Lenovo is not a go-to brand when it comes to smartphones. Although the company took over the proceedings of Motorola, it continues to manufacture smartphones under its own branding as well. Lenovo is a Chinese smartphone giant, which as compared to its Chinese counterparts, joined very late to the Android 10 party. And as of yet, there are very limited devices from Lenovo that have picked up Android 10 update. Luckily, the Android 10 update seems right around the corner for the Lenovo Z5 Pro, as Lenovo has now started inviting interested users for the closed beta recruitment.
The beta program is currently limited to the users in China and is for the Lenovo Z5 Pro users. For those of you, who are unaware, the Lenovo Z5 Pro was launched back in 2018 and is houses the Snapdragon 710 SoC which is paired with 6 GB of RAM. The device sports a 3,350 mAh battery. Interestingly, both the rear and front camera sports a dual-camera setup. Moreover, the front dual-camera setup requires you to manually pop-up the module to gain access to the front cameras, an infrared sensor for face unlocking, and the front speaker grill. The device also has an optical fingerprint scanner for fast fingerprint recognition.
Coming back to the beta program, this was announced officially via Weibo (Chinese equivalent of Twitter) post. It invites all the Lenovo Z5 Pro users to take part in this beta program to test out the features of Android 10 along with ZUI 11.5 which is the latest custom UI by Lenovo which will be bundled with the Android 10 update for the phone. Here is the complete announcement (Translated from Chinese):
One by one Z5 Pro ZUI 11.5 closed beta recruitment is open!
Want to become a member of the “Taste the Freshman Group” and experience Android10 first?
Want to experience Lenovo One’s cross-screen operation?
Sign up now, that is, have the opportunity to get the internal test quota and join the new round of the army of crawling insects!
As mentioned in the image above, the deadline is set on June 11, 2020. Taking a close look at the announcement also reveals that there are no limitations to the number of seats available for this beta recruitment. However, we would advise interested Lenovo Z5 Pro users to head over here and enroll themselves with the Android 10 (ZUI 11.5) beta program to taste the update first on their phones. Keep in mind, you need to make sure that you do not have an unlocked bootloader or a rooted phone in order to be eligible to receive the update or enroll in the program. And moreover, you should be running the latest ZUI 11.1.093 stable version.
Table of Contents
AOSP Android 10 for Lenovo Z5 Pro
The Lenovo Z5 Pro GT was first made available for purchase in January 2019. If features a 6.39” 1080P IPS LCD display, offering a pixel density of ~403 PPI. Though the handset is running on Android 8.1 Oreo, we can’t assure that when the Android 10 update will be available for it. So, if you’re eagerly waiting for the Android 10 update on your device, well you are in the right spot. Here we have complete instructions to install the AOSP Android 10 for Lenovo Z5 Pro GT based on GSI treble. Thanks to the XDA Recognized Developer phhusson for making this build.
GSI means Generic System Image which is a system image file considered to be a ‘Pure Android’ implementation with untouched AOSP code that can run on Project Treble supported devices. The AOSP Android 10 GSI build works perfectly on the Android 8.0 Oreo or above running devices and you can easily install it on your Lenovo Z5 Pro GT as well.
Now, take a quick look at the device overview below.
Lenovo Z5 Pro GT: Overview
Lenovo Z5 Pro GT was announced in January 2019 which sports a 6.39-inch Super AMOLED display with a screen resolution of 2340 x 1080 pixels with 403 PPI pixel density. The device is protected by Corning Gorilla Glass.
This device is powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 (7 nm) chipset coupled with 6/8/12GB of RAM and 128/256/512GB of internal storage. The device came out of the box with Android 8.1 Oreo under ZUI 10 and backed by a 3350 mAh battery (Non-removable).
As far as the camera concerned, the device has a Dual-camera setup with 16MP + 24MP primary sensors and a selfie camera with an 16MP + 8MP lens. Other connectivity option includes 4G-VoLTE, GPS, Glonass, Bluetooth, Mobile Hotspot, accelerometer, ambient light sensor, gyroscope, proximity sensor, and compass/ magnetometer. etc. The Lenovo Z5 Pro GT come with a fingerprint sensor under display.
