New update on September 4, 2020: Realme is now rolling out a new update for the Realme 5 and Realme 5s. the update reportedly bumps the security patch level of the duo to August 2020. Not only this, but the update also brings along tons of new features and enhancements. Notably, it brings a super nighttime standby feature, Smooth scrolling, status bar fixes, camera fixes, and more. The update is rolling out with version RMX1911EX_11.C.55 for both the devices and is coming via OTA in batches. For more info, here is the official changelog of the update:
● Android Security Patch: August, 2020
● Added Super nighttime standby feature
● Added Smooth scrolling feature
● Added long press to copy IMEI in the status information interface
● Optimized the default display of battery percentage
● Added long press to uninstall apps directly in the app drawer
● Fixed the issue that the split screen cannot be used after enable the third-party launcher
● Added independent Switch toggles of focus mode
● Added OTG Switch toggle to notification panel
● Optimized status bar viewing, added second display option
● Optimized viewing for system update prompt pop-up window
● Fixed the issue that the preview and video recording interfaces are dimmed in night scenes while using third-party applications
New update on May 29, 2020: The stable Android 10 Realme UI update is now officially live for the Realme 5s and Realme 5 users. However, being a staged rollout not all the units will pick up the update at the same time. But, Realme has a solution for such users. Those who wish to grab the stable update right after it is made official can register themselves with the Android 10 stable update early bird access for the Realme 5s and Realme 5. Note that it is based on a first come first serve basis and will be available only for the users who have registered.
New Update on May 18, 2020: Good news for all the Realme 5 and 5s users as the Android 10 update over Realme UI beta comes with a couple of optimizations and the latest May 2020 Android Security Patch level. Make sure that the update is only available for the Realme UI beta testers of Realme 5 and 5s models. The Realme 5 is receiving the software version RMX1911EX_11_C.35 and Realme 5s is receiving RMX1925EX_11_C.35 via OTA.
It also brings the May 2020 Android patchset for both the models along with improved power consumption of standby mode, the improved time consumption of entering sleep, optimizes switching rate of the Candy Crush Legend, improves camera performance, and others. You can check out the full update changelog below:
- Android security patch: May 2020
- Optimized power consumption of standby mode
- Optimized time consuming of entering sleep
- Optimized switching rate of the Candy Crush Legend
- Optimized stability and quality of camera
- Improved some performance
- Recovered some detail information about device
Now, we have to wait for the official stable update release and all the interested Realme 5/5s users should check for the OTA update manually.
New Update on May 5, 2020: The subsidiary brand Realme of Oppo becomes one of the popular smartphone brands in India. The brand is also quite active in pushing firmware updates to its devices. While according to the Realme UI update timeline, Realme has promised that they will push the Android 10 (Realme UI 1.0) update to Realme 5, Realme 5s, and Realme X2 models in May 2020.
As the May month has arrived, the Realme India Support Twitter handle has mentioned that the Realme UI will be available for Realme 5 models in this month. So, we can expect that the beta update will be available initially.
Finally, the April security patches for the Realme 5 and Realme 5s are out for the users of the phones. The updates are purely incremental in nature and are based on the Android 9 Pie. Notably, both the Realme 5 and Realme 5s have slated to pick up the Android 10 based Realme UI update somewhere around the month of May 2020. Keep in mind that both the Realme devices were launched back in 2019 and came with Android 9 Pie out of the box. With the Android 10 (Realme UI) update, both the devices will be picking up their first major Android OS update.
Talking about this new update arriving on the Realme 5 and Realme 5s via OTA, it comes with version number RMX1911EX_11_A.28. Apart from the April 2020 security patch, the updates also bring in some bugfixes for known bugs and issues on both the units. You can check out the complete firmware information and the common changelog of the update received on both the devices, below:
Firmware Information and Changelog
- Model: Realme 5 and Realme 5s
- Android: Android 9 Pie
- Software Version: RMX1911EX_11_A.28
- Security Patch Level: April 2020
- Release Date: 28/4/2020
● Android security patch: April, 2020
● Fixed some known bugs, and improved system stability
Ideally, the updates will be pushed via OTA in batches for the Realme 5 and 5s, meaning that it will take some time in hitting all the units. Users can head over to System>>About Phone>>Software Updates, to check for the update notification manually.
However, if you do not wish to wait for the OTA and want to upgrade you devices manually or locally then, you can download the update package file for both the devices and update your phone with the latest security patches:
Table of Contents
How to Install AOSP Android 10 for Realme 5 [GSI Treble]
So, you’re here, and right now reading this article that means you’re a primary user of the Realme 5 device and looking for an Android 10 Custom ROM to install. The said device was launched in 2019 and runs on Android 9.0 Pie out-of-the-box. As we all know that Google has released the official Android 10 version a couple of months ago and then announced the AOSP 10 Source Code as well. So, now you can download and install AOSP Android 10 for Realme 5 by following this guide.
