Along with the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, plenty of players are also facing Dev Error issues on Call of Duty: Warzone game as well. It seems that the latest update has ruined almost the game that brings so many bugs and errors for the Windows users mostly. Now, some of the players are reporting that COD Warzone game crashes on the Infinity Ward logo with Dev Error 6164. So, if you’re also facing the same error, then check out the full troubleshooting guide below.
Now, talking about the error, whenever some of the PC players are trying to launch the Call of Duty Warzone game, it opens and crashes on the Infinity Ward screen which is really irritating. As the Call of Duty Modern Warfare is a paid game and then you will need to spend a lot of time & internet data to download the latest Call of Duty Warzone game, no one won’t feel happy after getting a bunch of error codes or crashes or game bugs.
Table of Contents
- 1 What is Dev Error 6164?
- 2 COD Warzone Game Crashes on Infinity Ward Logo with Dev Error 6164: Fix?
- 3 1. Update Graphics Driver
- 4 2. Rollback Graphics Driver to Previous Version
- 5 3. Reinstall Graphics Driver
- 6 4. Disable Overlay Apps or Software
- 7 9. Update your Windows
What is Dev Error 6164?
It’s basically a crashing error while launching the Call of Duty Warzone game. The error pops up at the time of loading the Infinity Ward screen. Similarly, the Call of Duty Modern Warfare launch, this error appears on the Activision screen. However, there is no official announcement or hotfix available yet.
COD Warzone Game Crashes on Infinity Ward Logo with Dev Error 6164: Fix?
Now, if you really want to try some of the possible fixes by yourself, then check the methods below.
Now, without wasting a further ado, let’s jump into the steps below in order to fix the Warzone Dev Errors. Make sure to update/rollback/reinstall the graphics driver, disable overlay apps, disable GeForce Experience, disable Discord overlay, disable game bar or Spotify layout, etc.
1. Update Graphics Driver
To improve the gaming experience or video rendering process quite smoothly, companies always provide updates to their graphics cards as a graphics driver. So, it’s recommended to check for updates and make sure to update the graphics driver by following the guide link below.
2. Rollback Graphics Driver to Previous Version
As we’ve already mentioned that the graphics driver version should be updated whenever available, it’s also worth mentioning that some times the latest update can bring bugs or performance issues. If in case, you’ve recently updated the graphics driver version on your system and started facing the issue, then it’s most probably the graphics driver problem and you should rollback the version. Check the guide here.
3. Reinstall Graphics Driver
Now, if in case, the above-mentioned method doesn’t work for you, then you can try to reinstall the graphics driver.
- In the search box on the Start menu, type the Device Manager and click on it.
- Now, right-click on the graphics card name and select Uninstall.
- Restart your PC.
- Windows will attempt to reinstall the driver. If not, just manually install the compatible graphics drivers for your respective graphics card/brand.
- Finally, reboot your system again and check whether the issue is fixed or not.
4. Disable Overlay Apps or Software
If you’re using any software or program with overlay features just like Nvidia GeForce Experience or Windows Game Bar, then you should turn it off or disable the overlay apps from the software. Some times it can cause the Dev Error related issues on your system. If don’t know about Overlay options, it basically offers some of the useful features like video/audio recording, taking screenshots, share menu, instant replay, notifications, broadcasting, and more.
5. Disable GeForce Experience to fix Dev Error 6164
As mentioned above, all the overlay options offer plenty of useful features but these features always run in the background that consumes memory a lot and may occur Dev Errors. So, if you don’t use these features, then you should disable the Nvidia GeForce Experience Overlay.
6. Disable Discord Overlay
The Discord Overlay helps the hardcore gamers to use the Discord Voice & Text options to communicate with other players during the gameplay. It also lets you run certain features like Discord chat, answers Discord calls, joining groups, customizing the gaming interface, etc. However, the Discord Overlay can become more distracting especially in the battle royale games and can also cause Dev Errors. So, you can disable Discord Overlay if you don’t use it.
7. Disable Game Bar on Windows
Microsoft’s Game Bar is a feature that helps the professional or hardcore games to record game footage, broadcasts, and taking screenshots, and more. Just like other overlay programs, the Game Bar can also cause issues with the Call of Duty: Warzone game. So, let’s take a look at the steps below to disable it.
- Click on the Start menu icon.
- Then click on the Settings menu (cog icon).
- Select Gaming > Turn off the Record game clips, screenshots, and broadcast using Game bar toggle.
- Now, click on the Captures category from the left-pane.
- Make sure that the Background recording option is turned off.
- Now, try to launch the Modern Warfare or Warzone game to check whether the issue has been fixed or not.
8. Disable Spotify Layout to fix Warzone Dev Errors 6164
Spotify is one of the most popular online media service providers. The service app has an overlay feature that offers plenty of options to play with it. However, if you don’t use these features, make sure to turn it off for maximum system performance. In order to disable the Spotify layout:
- Click on Start menu the PC.
- Launch the Spotify app or the desktop shortcut.
- Click on Edit on the top of the window.
- Next, click on Preferences.
- Form the Preferences interface, head over to the Display Options.
- Turn off the Show desktop overlay when disabled toggle.
- You’re done. Now, check whether you can launch and play the game properly or not.
9. Update your Windows
Make sure to check whether any update is available for your Windows OS or not. If yes, you will get the update notification on the taskbar. Click on it and the Windows Update page will appear. However, you can manually check for updates by following the steps below:
- Click on the Start menu.
- Select Settings menu > Click on Update & Security.
- Here you will see Updates available option. Just click on the Download button to start downloading and installing the update.
- Make sure that the PC/Laptop is connected to the internet and there is enough charge on the Laptop.
- Once done, you have to reboot your system to install the update and change the effects. During this process, don’t switch off your system.
- You’re done. Windows will boot into a new system. Now, you can open the Call of Duty Modern Warfare or Warzone game to check for the issue.
That’s it, guys. We hope this guide was helpful to you. If you’ve any queries, let us know in the comments below.