Dealing with unexpected shutdowns can be quite frustrating, especially regarding your prized Asus ROG Ally handheld gaming console. However, it is just a small glitch that can be fixed using a few simple solutions.
Join us in this article as we unravel the Top 6 Solutions for Fixing “Asus ROG Ally Keeps Shutting Down.” While in the middle of an intense gaming session with a lot of progress, sudden shutdowns can be irritating. As Asus ROG Ally Keeps Shutting Down, it disrupts your flow and leaves you searching for solutions. Therefore, we are here to help you eliminate those frequent shutdowns and resume your uninterrupted gaming experience like before.
Here is a straightforward guide that will walk you through the same. Let’s get started:
- Why does Asus ROG Ally Keep Shutting Down?
- How to fix the Asus ROG Ally Keeps Shutting Down issue?
Why does Asus ROG Ally Keep Shutting Down?
If your ROG Ally Keeps Shutting Down, there could be various reasons behind the same. Here are some of the most common amongst them:
- Overheating is either due to a malfunctioning cooling system or excess usage. As a protective measure, overheating can trigger automatic shutdowns.
- Outdated drivers, incompatible settings, or a corrupted operating system can be the culprit.
- Malware or Viruses may affect performance stability, resulting in sudden shutdowns.
- Interrupted power supply due to a faulty battery or charging unit.
How to fix the Asus ROG Ally Keeps Shutting Down issue?
Here is a list of solutions that will help you get over the Asus ROG Ally Keeps Shutting Down issue:
Fix 1: Check the Asus ROG Ally for Overheating
When facing the frequent/ sudden Shutdown issue with Asus ROG Ally, the first solution is to check the device for overheating. Overheating can lead to thermal shutdowns as a protective measure to prevent component damage.
Follow the steps given below and ensure your device isn’t overheating.
- Firstly, use a third-party tool to monitor your CPU and GPU temperature during gaming. This software offers accurate readings of your CPU and GPU temperatures.
- Check your Asus ROG Ally for dust and debris accumulation. Such issues can hinder efficient heat dissipation.
- If your device allows, go to the BIOS and adjust fan speeds and performance settings. However, before that, ensure these settings are optimized for cooling in your device.
Fix 2: Turn off Fast Startup
One of the most effective solutions while facing the issue of your Asus ROG Ally laptop shutting down unexpectedly is turning off the “Fast Startup” feature. Fast Startup is meant to speed up the startup times. However, it, at times, may result in a sudden shutdown of the device due to one or other conflicts.
For Turning Off Fast Startup, follow the steps given below:
- Press the Windows Key on your device, type “Control Panel” of the search box, and press Enter.
- On the Control Panel window, set the view mode to Large icons.
- Now, select the option Power Options.
- Further, inside the Power Options window, click on Choose what the power buttons Do option.
- Now, on the next screen, locate Change settings that are currently unavailable and click on it.
- Next, scroll down to the Shutdown settings section and uncheck the option Turn on fast startup (recommended).
- Now scroll to the end of the page and click on Save Changes. Once done, restart your Asus ROG Ally laptop.
Fix 3: Update Outdated Drivers and GPU Driver
If your ROG Ally console is experiencing random shutdowns, outdated drivers could be a potential cause. Here’s how you can Update outdated Drivers and and resolve the issue:
- Firstly, visit the Asus Driver & Tools section on the Asus official website.
- Now, locate your specific ROG Ally model. Further, choose your Operating System and get the appropriate driver version.
- Now, look for the Graphics section and click the Download button. It will download the latest GPU driver for your system.
- Once the driver is downloaded, run the installation file on your ROG Ally and follow the on-screen instructions.
Fix 4: Scan for Viruses
There could be the possibility of malware or viruses if you are facing an Asus ROG Ally laptop shutting down unexpectedly. Malicious software can sometimes lead to sudden shutdowns. If you are curious about the same, perform a full system scan using Windows Security (Windows Defender). Doing so can ensure your laptop is free from any threats. To do so, follow the step-by-step process explained below:
- Go to the desktop search bar, type “Windows Security“, and launch the relevant search result.
- On the next window, navigate to Virus & Threat Protection, probably on the left-hand side of the screen. Here, click on the option Quick Scan. Further, select Full Scan -> Scan Now to initiate a thorough scan of your entire system.
PLEASE NOTE: A full system scan can take a significant amount of time, a few hours, so be patient.
- If any malicious software is detected, Windows Security will guide you through the steps to remove or quarantine it. However, if not, move to the next fix.
Fix 5: Check the Power Supply
Ensure the power supply or battery isn’t contributing if your ROG Ally is experiencing random shutdowns. To do so, here’s all that you need to do:
- Ensure your ROG Ally’s power adapter is securely connected to the power source. Also, check the power adapter for any visible damage, frayed cables, or bent connectors. A damaged power adapter can lead to inconsistent power delivery and cause shutdowns.
- You must ensure that the battery is properly installed. A damaged battery or an improper battery installation may result in sudden shutdowns.
- Monitor the temperature of your console, and if it’s getting excessively hot, it could be the culprit.
- Upon finding the battery, power adapter, or any other hardware component as the culprit, consider replacing or repairing them as needed.
Fix 6: Perform Startup Repair
Lastly, if nothing helps, perform a Startup Repair and check if it helps in resolving the issue. Startup Repair generally addresses various technical issues, and if they are the culprit for ROG Ally shutdown issue, here’s what you need to do:
- Go to the Windows Start menu and launch Settings.
- In the Settings window, select Update & Security and navigate to the Recovery tab.
- Here, under the Advanced Startup section, click on the Restart now tab to reboot your laptop in recovery mode.
- Once the system restarts, click on Troubleshoot -> Advanced Options (From given options).
- Further, click Start-up Repair, select your User Account, enter your password, and click Continue.
- The startup repair process will now begin to repair any Windows-related issues that might be causing the unexpected shutdowns. Once done, restart your laptop (as prompted) and follow the on-screen instructions (if any).
Performing a startup repair can help identify and resolve any underlying system issues that might be leading to random shutdowns.
Overall, these were the six fixes that have helped multiple users get through the Asus ROG Ally gaming console randomly shutting down issue. From inspecting the device for overheating to suspecting malware, power supply interruption, and more, the solutions are truly helpful.
We hope by the end of this article, your concern regarding your Asus ROG Ally shutting down repeatedly may have been resolved.