Safari is an excellent alternative to Google Chrome and is the default web browser on Apple devices running Mac OS. The web browser does offer a bunch of features that one would expect to see on a modern browser. By default, when a user types a search term in the address bar field, the browser uses the Google search engine to bring up results.
This is understandable since Google is by far the most popular search engine in most regions. However, Google isn’t really the most trusted search engine. Just about every Google search is tracked and data is sent to Google to serve you ads in the future. Of course, that’s not all that’s wrong with Google search. However, if you’re looking to change the search engine in Safari for macOS, then you’ve come to the right place. In this guide, we’ll be showing you the steps to change the default search engine on Safari.
Table of Contents
Steps to change the search engine in Safari on macOS X
You can easily change the default search engine in Safari by following these steps.
- Launch the Safari web browser on your macOS machine.
- Click on the Safari option which should be in the main menu bar at the top of the screen.
- From the menu, you have to click on Preferences.
- Click on the search Search Tab in the window.
- Now click on the drop-down menu beside the Search Engine option.
- Select your preferred search provider from the list.
You have now successfully changed the default search engine on Safari. Now each time you search for something, the selected search engine will pop-up with the search results. At the moment, Safari lets you pick from four popular search engines — Google, Bing, Yahoo, and DuckDuckGo. So if you’re leaning towards privacy, we suggest sticking to DuckDuckGo. Nonetheless, all four search engines have their own advantages and disadvantages.
Steps to Change Safari’s Default Search Engine on iPad
- Launch the iPad Settings menu >> Scroll down a bit and tap on Safari.
- Tap on the Search Engine under the SEARCH category.
- Choose your preferred Search Engine from the list.
- That’s it. You’re done.
Steps to Change Safari’s Default Search Engine on macOS
- Open the Safari on your Mac >> Now, click on the Safari from the drop-down menu on the top of the screen.
- Select the Preferences option or use the ‘⌘’ button from the keyboard.
- Tap on the Search button >> Click on the drop-down menu beside the Search Engine.
- Then choose the preferred search engine from the list.
Steps to Change Safari’s Default Search Engine on iPhone
- Go to the iPhone Settings menu >> Scroll down a bit and tap on Safari >> Now, tap on Search Engine under SEARCH option.
- Here you can select your suitable search engine and then close it.
- Start using the Safari browser with your selected search engine.
We hope you’ve found this guide useful and now you can easily Change Safari’s Default Search Engine on Mac/iPhone/iPad. For any queries, let us know in the comments below.