Here we are sharing the first ported Android Pie 9.0 GSI on Lenovo P2 based on Android Pie 9.0. GSI is also known as a Generic System image. We already shared the complete list of devices supported for Android Pie 9.0 Generic System image (GSI). This guide will help you to install the Android Pie 9.0 GSI on Lenovo P2 (kunato).
Before we move into upgradation process, let’s talk about the specs. Lenovo P2 is a single SIM smartphone launched in August 2017. The phone comes with a 6.00-inch touchscreen display with a resolution of 1440 pixels by 2880 pixels. It runs on 1.7 GHz octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 processor and 4 GB of RAM. It comes with Android 7.1.2 Nougat out-of-the-box. This device packs a 64 GB of expandable internal storage. Lenovo P2 brings a 16-megapixel primary camera on the rear and a 5-megapixel camera on the front.
Google finally revealed the next version of Android OS called Android 9.0 Pie. The update is been rolling out to Pixel phones now. The currently supported devices are Google Pixel, Pixel XL, Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL. Google announced the Android Pie beta preview earlier this year and includes lots of new features. Google also say’s that the devices that were a part of the Android P developer preview program with brands such as Sony, Xiaomi, Oppo, OnePlus, Essential, and more along with some Android One phones, will get the Android 9.0 Pie in the fall.
As we all know, Google introduced the Project treble last year with the Android 8.0 Oreo. Project Treble has made it easier for OEMs to port newer Android versions to their devices, but it has also made it easy for Custom ROM developments. With the help of project treble, every company can easily skin their Android OS to their preferences in a very quick and easy way.
Lenovo P2 Now Supports Project Treble
Now we have a good news for Lenovo P2 (kunato) users. You can now download and install the Android Pie 9.0 GSI on Lenovo P2. Full Credits to the XDA Recognized Developer erfanoabdi who just ported the Android P beta version from Google Pixel XL(marlin) with the help of project treble. Recently, The ROM development community has completely boosted Custom ROM development with the help of Project treble. We’ve seen the Lineage OS, Resurrection Remix, Mokee OS, Pixel Experience has made their way to support most of the budget device based on Kirin, Exynos, Lineage, and other obscure brands.
[su_note note_color=”#fefdef” text_color=”#000000″]
- List of Project Treble Supported Android Phones
- An Easy Method To Check If Your Smartphone Supports Project Treble
In this guide, you can now install the Android Pie 9.0 GSI on Lenovo P2 (kunato). You can just follow the below guide to enjoy the new Android Pie 9.0 before it’s official rollout. There is no confirmation whether the Lenovo will officially support Android Pie 9.0 on Lenovo P2 smartphone. Here are the list of Lenovo Supported device to receive Android Pie 9.0.
Steps to Install Android Pie 9.0 GSI on Lenovo P2 (kunato):
Well, you heard it correct and you are in the right place. You can now flash the Android Pie 9.0 Generic System image on Lenovo P2 using the project treble 8.1 vendor. Before flashing, make sure to download the pre-required drivers and ROM package.
[su_youtube_advanced url=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POqQt3y8HPs” controls=”alt” rel=”no”]
- You need a Laptop or PC to perform this task
- Charge your phone to at least 50% or more.
- Make sure to use the Original USB cable
- Download all the required ROM package and files.
- Download Lenovo USB drivers and install on your PC
- You need to unlock the bootloader on Lenovo P2 device
- Follow the methods to install TWRP Recovery on Lenovo P2. [TWRP 3.2.1- 1 or Higher]
Required ROM and Gapps Package:
- Download and Flash Latest TWRP Recovery 3.2.1-1 or higher
- Download Lineage OS 15.1 for Lenovo P2 (kunato) – Vendor image
- P-DP4-sGSI-Aonly.zip – Download
- POST-sGSI_1_v0.11.zip- Download
- POST-sGSI_2_v0.14.zip- Download
- POST-sGSI_3.zip- Download
- P-lag-fix.zip- Download
- incall2.zip- Download
Instructions to Flash:
To flash the Android Pie 9.0 GSI on Lenovo P2, you need the latest TWRP Recovery 3.2.1-1 or higher. If you already have, then make sure to download the above-given links.
- First of all, make sure to download and move all the above required ROM packages on your Lenovo P2 Internal storage.
- Extract the P-DP4-sGSI-Aonly.zip file. Complete Guide on How to extract any Zip file on Android devices.
- Now reboot your phone into TWRP Recovery and Swipe Allow Modifications (Appears for the first time only)
- Once you are in TWRP Recovery, first of all. Take a complete backup of stock or custom ROM using TWRP.
- Now wipe the cache, data, and system before flashing the new Android Pie 9.0 on Lenovo P2.
- To Wipe data: Go to Wipe —> Advanced Wipe and select Dalvik/ART cache, cache, System, Vendor, and Data and then swipe to wipe. [su_note note_color=”#fef0ef” text_color=”#000000″]Warning: Make sure not to select Internal storage[/su_note]
- You can now flash the Lineage OS
- To flash Lineage OS on Lenovo P2: In TWRP Recovery, tap on Install button –> select
lineage-15.1-2018xxxx-kunato.zipand swipe to flash.
- Now flash the extracted image file on TWRP: Tap on Install Button —> Select the extracted P-DP4 image file –> Swipe to flash
- You have to mount the partition before flashing the remaining POST-sGSI zip file on your Lenovo P2. Follow the procedure to mount the partition. To mount, Tap on Mount button –> Select System and Vendor.
- Now you can flash the POST-sGSI_1.zip, POST-sGSI_2.zip and POST-sGSI_3.zip on your Lenovo P2 –> TWRP –> Install –> select the post-sGSI zip file
- Once you are done, now flash the P lag Fix.Zip file.
- Again Mount System and vendor partitions just like 10th step
- Now flash incall.zip to fix the incall sound issue.
- Now reboot and enjoy Android Pie 9.0 GSI on Lenovo P2 (kunato).
I hope this guide was helpful to install the Android Pie 9.0 Generic System image on Lenovo P2 using the project treble 8.1 vendor.