The Error code 0xc0000142 is a common Windows error that generally comes up when you are using Microsoft Office, Fortnite, Steam, AutoCAD or any other programs. It is a highly annoying error that stops any application from initializing.
The error can happen in any Windows version. When you try to launch a program, you’re welcomed by this error message. “The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142). Click OK to close the application.”
Mostly the error arises due to the loss of some specific files in the system directory. But there can be many reasons for this problem. We have provided you with a list of solutions. Try them one by one.
Reasons for Error code 0xc0000142:
Here are two main reasons behind this error.
- The presence of malfunctions or corruption present in the files of the application that you are trying to use.
- Another main reason can be the DLL files (that are required to launch your games or programs) are invalid.
Solutions to Fix the Error Code 0xc0000142:
Restart your computer
When you reboot your system, all the ongoing processes will close. Try restarting the system so that you can reopen the applications that were showing the error. See if the issue is resolved.
If the issue didn’t get resolved, try the next solution.
Uninstall the Game or Application
You should consider uninstalling the game or the application which is showing this error. The error arises due to some lost files in that application. So, use a third-party uninstaller app to remove the problem causing application including its leftover files and registry. Reinstall it and see if the issue is still present. As well as Nvidia’s drivers are also known to cause this problem, in this situation, try uninstalling GeForce utility. If the issue is still present, try the next solution.
Run in Compatibility Mode
There is a chance of fixing the issue by running the application in compatibility mode. Follow these few steps given below.
- Choose the application which is causing trouble and right-click on it.
- You’ll find an option with
- Go to the Compatibility tab
- Choose the compatibility mode according to your system.
- Click Apply, and then
- You can see if the application works in Windows 7 or you can try other options.
The problem can arise due to any corrupted files present in the application. You can run a system file check and see if it solves the issue.
- Open the Command Prompt
- Run this Command lines
- Choose the Control Panel and then select Programs and Features
- Then, go to Uninstall a Program
- Sort the programs by date and uninstall the recently launched programs.
If the error didn’t resolve, go to the next solution.
Using Registry Editor
You can use the registry editor to change the value of LoadAppinit_dlls key to 0. Since the problem is caused by the corrupted DLL, changing its value to 0 might solve the problem. Follow these steps given below.
- Press Windows key +R.
- In the box type exe and press Enter
- Navigate this path
- You will find Double click on it.
- Change its value data to 0 and then press
- Reboot your computer, and see if the issue is resolved.
Command Prompt Configuration
The error can also arise if the Command Prompt settings are not configured properly. Follow these steps to learn how to change the configuration.
- Press Windows key +R and open the Run dialog box.
- Here, you type “cmd” in the box and press Enter
- You have to type the following command and then press Enter.
for %i in (%windir%\system32\*.ocx) do regsvr32.exe /s %i
- After the process is completed, restart your computer.
If the error is still there, go to the next solution.
If none of the above solutions worked, try running the troubleshooter.
- Go to the Windows Settings
- Find Update & Security
- Choose Troubleshoot
- Now, click on Windows Update and choose the Run the troubleshooter
- If there are any bugs present, the troubleshooter will automatically find and repair it.
- After completion of the process, restart your computer.
You can use this method to fix if any issue is present in the Windows Update. Check if the error code 0xc0000142 is still present or not.
Rearranging System Locale
Certain applications won’t start if their right regions are not selected. By correcting their regions in the settings we can fix this issue.
Follow these simple steps.
- Press Windows key + S
- Type “Control Panel“
- Go to the first program in the list
- Click on “View by” and from the categories choose the “Small icons” option.
- Go to Regions and select the “Administrative Tab“
- Choose “Change System Locale” and from the dropdown, section click on “Current System Locale“
- You have to select your appropriate region from the list click Restart your computer and see if the issue continues.
In this guide, we tried to provide you with solutions to deal with the error code 0xc0000142. Your application will be unable to start until this issue is fixed. Otherwise, whenever you try to open your app, this error will pop up.
Generally, the error occurs while launching a program, opening any games or applications. You need to instantly fix this issue and you can follow the guide given above. Go step by step and see which solution solves this error on your computer. If you have any queries or feedback, please write down the comment in the comment box. Also, check out our iPhone Tips and Tricks, PC tips and tricks, and Android Tips and Tricks if you’ve got queries for it or want help. Thank you.