Huawei P Smart (codename: FIG) launched in December 2017. The phone came out of the box with Android 8.0 Oreo and later upgrade to Android 9.0 Pie. Here in this guide, we will share the AOSP Android 10 (aka Android Q) Custom ROM for Huawei P Smart.
Android 10 is now official as Google’s 10th version of Android OS with plenty of new features and system UI changes. The Android 10 (aka Android Q) started rolling out Google Pixel devices, Essential PH, Redmi K20 Pro, OnePlus 7 Pro devices. Google doesn’t come with any dessert item name for the new Android version this time and that’s a good move. If you’re new to the Android ecosystem, it’s worth mentioning that Android is an Open Source Project (AOSP) by Google. Follow this guide to download and install Android 10 ROM on Huawei P Smart (FIG) device.
The AOSP is a custom ROM which means any smartphone OEM can make or customize Android ROM according to their need via the source code. All the Custom ROM or Custom Firmware runs on Android OS version from the core but offers a different kind of user experience. Now, let’s take a look at the device specifications in brief.
Huawei P Smart: Overview
Huawei P Smart (codenamed: FIG) was launched in September 2015. Let’s talk about the specs. The device came out of the box with Android 5.1.1 Lollipop and later upgraded to Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow. Talking about the specifications, Zuk Z1 features a 5.5-inches display with a screen resolution of 1080 x 1920 pixels. It is powered by Qualcomm MSM8974AC Snapdragon 801 processor coupled with 3GB of RAM. The phone packs 64GB of internal memory. The camera on the Zuk Z1 comes with 13MP and 8MP front shooting camera. It is backed by a Non-removable Li-Po 4100 mAh battery with Fast battery charging. It also has a fingerprint sensor on the front.
What’s on Android 10?
Google has started rolling out the latest Android 10 version update to its Pixel series devices which is the 10th iteration of Android OS. It brings plenty of new features to the device system like system UI, new gesture navigation, improved privacy and location control. The update also offers enhanced app permissions, foldable display support, security features, system-wide dark mode, etc.
The Android 10 also offers built-in call screening, multi-camera API, smart replies in the notification panel, 5G support, improved call quality, bubble feature, live caption, and more. While the latest version also improves battery life, Focus mode which is similar to the Do Not Disturb mode, etc. Apart from that Android 10 also features 65 new emojis. It also comes with direct audio streaming support to hearing aid devices.
Android 10 Features
Here we will provide short details of the most highlighted features of Android 10 (aka Android Q). Check out the Top 10 Android 10 features.
- Live Caption: This feature will automatically start caption when you will play media on your phone.
- Smart Reply: It will offer suggested responses or actions to your incoming messages like Facebook Messenger.
- Sound Amplifier: It will boost audio, filter background noise, and fine-tune the sound for the improved listening experience.
- New Gesture Navigation: This system is now smoother and faster than before.
- Dark Theme: It offers better battery backup and reduces eye strain during lowlight conditions.
- Privacy Controls: It feature offers your device system to choose when and how your data will be shared.
- Location Controls: It feature also offers advanced security layer and control any apps or the map to access your location.
- Faster Security Updates: This option will be useful for both the smartphone OEMs and users via Google Play service. This will offer faster updates.
- Focus Mode: It’s an improved version of Digital Wellbeing feature with enhanced user interface and few changes.
- Family Link: It’s quite similar to the Focus mode which is basically for kids. The parents can now control device or apps usage time limits and content limits as well.
Android 10 AOSP Custom ROM:
After the release of Android 10 officially to Pixel devices, Xiaomi and OnePlus are also providing beta builds. Now, the AOSP Custom ROM developers have developed the latest ROM version for the Huawei P Smart devices. We have mentioned some of the working features below.
What's Working and What's not?
- RIL (Calls, SMS, Data)
- Video Playback
What’s Not Working:
- Camera: it’s working but due to buggy internal storage, you can’t take pics nor videos.
- Internal storage.
- Offline charger.
A special thanks to one of the developers of XDA recognized contributor, haky 86 for this Android 10 ROM for Huawei P Smart (FIG). Now, check out the installation steps along with download links and pre-requirements below.
Steps to Install Android 10 ROM on Huawei P Smart
First, you have to unlock the device bootloader in order to flash any Custom ROM. Then you have to use this recovery to flash the ROM. However, this recovery won’t work for Pie-based ROMs. So you’ll need to use this recovery for flashing this Android 10 ROM only. But before going to the process. let’s take a look at requirements and download links first.
- This is Android 10 based AOSP Custom ROM file and supported for Huawei P Smart (FIG) only.
- You will require to unlock the device bootloader at first.
- Download the required TWRP file, AOSP ROM file, and Android 10 GApps file from below.
- Keep your device battery charged up to 60% at least for a smoother process.
- Take a complete backup of your device data without Root. In case anything goes wrong, you can easily restore all the data.
Instructions to Install:
- Make sure that you have downloaded all the required files on your device.
- Extract the zip file and move the system.img to ADB Folder.
- Reboot your phone into fastboot mode.
- In your ADB Folder, hold SHIFT KEY and click on Right mouse button to open the Command shell or command window.
- Now enter the command fastboot flash system path_to_system.img
- Run a factory reset with EMUI 9.x Recovery or will never boot (I’m not gonna support wiping nor flashing with twrp).
- Now install the TWRP Recovery and flash the Gapps and Magisk.
- That’s it!
We hope that this guide is helpful to you and you have successfully installed the AOSP Android 10 Custom ROM on your Huawei P Smart handset easily. If in case anything goes wrong or if you have any queries, feel free to ask in the comments below.