Here we will guide you on how to download and install AOSP Android 9.0 Pie on Huawei MediaPad M5 (SHT). This ROM is based on Android 9.0 Pie GSI with Treble Enabled. GSI stands for a Generic System image. The moniker “Generic” implies that such software images could be installed on any Treble-enabled device, irrespective of the manufacturer they belong to. We already shared the complete list of devices supported for Android Pie 9.0 Generic System image (GSI).
Now we have a good news for Huawei MediaPad M5 (SHT) users. You can now download and install the AOSP Android Pie 9.0 GSI on Huawei MediaPad M5. Full Credits to the XDA Recognized Developer phhusson who is the great man behind the work of Project Treble GSI build. Recently, The ROM development community has completely boosted Custom ROM development with the help of Project treble. We’ve seen the Lineage OS, Resurrection Remix, Mokee OS, Pixel Experience has made their way to support most of the budget device based on Kirin, Exynos, Lineage, and other obscure brands.
To install AOSP Android 9.0 Pie on Huawei MediaPad M5, your device should be bootloader unlocked and then you can flash via ADB sideload method. If you have all this, then you are good to try the new Android 9.0 Pie on your device. Follow our guide on how to upgrade, but before that. Let’s understand the features of Android 9.0 Pie.
What’s on Android 9.0 Pie?
Android 9.0 Pie is the 9th iteration and a major update of Google’s Android OS. The new Android Pie brings a couple of design changes to the successor Android Oreo but the most notable one is the gesture-based navigation system. Other features of Android 9 Pie are New Quick Settings UI design, Redesigned volume slider, Advanced Battery with AI Support, Notch Support, Improved Adaptive Brightness, Manual theme selection, Android Dashboard which Google calls Digital Wellbeing, and more other features.
[su_youtube_advanced url=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HSqeuLK4G0″ controls=”alt” rel=”no”]
Features of Android 9.0 Pie:
- Indoor navigation with Wi-Fi RTT
- Gesture Navigation
- App Timer
- Wind Down
- Notch support
- App Actions and Slices
- Lockdown mode
- Zoom in text
- Smarter Notification Channels
- Improvement in messaging apps
- An easier way to take screenshots and edit them
- Auto-Rotate Button
- Dark theme
- Increased security
- Default HTTPS for apps
- Pair up to 5 Bluetooth devices
- Alert tone to notify call recordings
- Media Panel UI change
- Support for HEIF image and HDR VP9 video format
- Autofill in browsers
- 157 new emojis
- Ambient Display for Battery Percentage
- Adaptive Battery
- Adaptive Brightness
- ART improvements
Guide to Install AOSP Android 9.0 Pie on Huawei MediaPad M5 (SHT)
If you are looking to install the latest version of Android OS on your device, then please follow this guide below to enjoy Android 9.0 Pie update for Huawei MediaPad M5.
ROM is still under experiments. GetDroidTips will not be responsible for any internal/external damages to the device that may happen while/after following this guide. This ROM may or may not be completely stable and we don’t recommend you to try this ROM as a daily driver. So far this ROM worked smoothly on many devices.
- Supported on Huawei MediaPad M5 (SHT)
- About the ROM you should download: Mediapad M5 is arm64, A only
- Charge your phone up to 50% or more.
- Take a complete backup of your phone data [Follow any method]
- Do a full data wipe in the stock recovery
- Download Huawei USB Drivers and Install on your PC
- You need to unlock the bootloader on Huawei MediaPad M5.
- Download ADB and Fastboot tool [via ADB Sideload Method]
arm = 32 bit arm processor
arm64 = 64 bit arm processor
aonly = a partition scheme
ab = ab partition scheme
vanilla = there is no Gapps installed
Gapps = Gapps are installed
floss = an open source alternative to Gapps
SU = superuser (root)
noSU = no superuser (no root)
You need only the GAPPS version to download and install AOSP Android Pie. Vanilla is basically plain w/o GAPPS, and FLOSS is with Open Source alternatives to the GAPPS.
If you face bootloop then flash the Vanilla version and then you can install the OpenGapps or any other alternative Gapps.
Instructions to Flash:
To flash the AOSP Android 9.0 Pie on Huawei MediaPad M5 (SHT), you can either use the TWRP Recovery method or you can flash via ADB Sideload method. If you already have, then make sure to download the above-given links.
- First of all, download the ADB and Fastboot tool and extract in your C:/ drive
- Now download the ROM and extract it using WinRar or 7Zip on your PC to the same folder containing ADB driver.
- You have to factory reset your Android device.
- While in the ADB folder, hold the SHIFT key on the keyboard and right-click on an empty space inside the folder.
- Select the option ‘Open PowerShell window here’ or ‘Command window’
- Enable USB debugging on your device and connect it to the PC.
- You can power off your device. While powered down, hold down the volume down key of your device, while connecting your device to your PC with the USB cable. If you’ve done it properly, you should see the below screen (or similar). If you don’t, try again! Note that if you do not show the “PHONE Unlocked” and “FRP Unlock” like shown below, do not continue. You must have a fully unlocked bootloader in order to continue!
- Now, give the following command to install the AOSP Android 9.0 Pie on Huawei MediaPad M5.
fastboot flash system "system_img_name".img
- In the above step, replace the system_image_name with the actual file name of the GSI file you downloaded.
- It will take a while to install. After that, you have to reboot your device. give the following command.
- Before booting up the ROM, you will need to perform a factory reset in stock recovery. (If you are running TWRP, then flash it back to recovery_ramdisk, then go to this thread)
- To boot into recovery, power off your device. Then hold down Power + Vol Up at the same time, and keep them held until the Huawei/Honor logo appears on your screen. If you did it correctly, you’ll see the below screen (or similar screen
- Press the “Wipe data/factory reset” button
- Reboot your device and begin enjoying the ROM!
- You can now install the latest TWRP recovery on Huawei MediaPad M5 and root your device using Magisk.
If this method doesn’t work, then go to the AOSP 9.0 Phh-Treble thread in XDA and report your issue.