Here in this article, we will provide you the guide on how to download and install AOSP Android 9.0 Pie on Lava Z40. Android is an Open Source platform, runs on Linux, which can be customizable and easy to use. The AOSP means the ‘Android Open Source Project.’ Due to Android’s open-source nature, anyone can download the source code and customize it to develop a new custom version of Android. At the same time, the latest Android 9.0 Pie is so much accessible and fully-featured official stable Android version yet globally.
The AOSP Custom ROM is based on Android 9.0 Pie GSI with Project Treble support. Here GSI stands for ‘Generic System Image.’ The Generic System Images can be installed on any treble compatible Android devices. You can now install the AOSP Android Pie 9.0 GSI on Lava Z40 smartphone by following the guide mentioned below. Thanks to one of the recognized XDA Developer phhusson who made it possible to install Project-Treble-GSI build on Android devices, which are Treble compatible.
Project Treble introduced in Android Oreo, and then most of the smartphone OEMs also prefer to include this. It let users and smartphone OEMs to deliver future Android updates quite faster. In order to install AOSP Android 9.0 Pie on Lava Z40 smartphone, your device bootloader must be unlocked, and it will be flashed via ADB sideload method.
Table of Contents
Lava Z40 Specifications:
Lava Z40 was announced in March 2019 which sports a 4-inch TN display with a screen resolution of 800 x 480 pixels with 224 PPI pixel density.
The smartphone is powered by a Spreadtrum SC9832E chipset coupled with 1GB of RAM and 8GB of internal storage. It also supports an external memory card. The device came out of the box with Android 8.1 Oreo and backed by a 2250 mAh battery (Non-removable).
As far as the camera concerned, the device has a single-camera setup with 2MP primary sensors and a selfie camera with a 2MP lens. Other connectivity option includes 4G-VoLTE, GPS, Glonass, Bluetooth, Mobile Hotspot, accelerometer, ambient light sensor, gyroscope, proximity sensor, and compass/ magnetometer. etc.
Android 9.0 Pie Features
Android 9.0 Pie is the 9th generation major Android version and most stable version from Google. It was introduced last year with a bunch of new features and functionalities. The Android 9 Pie brings huge system improvements and optimizations as well. The Android 9 Pie offers new QS tile, adaptive battery & brightness, notch support, themes, Digital Wellbeing, etc. It also brings swipe gesture navigation control, new Recent UI, App Timer, App Slices, Volume Sliders, new notification panel, etc.
The Android 9 Pie brings system stability, privacy and security features, improved accessibility menu, app actions, screenshot shortcut, colorful Settings UI, lock screen UI, secure screen rotation icon, etc.
- The file and guide are only for the Lava Z40 handset. Don’t try it on other devices.
- Keep your phone charged at least up to 50% or more.
- Take a complete backup of your device data at first before starting the flashing process. If in case, anything goes wrong, you can restore the internal data.
- After taking the backup, perform a full data wipe in the stock recovery [Recommended].
- You need to unlock the bootloader on your device.
Steps to Install AOSP Android 9.0 Pie on Lava Z40
If you want to install the Android Pie based AOSP Custom ROM on your device, then follow this guide completely. You need to flash the Custom Pie ROM either with TWRP or via the ADB Sideload method on your device. If there is no TWRP Recovery supported, then try the second method to flash Android 10 via ADB fastboot tool.
Method 1: Install via TWRP Recovery
- First of all, make sure to download and move all the above required ROM packages on your Lava Z40 Internal storage.
- Now reboot your phone into TWRP Recovery and Swipe Allow Modifications (Appears for the first time only)
- Once you are in TWRP Recovery, first of all. Take a complete backup of stock or custom ROM using TWRP.
- Now wipe the cache, data, and system before flashing the GSI image on Lava Z40.
- To Wipe data: Go to Wipe —> Advanced Wipe and select Dalvik/ART cache, cache, and Data and then swipe to wipe. [su_note note_color=”#fef0ef” text_color=”#000000″]Warning: Make sure not to select Internal storage[/su_note]
- Now you can install the System image file in TWRP: Install -> Install Image -> select system.img
- That’s it! Reboot and enjoy it!
Method 2: Install ROM via ADB Sideload Method
To install the Pie-based AOSP Custom ROM on your Lava Z40, follow the full guide link given below.How to Install Generic System Image on Project Treble Devices
We hope that this guide will help you to install the Android 9.0 Pie on Lava Z40 based on Project Treble GSI images. If you’re experiencing any issues, let us know in the comments below, or you can follow the source link to give feedback to XDA.