Here we will discuss the release of Android 9.0 Pie update for Xiaomi Mi 3/Mi 4.
Google finally released the 9th iteration of Android OS called Android 9.0 Pie. The update has rolled for Pixel supported devices and few other OEM supported with Android Beta. After putting Android users through four beta updates of Android P, Google has named Android 9.0 as Android Pie. It is expected that in the coming months all the devices that had been signed up for the Android P beta program including the OnePlus 6, Oppo R15 Pro, Vivo X21 and more will receive the Android P update first.
Table of Contents
When will Xiaomi release Android 9.0 Pie update for Xiaomi Mi 3/Mi 4?
Xiaomi Mi 3/Mi 4 are an old flagship device from Xiaomi which was launched in the year 2013 and 2014. As far as we know, this device will never receive any official Android 9.0 Pie update from Xiaomi. But you don’t need to worry, we can enjoy custom ROM based on any latest OS on this phone until the developer stop porting. Today XDA Senior member has ported the AOSP Pie ROM for Xiaomi Mi 3/Mi 4 and Mi 4 LTE variant. Check out the guide below on how to install Android 9.0 Pie update for Xiaomi Mi 3/Mi 4.
For all Xiaomi update timeline, you check out the List of Android 9 Pie Supported Xiaomi Devices.
What’s on Android 9.0 Pie?
Watch our video to know what’s new in Android 9.0 Pie and top features on it.
Android 9.0 Pie is the 9th iteration and a major update of Google’s Android OS. The new Android Pie brings a couple of design changes to the successor Android Oreo but the most notable one is the gesture-based navigation system. Other features of Android 9 Pie are New Quick Settings UI design, Redesigned volume slider, Advanced Battery with AI Support, Notch Support, Improved Adaptive Brightness, Manual theme selection, Android Dashboard which Google calls Digital Wellbeing, and more other features.
[su_youtube_advanced url=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HSqeuLK4G0&t=10s” controls=”alt” rel=”no”]
Want to try Android 9.0 Pie update for Xiaomi Mi 3/Mi 4?
If you want to enjoy Android 9.0 Pie features, then follow the below guide.
Make sure you have Unlocked Bootloader and installed TWRP Recovery on Mi 3/Mi 4.
- Supported on Mi 3/Mi 4 (cancro)
- Charge your phone up to 50% or more.
- Take a complete backup of your phone data [Follow any method]
- How to Backup Your Android Phone Without ROOT
- How to Backup Complete Stock or Custom ROM using TWRP recovery
- Backup Your Android Apps and Data with Titanium Backup
- How to Backup Your Android Phone Directly to PC with TWRP!!
- How to Backup Your Data on Android device
- If you already have TWRP: then you can Create and Restore Nandroid Backup via TWRP
- Unlock The Bootloader on any Xiaomi device
- Install the latest TWRP recovery on Mi 3/Mi 4. [Recommended TWRP recovery image here]
- Download the AOSP Android 9.0 Pie. [Thanks to the XDA Senior member vasishath / Shahan_mik3]
- Download Android 9.0 Pie Gapps package.
Instructions to Install on Mi 3/Mi 4:
- Move the download AOSP Android 9.0 Pie and Android Pie Gapps to internal storage [root folder]
- Now boot your device into TWRP Recovery.
- Before installing Wipe System Data on TWRP Recovery (DO NOT WIPE INTERNAL STORAGE)
- Now follow the guide on how to flash custom ROM using TWRP Recovery
- You can follow the same guide to flash the Gapps file on your phone.
- That’s it! You can reboot your device to enjoy AOSP Android 9.0 Pie Update on Mi 3/Mi 4.
Root Android 9.0 Pie on Mi 3/Mi 4:
We are not responsible if the rooting procedure didn’t work on your phone.
Download and Install SuperSU root on your phone.
If you don’t want SuperSU rooting guide, then you can try Magisk on your phone.
Hope this guide was helpful to install AOSP Android 9.0 Pie update for Mi 3/Mi 4.
You can also wait for the Lineage OS 16.0 which will be based on Android 9 Pie.