OnePlus 7 Pro (codename: guacamole) is the new flagship device from OnePlus 7 after the success of OnePlus 6T. The device was launched this year with Android 9.0 Pie out of the box. Later the company rolled OxygenOS 10 based on Android 10 Q. Here in this guide, we will share the AOSP Android 10 (aka Android Q) Custom ROM for OnePlus 7 Pro.
Android 10 is now official as Google’s 10th version of Android OS with plenty of new features and system UI changes. The Android 10 (aka Android Q) started rolling out Google Pixel devices, Essential PH, Redmi K20 Pro, OnePlus 7 Pro devices. Google doesn’t come with any dessert item name for the new Android version this time and that’s a good move. If you’re new to the Android ecosystem, it’s worth mentioning that Android is an Open Source Project (AOSP) by Google. Follow this guide to download and install Android 10 ROM on OnePlus 7 Pro (guacamole) device.
The AOSP is a custom ROM which means any smartphone OEM can make or customize Android ROM according to their need via the source code. All the Custom ROM or Custom Firmware runs on Android OS version from the core but offers a different kind of user experience. Now, let’s take a look at the device specifications in brief.
Table of Contents
OnePlus 7 Pro Specifications: Overview
The device comes with a 6.7-inches Fluid AMOLED Quad HD+ curved display with no notch. It has a screen resolution of 3120×1440 pixels of 516PPI along with a 90Hz refresh rate. The handset is powered by the latest flagship Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 SoC paired with Adreno 640 GPU.
It comes in three variants of 6GB RAM+128GB storage, 8GB RAM+256GB storage, and 12GB RAM+256GB storage options. In terms of the camera department, it has a single 16MP of pop-up selfie camera with AI modes like HDR, PDAF, AI Portrait, AI Beautify mode.
The primary 48MP (f/1.6) Sony IMX586 sensor + 16MP (f/2.2) Ultra-Wide sensor of a 117-degree view + an 8MP telephoto (f/2.4) lens which supports OIS with 3x optical zoom. Additionally, the rear camera has an LED flashlight with HDR, AI Portrait, Night Sight Mode, PDAF, EIS, OIS, Scene Recognition, etc.
What’s on Android 10?
Google has started rolling out the latest Android 10 version update to its Pixel series devices which is the 10th iteration of Android OS. It brings plenty of new features to the device system like system UI, new gesture navigation, improved privacy and location control. The update also offers enhanced app permissions, foldable display support, security features, system-wide dark mode, etc.
The Android 10 also offers built-in call screening, multi-camera API, smart replies in the notification panel, 5G support, improved call quality, bubble feature, live caption, and more. While the latest version also improves battery life, Focus mode which is similar to the Do Not Disturb mode, etc. Apart from that Android 10 also features 65 new emojis. It also comes with direct audio streaming support to hearing aid devices.
Android 10 Features
Here we will provide short details of the most highlighted features of Android 10 (aka Android Q). Check out the Top 10 Android 10 features.
- Live Caption: This feature will automatically start caption when you will play media on your phone.
- Smart Reply: It will offer suggested responses or actions to your incoming messages like Facebook Messenger.
- Sound Amplifier: It will boost audio, filter background noise, and fine-tune the sound for the improved listening experience.
- New Gesture Navigation: This system is now smoother and faster than before.
- Dark Theme: It offers better battery backup and reduces eye strain during lowlight conditions.
- Privacy Controls: It feature offers your device system to choose when and how your data will be shared.
- Location Controls: It feature also offers advanced security layer and control any apps or the map to access your location.
- Faster Security Updates: This option will be useful for both the smartphone OEMs and users via Google Play service. This will offer faster updates.
- Focus Mode: It’s an improved version of Digital Wellbeing feature with enhanced user interface and few changes.
- Family Link: It’s quite similar to the Focus mode which is basically for kids. The parents can now control device or apps usage time limits and content limits as well.
Android 10 AOSP Custom ROM:
After the release of Android 10 officially to Pixel devices, Xiaomi and OnePlus are also providing beta builds. Now, the AOSP Custom ROM developers have developed the latest ROM version for the OnePlus 7 Pro devices. We have mentioned some of the working features below.
- Video Playback
- There *might* be some crashes here and there because it’s in a very early stage. Future updates can also break compatibility, so be aware before flashing any of these alpha ROMs.
- This ROM is still using blobs from Android P, so it won’t work if you have flashed the latest OOS 10 builds.
- MTP (USB storage mode) doesn’t work
- If OpenGapps somehow crashes, that’s not a bug of the ROM. I have already introduced dirty hack to make it somewhat work but it can still crash from time to time. (if Google’s SetupWizard crashes on first boot and drops you back to boot logo, just wait until it gets into it again. Finish the setup without choosing anything fancy. You can alternatively choose to remove SetupWizard entirely from Recovery)
- Sensors might not work if you reverted back from OOS 10 to OOS 9 firmware (this is unlikely to be a ROM issue)
- There might be other broken stuff but for me, it seems that I have a mostly usable phone now.
A special thanks to one of the developers of XDA senior member, PeterCxy for this Android 10 ROM for OnePlus 7 Pro (guacamole). Now, check out the installation steps along with download links and pre-requirements below.
Steps to Install Android 10 ROM on OnePlus 7 Pro
First, you have to unlock the device bootloader in order to flash any Custom ROM. Then you have to use this recovery to flash the ROM. However, this recovery won’t work for Pie-based ROMs. So you’ll need to use this recovery for flashing this Android 10 ROM only. But before going to the process. let’s take a look at requirements and download links first.
- This is Android 10 based AOSP Custom ROM file and supported for OnePlus 7 Pro (guacamole) only.
- You will require to unlock the device bootloader at first.
- Download the required TWRP file, AOSP ROM file, and Android 10 GApps file from below.
- Keep your device battery charged up to 60% at least for a smoother process.
- Take a complete backup of your device data without Root. In case anything goes wrong, you can easily restore all the data.
Instructions to Install:
- Make sure that you have downloaded all the required files on your device.
- Now, copy the TWRP image file, GApps file, and ROM zip file to your device internal storage.
- Next, reboot your OnePlus 7 Pro into recovery mode.
- You will boot into TWRP Recovery mode.
- In recovery menu, tap on Install button > Install Image > Select the TWRP Image file from the location where you have moved earlier.
- Swipe to confirm flash.
- Now, reboot to recovery mode again.
- In the TWRP menu, go to Wipe section.
- Select Advanced Wipe > Select the data, system, vendor, cache. Then swipe to wipe it.
- Flash the ROM zip file from the Install option.
- The system will be mounted already Uncheck it & Remount system and vendor manually. Then flash Gapps zip file as well.
- Finally, reboot your phone into a new system. Wait for it, as the boot process will take a few minutes.
- That’s it. Enjoy!
We hope that this guide is helpful to you and you have successfully installed the AOSP Android 10 Custom ROM on your OnePlus 7 Pro handset easily. If in case anything goes wrong or if you have any queries, feel free to ask in the comments below.