Here we are sharing the first ported Android Pie 9.0 GSI for Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro based on Android Pie 9.0. GSI is also known as a Generic System image. We already shared the complete list of devices supported for Android Pie 9.0 Generic System image (GSI). This guide will help you to install the Android Pie 9.0 GSI on Redmi Note 5 Pro (whyred).
Talking about the specifications, Redmi Note 5 Pro features a 5.99-inches display with a screen resolution of 1080 x 2160 pixels. It is powered by Qualcomm SDM636 Snapdragon 636 processor coupled with 4/6GB of RAM. The phone packs 64GB internal memory. The camera on the Redmi Note 5 Pro comes with 12+5MP and 20MP front shooting camera. It is backed by a Non-removable Li-Po 4000 mAh battery with Fast battery charging (Quick Charge 2.0). It also has a fingerprint sensor on the back.
Google finally revealed the next version of Android OS called Android 9.0 Pie. The update is been rolling out to Pixel phones now. The currently supported devices are Google Pixel, Pixel XL, Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL. Google announced the Android Pie beta preview earlier this year and includes lots of new features. Google also say’s that the devices that were a part of the Android P developer preview program with brands such as Sony, Xiaomi, Oppo, OnePlus, Essential, and more along with some Android One phones, will get the Android 9.0 Pie in the fall.
As we all know, Google introduced the Project treble last year with the Android 8.0 Oreo. Project Treble has made it easier for OEMs to port newer Android versions to their devices, but it has also made it easy for Custom ROM developments. With the help of project treble, every company can easily skin their Android OS to their preferences in a very quick and easy way.
Table of Contents
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro Now Supports Project Treble
Now we have a good news for Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro (whyred) users. You can now download and install the Android Pie 9.0 GSI on Redmi Note 5 Pro. Full Credits to the developer oieNao and XDA Recognized Developer erfanoabdi who just ported the Android P beta version from Google Pixel XL(marlin) with the help of project treble. Recently, The ROM development community has completely boosted Custom ROM development with the help of Project treble. We’ve seen the Lineage OS, Resurrection Remix, Mokee OS, Pixel Experience has made their way to support most of the budget device based on Kirin, Exynos, Lineage, and other obscure brands.
[su_note note_color=”#fefdef” text_color=”#000000″]
- List of Project Treble Supported Android Phones
- An Easy Method To Check If Your Smartphone Supports Project Treble
In this guide, you can now install the Android Pie 9.0 GSI on Redmi Note 5 Pro (whyred). You can just follow the below guide to enjoy the new Android Pie 9.0 before it’s official rollout. There is no confirmation whether the Xiaomi will officially support Android Pie 9.0 on Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro smartphone. Here is the list of devices which will receive official Android Pie 9.0 on Xiaomi.
Steps to Install Android Pie 9.0 GSI on Redmi Note 5 Pro (whyred):
Well, you heard it correct and you are in the right place. You can now flash the Android Pie 9.0 Generic System image on Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro using the project treble 8.1 vendor. Before flashing, make sure to download the pre-required drivers and ROM package.
[su_youtube_advanced url=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POqQt3y8HPs” controls=”alt” rel=”no”]
- You need a Laptop or PC to perform this task
- Charge your phone to at least 50% or more.
- Make sure to use the Original USB cable
- Download all the required ROM package and files.
- Download Xiaomi USB drivers and install on your PC
- You need to unlock the bootloader on your Xiaomi device
- Follow the methods to install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro. [TWRP 3.2.1- 1 or Higher]
[su_note note_color=”#fef0ef” text_color=”#000000″]
Warning: Known Bugs:
- Camera not working, even when enabling HAL3 manually from build.prop
- Notification LED not working (LED is working only when charging)
- Double Tap To Wake not working.
Required ROM and Gapps Package:
- Download and Flash Latest TWRP Recovery 3.2.1-1 or higher
- Download Mokee OS for Redmi Note 5 Pro (whyred) – Vendor image
- P-DP4-sGSI-Aonly.zip – Download
- POST-sGSI_1_v0.11.zip- Download
- POST-sGSI_2_v0.14.zip- Download
- POST-sGSI_3.zip- Download
- P-lag-fix.zip- Download
- incall2.zip- Download
Instructions to Flash:
To flash the Android Pie 9.0 GSI on Redmi Note 5 Pro, you need the latest TWRP Recovery 3.2.1-1 or higher. If you already have, then make sure to download the above-given links.
- First of all, make sure to download and move all the above required ROM packages on your Redmi Note 5 Pro Internal storage.
- Extract the P-DP4-sGSI-Aonly.zip file. Complete Guide on How to extract any Zip file on Android devices.
- Now reboot your phone into TWRP Recovery and Swipe Allow Modifications (Appears for the first time only)
- Once you are in TWRP Recovery, first of all. Take a complete backup of stock or custom ROM using TWRP.
- Now wipe the cache, data, and system before flashing the new Android Pie 9.0 on Redmi Note 5 Pro.
- To Wipe data: Go to Wipe —> Advanced Wipe and select Dalvik/ART cache, cache, System, Vendor, and Data and then swipe to wipe. [su_note note_color=”#fef0ef” text_color=”#000000″]Warning: Make sure not to select Internal storage[/su_note]
- You can now flash the Mokee OS
- To flash MokeeOS on Redmi Note 5 Pro: In TWRP Recovery, tap on Install button –> select
MK81.0-whyred-2018xxxxx-NIGHTLY.zipand swipe to flash.
- Now flash the extracted image file on TWRP: Tap on Install Button —> Select the extracted P-DP4 image file –> Swipe to flash
- You have to mount the partition before flashing the remaining POST-sGSI zip file on your Redmi Note 5 Pro. Follow the procedure to mount the partition. To mount, Tap on Mount button –> Select System and Vendor.
- Now you can flash the POST-sGSI_1.zip, POST-sGSI_2.zip and POST-sGSI_3.zip on your Redmi Note 5 Pro –> TWRP –> Install –> select the post-sGSI zip file
- Once you are done, now flash the P lag Fix.Zip file.
- Again Mount System and vendor partitions just like 10th step
- Now flash incall.zip to fix the incall sound issue.
- Now reboot and enjoy Android Pie 9.0 GSI on Redmi Note 5 Pro (whyred).
I hope this guide was helpful to install the Android Pie 9.0 Generic System image on Redmi Note 5 Pro using the project treble 8.1 vendor.