Many complaints are arising from a lot of Windows 7 users that they are facing an error 0x000000a5 while trying to install Windows 7. And the error mainly occurs in the time the installation is ‘Copying Windows Files.’ There are several reasons for appearing such an error as well as different solutions to solve the error.
Sometimes this error may occur due to any technical defect or any hardware problem. Anyway, in the wake of the rising amount of complaints from users, we tried hard to find solutions for this error. In this article, we discuss more solutions to fix the Stop error 0x000000a5 while trying to install Windows 7.
There are a few main reasons which may cause this error, and you can solve this directly.
- Due to the inconsistency of the BIOS, this error can appear. To solve this issue, you need to follow the BIOS update documentation given by your motherboard manufacturer to upload BIOS latest version.
- The next reason is when you BIOS configured to use WIMBoot using old HDD for the installation of Windows 7. To solve the issue, you have to go to your BIOS settings and make necessary changes in the LPSS & SCC configuration.
- Sometimes the reason for causing this error is due to the failure of RAM or a broken RAM slot. To get rid of this issue, you need to change your RAM stick or replace the broken Ram slot.
- Or, in case you are using an old machine, you need to put more pressure for the installation of the Standard PC HAL, while your BIOS is not fully Advanced Configuration and with the Power Interface (ACPI) complaint.
If you tried all the above reasons and failed, then you can reset your BIOS or UEFI settings to the default, and you do the installation again. The main reason behind ‘Stop error 0x000000a5’ is the BIOS inconsistency. So mainly, you need to upgrade your BIOS.
Table of Contents
Update your BIOS to the latest version
In our flawless research, we find that the error ‘Stop error 0x000000a5’ chiefly appears due to the BIOS inconsistency. This error mainly shows that your present BIOS is unsuitable with Advanced Configuration and with the Power Interface (ACPI), which supports Windows 7. So to solve this issue, you have to update your BIOS. But one thing you have to note, BIOS interfaces are entirely different for varied motherboard manufacturers.
So the best possible way to update your BIOS is to depend on online. There you can search on the “BIOS update + motherboard model” and follow the instructions of the official website correctly.
Here we are giving some of the prominent motherboard manufactures, and you can search on their official website to get instructions to update BIOS:
- Sony Vaio
In general, you can use a USB flash drive to update your BIOS version. Follow the steps below to update your BIOS using this method.
- First of all, connect a USB empty flash drive and then right-click the flash drive and select “Format.”
- Later in the Format window, set the file system to FAT32 and check the “Quick Format.” And choose ‘Start’ to format.
- After this process goes to the official website of your motherboard manufacturer and download the latest BIOS firmware version and copy the downloaded file to the formatted USB flash drive.
Please note: while updating your BIOS, you must need to change the files depending on the motherboard manufacturer. So you need to follow the official instructions.
- After copying files, restart the computer and press setup key to go to BIOS settings menu (in case the setup screen didn’t open then go to online and search for the BIOS settings key as per your motherboard model)
- If you enter the BIOS settings menu, find “Update system BIOS” under “Advanced settings.”
- If the update procedure is over, then restart your computer and wait for the next startup. Now you can remove the USB flash drive from the system.
Till you are facing the same error even after this step, then you need to follow the below methods to solve this issue.
You can adjust the LPSS & SCC configuration
In case you are a user of an old motherboard or traditional HDD, then you will encounter the “Stop Error 0x000000a5”. This error appears due to inconsistency with WIMBoot. The WIMboot does not support traditional drives run in hybrid drives or rotational components. To escape from this mess, you need to adjust the LPSS & SCC configuration in your BIOS settings. Follow this step to modify the LPSS & SCC configuration.
- Open the error affected computer and enter the “Setup key” as soon as possible.
- When you reached the BIOS settings menu, go to “Advanced settings”>” LPSS SCC configuration.”
- Then change the drop-down menu related to the Operating system to 7
- Save the changes, and you can continue with the installation process.
Replace RAM or broken RAM slot
If the RAM is not correctly seated or the failures of the RAM stick, the Stop Error 0x000000A5 may appear on your computer screen. This issue will only occur at the system startup. You can verify your RAM performance with programs like HWmoniter and Memtest.
In case no red flags are found with your RAM, then you need to change the RAM slot. After changing the RAM slot, if the error doesn’t reappear, then you can make sure that you are using a faulty RAM slot. This time you need the help of an experienced technical hand.
Install the standard PC HAL ( Hardware Abstraction Layer)
When you use an old machine, you have to face the error Stop Error 0x000000a5 due your BIOS is not fully ACPI compliant. To solve this issue, you need to gain BIOS that is fully ACPI compliant. After that, the Windows will automatically install the Standard PC HAL. Follow this step to install the standard PC HAL.
- Reboot your system to launch Windows Setup screen
- Press F7 to install standard PC HAL
- After the installation, the ‘Stop error 0x000000a5’ will never interrupt you.
If all the above solutions failed, then you can try Reverting BIOS/UEFI to the default settings. Before trying this method, you need to make sure that you are using the latest BIOS and UEFI version, As well as you, are using Standard PS HAL.
Reset BIOS settings to default
- Restart your system and when you reach the “original screen” enter Setup key
- In the “BIOS settings” find “Setup Defaults” then change the setting as default BIOS configuration
- Save the change and exit the BIOS settings and try the Windows 7 installation process again.
Reset UEFI settings to default
- Enter Windows key+R to open Ron dialog and type “ms-settings: recovery,” then click Enter button, and Recovery menu will open.
- Later in the Recovery menu, select the “Restart Now” button related to the advanced setup.
- Hereafter the computer will navigate you to the “Advanced Options” menu.
- Then you go to Troubleshoot>Advanced Options and select UEFI/BIOS Firmware settings.
- In the UEFI settings> Settings menu>Restore defaults
- Save the change and exit from the UEFI settings
- Restart your system and try the Windows 7 installation process again.
The error ‘Stop error 0x000000a5’ can occur due to the problem in computer hardware or the drivers. You need to make sure that all the hardware you installed on your PC is compatible with Windows 7. After verifying this in detail, you can try other solutions.
The solutions given above are reliable, and you can easily use these methods to get rid of the error. The Bios settings are different in varied motherboard manufacturers. Anyhow, we tried hard to find dependable solutions for all varied motherboard manufacturers. After reading this article, if you have any queries or feedback, please write down the comment in the below comment box.