you’ll need to use this recovery for flashing this Android 10 ROM only. But before going to the process. let’s take a look at requirements and download links first.
- This is Android 10 based AOSP Custom ROM file and supported for Asus Zenfone 6 (I01WD) only.
- You will require to unlock the device bootloader at first.
- Download the required TWRP file, AOSP ROM file, and Android 10 GApps file from below.
- Keep your device battery charged up to 60% at least for a smoother process.
- Take a complete backup of your device data without Root. In case anything goes wrong, you can easily restore all the data.
Instructions to Install:
- Make sure that you have downloaded all the required files on your device.
- Both slots “_a” and “_b” must be flashed with stock firmware, otherwise, you will brick your device!: Link
- Now, copy the TWRP image file, GApps file, and ROM zip file to your device internal storage.
- Next, reboot your Asus Zenfone 6 into recovery mode.
- You will boot into TWRP Recovery mode.
- In recovery menu, tap on Install button > Install Image > Select the TWRP Image file from the location where you have moved earlier.
- Swipe to confirm flash.
- Now, reboot to recovery mode again.
- In the TWRP menu, go to Wipe section.
- Select Advanced Wipe > Select the data, system, vendor, cache. Then swipe to wipe it.
- Flash the ROM zip file from the Install option.
- The system will be mounted already Uncheck it & Remount system and vendor manually. Then flash Gapps zip file as well.
- Finally, reboot your phone into a new system. Wait for it, as the boot process will take a few minutes.
- That’s it. Enjoy!
We hope that this guide is helpful to you and you have successfully installed the AOSP Android 10 Custom ROM on your Asus Zenfone 6 handset easily. If in case anything goes wrong or if you have any queries, feel free to ask in the comments below.