Essential Phone PH-1 (codename: mata) smartphone was launched in May 2017. The phone came out of the box with Android 7.1 Nougat and later upgrade to Android 8.1 Oreo. Recently, Google rolled Android Pie beta test and this device also received the official Android 9.0 Beta update program. But today we have something unofficial. Yes, now you can upgrade Android 9.0 Pie update for Essential Phone with AOSP version.
The Essential Phone PH-1 features a 5.71-inch display. It is powered by Qualcomm MSM8998 Snapdragon 835 processor clubbed with 4GB of RAM and 128GB of internal memory. Essential PH-1 sports Dual 13MP rear camera and 8MP front camera. The handset runs on Android 7.1 Nougat out of the box and later upgraded to Android 8.1 Oreo.
Google finally released the 9th iteration of Android OS called Android 9.0 Pie. The update has rolled for Pixel supported devices and few other OEM supported with Android Beta. After putting Android users through four beta updates of Android P, Google has named Android 9.0 as Android Pie. It is expected that in the coming months all the devices that had been signed up for the Android P beta program including the OnePlus 6, Oppo R15 Pro, Vivo X21 and more will receive the Android P update first.
Table of Contents
When will Google release Android 9.0 Pie update for Essential Phone?
Essential has already rolled the beta version of Android 9.0 Pie for those who joined the beta programme. If you don’t like the stock Android experience with beta, then you can now =try the custom ROM based on AOSP Android 9.0 Pie update. The developers are working currently to get a beta build of Android 9.0 Pie for this device. Check out the below instructions on how to try AOSP Android 9.0 Pie Update on Essential Phone (mata).
What’s on Android 9.0 Pie?
Watch our video to know what’s new in Android 9.0 Pie and top features on it.
Android 9.0 Pie is the 9th iteration and a major update of Google’s Android OS. The new Android Pie brings a couple of design changes to the successor Android Oreo but the most notable one is the gesture-based navigation system. Other features of Android 9 Pie are New Quick Settings UI design, Redesigned volume slider, Advanced Battery with AI Support, Notch Support, Improved Adaptive Brightness, Manual theme selection, Android Dashboard which Google calls Digital Wellbeing, and more other features.
Want to try Android 9.0 Pie update for Essential Phone?
If you want to enjoy Android 9.0 Pie features, then follow the below guide.
Make sure you have Unlocked Bootloader and installed TWRP Recovery on Essential Phone.
- Supported on Essential Phone PH-1 (mata)
- Charge your phone up to 50% or more.
- Take a complete backup of your phone data [Follow any method]
- How to Backup Your Android Phone Without ROOT
- How to Backup Complete Stock or Custom ROM using TWRP recovery
- Backup Your Android Apps and Data with Titanium Backup
- How to Backup Your Android Phone Directly to PC with TWRP!!
- How to Backup Your Data on Android device
- If you already have TWRP: then you can Create and Restore Nandroid Backup via TWRP
- Unlock The Bootloader on the Essential Phone device
- Install the latest TWRP recovery on Essential Phone.
- Download the AOSP Android 9.0 Pie. [Thanks to the XDA Recognized developer Seraph08]
- Download Android 9.0 Pie Gapps package. [Flash Gapps after rebooting to a system and then back to recovery]
Instructions to Install on Essential Phone:
- Move the download AOSP Android 9.0 Pie and Android Pie Gapps to internal storage [root folder]
- Now boot your device into TWRP Recovery.
- Before installing Wipe System Data on TWRP Recovery (DO NOT WIPE INTERNAL STORAGE)
- Now follow the guide on how to flash custom ROM using TWRP Recovery
- reboot to system, then again recovery and then you can follow the same guide to flash the Gapps file on your phone.
- That’s it! You can reboot your device to enjoy AOSP Android 9.0 Pie Update on Essential Phone.
Root Android 9.0 Pie on Essential Phone:
We are not responsible if the rooting procedure didn’t work on your phone.
Download and Install SuperSU root on your phone.
If you don’t want SuperSU rooting guide, then you can try Magisk on your phone.
Hope this guide was helpful to install AOSP Android 9.0 Pie update for Essential Phone.