DirecTV is a direct broadcasting satellite service provider in the USA that’s a sub-brand of AT&T. It offers digital satellite television and audio to households that includes TV shows, movies, and much more. However, it seems that plenty of DirecTV users are now experiencing Error Code 721 (Channel Not Purchased) while trying to watch specific channels.
If you’re also facing the same issue, make sure to follow this troubleshooting guide. It becomes one of the most common issues for DirecTV users, but the affected users are not aware of the reason behind such an error. Well, according to the multiple reports online, affected users are saying that there are a couple of possible reasons behind it.
How to Fix DirecTV Error Code 721 (Channel Not Purchased)
First of all, it seems that the specific DirecTV channels are not part of your subscribed package and that’s why you’re unable to watch those channels. It’s quite obvious as well because the error message is coming that ‘Channel Not Purchased’, and you’ve most probably forgotten that.
Whereas it may also possible that the DirecTV receiver is somehow not getting the program info for the problematic channels via satellite. Additionally, the chances are also high that there is a potential software glitch that you’re encountering with your DirecTV program. So, as we’ve now a couple of possible reasons available, let’s straight jump into the workarounds below.
1. Ensure the problematic channel is active in your package
Most users make the mistake of not having cross-checked the channel whether it’s included and active in the subscribed package or not and start complaining about the service. So, make sure to ensure whether the problematic channel is subscribed by you or not. To check that:
- Head over to the DirecTV channel lineup page > Go to Check it under the Get Channel Lineup option.
- Once you’re on the channel list, scroll down through the several packages, and locate your subscribed package.
- Here you’ll obviously find out whether the problematic channel(s) is activated under your current package or not. [If the specific channel is showing a question mark that means it’s not active or included in the package]
- In that scenario, if you want to activate that channel, make sure to renew the package by asking for customer support.
2. Refresh the DirecTV Service
Now, if you’re aware that the 721 error isn’t occurring because the channel isn’t part of the active package plan then it may possible that there is a system glitch with the DirecTV service. In that sense, performing the power cycle can help you out. To do so:
- Make sure that the DirecTV receiver isn’t currently streaming any channel.
- Now, unplug the receiver’s power cord from the power source (outlet) as well as from the back of the receiver and wait for around 15 seconds.
- Then plug back the power cord in and press the power button of the receiver to boot it.
- Once the receiver boots up, try checking the problem again.
3. Reset your receiver
If in case, power cycling method doesn’t help you out of this issue, make sure to reset your receiver which means some possible firmware glitch is preventing the data regarding your DirecTV package from being updated with the latest changes. To do that:
- First of all, locate the Reset button on the backside of the receiver.
- Once you locate the Reset button (small red button) inside the access card door, short-press the red button.
- Wait for it to restart and all the lights should flash at once.
- Once done, make sure to check for the issue again.
4. Contact ATT Support
If none of the methods worked for you, try contacting ATT DirecTV Support to get additional troubleshooting steps or further investigation of the respective issue.
That’s it, guys. We assume this guide was helpful to you. For additional queries, you can comment below.