The good thing about Samsung flagship smartphones is they continue to get consistent software update years after their release. We are talking about the Galaxy S8 which is getting a September 2019 security patch in Canada. It is moving over-the-air with build number G950WVLU6CSI3. It is based on Android 9.0 Pie.
It’s interesting to note that Samsung did not roll out the October security patch for this device. The Project zero Analysis team of Google have mentioned the security vulnerability which can provide remote access of the device to the cybercriminals. We even had the Galaxy A50, Galaxy S9 receive a quick October 2019 security patch to fix the issue. Galaxy S8 was also listed as vulnerable. However, in the Canada region, the users are receiving the September 2019 update, that too in the mid of October. Samsung rolls timely update but it should be able to release at least those updates quick to patch such security vulnerabilities.
This update will roll gradually for the users. While some users may get it early, a few others will see the update in the coming days. An alternate way for an instant update to the September patch is by flashing the firmware zip which comes with the same build number G950WVLU6CSI3. We have put up the download link of the firmware below and along with a tutorial. So, that should make things easier for you.
Download OTA Updates
OTA moves in batches. That’s why we said above that first a batch of few users will receive the update. Meanwhile, you can also check the update from the device manually. In order to do that, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Go to the phone Settings > System Update > tap on Check for Latest Updates.
If the September Security patch 2019 update shows up on your device, then tap on the Download button and Install the update. Ensure that you have ample battery percentage on your device before you update. A low battery condition is not ideal for software installation.
Now, before we move onto discuss the firmware and how to download it, we have put up the firmware info. Let’s check it out.
- Device Name: Samsung Galaxy S8 (SM-G950W)
- Model: SM-G950W
- Baseband Version: G950WVLU6CSI3
- Security Patch Level: 2019-09-01 (September)
- Region: Canada
- Software Supported: Odin Flash Tool
- Android OS: 9.0 Pie
- Supported Tele-carriers: Fideo, Rogers, Videotron, Bell, Virgin, Globalive, Sasktel, Koodo, Telus, East link.
Install G950WVLU6CSI3 Canadian Galaxy S8 September 2019 Patch
Installation basically requires you to use the ODIN flash tool and install the firmware build G950WVLU6CSI3 on your Canada Galaxy S8. We have got both for you. Simply download and follow our guide to flash it.
First, you have to follow the requirements listed below and get the tools required for the flashing process.
- The firmware update file is only for Galaxy S8 (SM-G950W). Don’t try it on other models.
- Keep your device battery charged up to 50% at least to reduce the occasional shutdown.
- A PC or Laptop and a USB Cable are required to connect your device with the PC.
- Take a Complete Backup without Root of your device data before doing anything.
- You have to download and install Samsung USB Drivers on your PC.
- Download the ODIN flash tool.
- Install the Samsung Kies software on your computer.
- You will need to enter into the Samsung Download Mode as well.
Now follow the link below and grab the firmware file for the Galaxy S8.
Firmware Download Link
Stock Firmware Installation Guide
All you need to do is download the firmware and make sure to have the ODIN flash tool. Then check out the link below. There is a video tutorial as well which will make installtion process easier for you.Install Stock ROM on Galaxy S8 using Odin Tool Video tutorial to flash stock ROM on Samsung Galaxy S8
Now, that you know the trick, go and install the latest update on yur Canadian Galaxy S8 and upgrade it to Septemebr 2019 security patch. We hope that this tutorial is useful to you.