What’s on Android 10?
Google has started rolling out the latest Android 10 version update to its Pixel series devices which is the 10th iteration of Android OS. It brings plenty of new features to the device system like system UI, new gesture navigation, improved privacy and location control. The update also offers enhanced app permissions, foldable display support, security features, system-wide dark mode, etc.
The Android 10 also offers built-in call screening, multi-camera API, smart replies in the notification panel, 5G support, improved call quality, bubble feature, live caption, and more. While the latest version also improves battery life, Focus mode which is similar to the Do Not Disturb mode, etc. Apart from that Android 10 also features 65 new emojis. It also comes with direct audio streaming support to hearing aid devices.
Android 10 Features
Here we will provide short details of the most highlighted features of Android 10 (aka Android Q). Check out the Top 10 Android 10 features.
- Live Caption: This feature will automatically start caption when you will play media on your phone.
- Smart Reply: It will offer suggested responses or actions to your incoming messages like Facebook Messenger.
- Sound Amplifier: It will boost audio, filter background noise, and fine-tune the sound for the improved listening experience.
- New Gesture Navigation: This system is now smoother and faster than before.
- Dark Theme: It offers better battery backup and reduces eye strain during lowlight conditions.
- Privacy Controls: It features offers your device system to choose when and how your data will be shared.
- Location Controls: It feature also offers advanced security layers and control any apps or the map to access your location.
- Faster Security Updates: This option will be useful for both the smartphone OEMs and users via Google Play service. This will offer faster updates.
- Focus Mode: It’s an improved version of the Digital Wellbeing feature with an enhanced user interface and few changes.
- Family Link: It’s quite similar to the Focus mode which is basically for kids. The parents can now control devices or apps usage time limits and content limits as well.
Steps to Install AOSP Android 10 on Lenovo Z5 Pro GT
PHH’s AOSP Android 10 GSIs are still marked as a pre-release. Even on a device that runs Pie GSIs nicely, it’s still possible to get broken media, camera, RIL or even flat-out no-boot. You are strongly advised to try PHH’s original and then identify/report issues there, before moving onto other GSIs that is based on this work. Please report bugs there only if it’s specific to this GSI.
We’re at GetDroidTips won’t be responsible for any kind of damage or error that occurs to your handset while or after following this guide. This is a Custom ROM and may contain some of the bugs or stability issues. We can’t recommend you to use this firmware as your daily driver. Proceed at your own risk.
First, you have to unlock the device bootloader in order to flash any Custom ROM. But going to the process. let’s take a look at requirements and download links first.
- You need to unlock the bootloader at first.
- ARM, ARM64, or x86: Check your Android Phone’s Processor
- Treble Support: Check If Your Smartphone Supports Project Treble
- Download the required Android 10 GSI ROM file and Android 10 GApps file from below.
- Keep your device battery charged up to 60% at least for a smoother process.
- Take a complete backup of your device data without Root. In case anything goes wrong, you can easily restore all the data.
A only arm32 – arm avN
A only arm64 – arm64 avN
A/B arm64 – arm64 bvN
A/B arm32 – arm bvN
Instructions to Install: AOSP Android 10 for Lenovo Z5 Pro GTGuide to Install Generic System Image (GSI) on Your Android Device
We hope that this guide is helpful to you and you have successfully installed the AOSP Android 10 Custom ROM on your Lenovo Z5 Pro GT handset easily. If in case anything goes wrong or if you have any queries, feel free to ask in the comments below.
If you find any problem with the latest build of Android 10 GSI, then you can report it on the official GitHub page: Click Here
- Lenovo Z5 Pro GT – Full Specifications, Price, and Review
- Is Lenovo Z5 Pro GT waterproof device?
- Common Lenovo Z5 Pro GT Problems and Fixes – Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Camera, SIM, and More
- Android 10 beta rolled out for Lenovo Z6 Series and Z5 Pro GT
- How To Unlock Bootloader on Lenovo Z5 Pro / GT via ADB Fastboot