In this guide, I will explain to you how to disable folder options on your Windows PC. This feature is present under the File Explorer section. As the name suggests, Folder options provide various alternatives for users to decide how to open a folder. Also, the user can control the privacy of the folder. You may now ask, what’s the need to disable this option.? Well, in an enterprise scenario, there are two types of users. First, there is an administrator and then some users.
To exercise some restrictions on the users and prevent them from viewing some folders or making changes to it, an admin can disable the folder options. There are two ways to do it. One way is to use the Local Group Policy Editor. The second way is to edit the settings in the Registry. I have explained both of the methods. So, let’s check them out now.
Disable Folder Options of File Explorer
First, let’s check out how to disable this one using the Local Group Policy Editor.
- Press Windows + R key together to summon the Run dialog box
- As it shows up type in gpedit. msc and hit enter
- Then navigate to the following directories.
- First, click on User Configuration and then go to Administrative Templates
- Under that navigate to Windows Components and then go to File Explorer
- Inside File Explorer, you should see a list of settings
- Scroll down to the option “Do not allow Folder Options to be opened from the Options button on the View tab of the ribbon”
- Click on it to access its settings on the next screen that shows up. There you will see three options
- Not configured, enabled, and disabled. By default, it would be set to Not Configured
- You have to click on the Enabled radio button.
- Next click on Apply > OK.
That’s it. You have now successfully disabled the Folder options in File Explorer.
Disable Folder Options Using Registry Editor
Now, let’s check out the other method where you can edit the registry and change the value to disable the folder options.
NOTE: Changing Values in the Registry and modifying it may affect the performance of your PC. Carry it out at your own risk only after understanding the steps involved in it properly. GetDroidTips will not be responsible for any technical issues arising with your PC after modifying the registry.
- In the Type Here to Search box, type Regedit
- Then click on Open under Registry Editor
- In the left-hand panel scroll down through the path mentioned in the screenshot below
- Expand Policies to see a folder, Explorer. You have to right-click on it
- Select NEW > then click DWORD (32-bit) Value
- Rename that as NoFolderOptions and make sure to save that
- Double-click on the NoFolderOptions and change its value data to 1.
- Why 1 you may ask.? This is to disable the folder option which is enabled by default.
- Click OK to confirm the change
- Finally, restart your PC so that the modification will take place
So, these are the two ways by which you can disable folder options using Registry or Group Policy Editor on your Windows PC.