Now, you may ask why to install Custom Firmware? Realme brand is known for its affordable budget category smartphones, rugged devices, bigger smartphone batteries, and more. But when it comes to the faster and frequent software updates or Android updates, we can’t assure that for Realme. Therefore, as a Realme 5 device user, if you’re looking for the official stable Android 10 update, probably you may not receive it anytime soon. So, it’s better to install AOSP Android 10 and get a taste of it.
Thanks to XDA recognized developer phhusson for building and sharing the AOSP Android 10 GSI Treble build for all the Project Treble supported devices. Project Treble supports all the Android 8.0 Oreo or higher version running handsets. Now, you may ask what is GSI? A GSI (Generic System Image) is an image with a ‘Pure Android’ implementation with unmodified AOSP code for Android devices. To recall, let’s head over to the device specifications below and then follow the full guide as well.
Realme 5 Specifications
Realme 5 was announced in August 2019 which sports a 6.5-inch IPS LCD display with a screen resolution of 1600 x 720 pixels with 269 PPI pixel density. The device is protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 3.
Realme 5 is powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 665 (11 nm) chipset coupled with 3/4GB of RAM and 32/64/128GB of internal storage. It also supports a 256GB external memory card. The device came out of the box with Android 9.0 Pie under ColorOS 6 and backed by a 5000 mAh battery (Non-removable).
As far as the camera concerned, the device has a Four-camera setup with 12MP + 8MP +2MP + 2MP primary sensors and a selfie camera with a 13MP lens. Other connectivity option includes 4G-VoLTE, GPS, Glonass, Bluetooth, Mobile Hotspot, accelerometer, ambient light sensor, gyroscope, proximity sensor, and compass/ magnetometer. etc. The Realme 5 come with a rear fingerprint sensor feature.
What’s on Android 10?
Google has started rolling out the latest Android 10 version update to its Pixel series devices which is the 10th iteration of Android OS. It brings plenty of new features to the device system like system UI, new gesture navigation, improved privacy and location control. The update also offers enhanced app permissions, foldable display support, security features, system-wide dark mode, etc.
The Android 10 also offers built-in call screening, multi-camera API, smart replies in the notification panel, 5G support, improved call quality, bubble feature, live caption, and more. While the latest version also improves battery life, Focus mode which is similar to the Do Not Disturb mode, etc. Apart from that Android 10 also features 65 new emojis. It also comes with direct audio streaming support to hearing aid devices.
Android 10 Features
Here we will provide short details of the most highlighted features of Android 10 (aka Android Q). Check out the Top 10 Android 10 features.
- Live Caption: This feature will automatically start caption when you will play media on your phone.
- Smart Reply: It will offer suggested responses or actions to your incoming messages like Facebook Messenger.
- Sound Amplifier: It will boost audio, filter background noise, and fine-tune the sound for the improved listening experience.
- New Gesture Navigation: This system is now smoother and faster than before.
- Dark Theme: It offers better battery backup and reduces eye strain during lowlight conditions.
- Privacy Controls: It features offers your device system to choose when and how your data will be shared.
- Location Controls: It feature also offers advanced security layers and control any apps or the map to access your location.
- Faster Security Updates: This option will be useful for both the smartphone OEMs and users via Google Play service. This will offer faster updates.
- Focus Mode: It’s an improved version of the Digital Wellbeing feature with an enhanced user interface and few changes.
- Family Link: It’s quite similar to the Focus mode which is basically for kids. The parents can now control devices or apps usage time limits and content limits as well.
Steps to Install AOSP Android 10 on Realme 5
PHH’s AOSP Android 10 GSIs are still marked as a pre-release. Even on a device that runs Pie GSIs nicely, it’s still possible to get broken media, camera, RIL or even flat-out no-boot. You are strongly advised to try PHH’s original and then identify/report issues there, before moving onto other GSIs that is based on this work. Please report bugs there only if it’s specific to this GSI.
We’re at GetDroidTips won’t be responsible for any kind of damage or error that occurs to your handset while or after following this guide. This is a Custom ROM and may contain some of the bugs or stability issues. We can’t recommend you to use this firmware as your daily driver. Proceed at your own risk.
First, you have to unlock the device bootloader in order to flash any Custom ROM. But going to the process. let’s take a look at requirements and download links first.
- You need to unlock the bootloader at first.
- ARM, ARM64, or x86: Check your Android Phone’s Processor
- Treble Support: Check If Your Smartphone Supports Project Treble
- Download the required Android 10 GSI ROM file and Android 10 GApps file from below.
- Keep your device battery charged up to 60% at least for a smoother process.
- Take a complete backup of your device data without Root. In case anything goes wrong, you can easily restore all the data.
A only arm32 – arm avN
A only arm64 – arm64 avN
A/B arm64 – arm64 bvN
A/B arm32 – arm bvN
Instructions to Install:Guide to Install Generic System Image (GSI) on Your Android Device
We hope that this guide is helpful to you and you have successfully installed the AOSP Android 10 Custom ROM on your Realme 5 handset easily. If in case anything goes wrong or if you have any queries, feel free to ask in the comments below.
If you find any problem with the latest build of Android 10 GSI, then you can report it on the official GitHub page: Click Here