Samsung in USA started rolling a new update for both Galaxy S8 and S8+ which upgrades the security patch level to May 2019. The update is labeled with build number G950USQU5DSDA (S8) / G955USQU5DSDA (S8+) and rolling out for users over-the-air. The latest security maintenance release fixes several vulnerabilities in both Android OS and Samsung’s software OneUI.
With this update, Samsung improved the overall security features and improved the performance of the Galaxy S8/S8+ US Carrier variants which includes Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint, AT&T. You can check for the software update manually from the Galaxy S8/S8+ Settings > About Phone > Software update. But if you’re an advanced user and don’t want to wait for a long, install the firmware update package from the Odin tool. The firmware with build number G950USQU5DSDA / G955USQU5DSDA is currently available for download from below.
How to Download Over-The-Air Update..?
The OTA (over the air) usually comes to your device automatically but there is no guarantee how long it would take you to receive the OTA individually. This means even if the update is available in some parts of your region, you may not get to see it for weeks due to phase-wise roll out. So, the alternative way is to search for the software on your own. To do it,
- In your phone Settings > System Update.
- Tap on Check for Latest Updates.
- If the G950USQU5DSDA / G955USQU5DSDA May 2019 update shows as available, then tap on Download.
The software for May 2019 may weigh a lot in size. So, the ideal way is to find and connect to a Wi-Fi network. Then download the OTA via Wi-Fi. It will save your carrier data charges. Your Galaxy S8/S8+ must have at least 50% or more before installing the new May 2019 security update.
Here are the details of the firmware which brings the May security for US Carrier Galaxy S8/S8+.
- Device Name: Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+
- Model: SM-G950U/ SM-G955U
- Region: USA
- Variant: US Carrier
- Carrier Support: Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint, AT&T and more
- Baseband Version: G950USQU5DSDA / G955USQU5DSDA
- Security Patch Level: 2019-05-01
- Software Supported: ODIN Tool
- Android OS: 9.0 Pie
How to Install May 2019 Patch on Galaxy S8/S8+ (US Carrier)?
We have to follow the regular method and use the Odin tool to install the new stock firmware on Galaxy S8/S8+. We have put up the tutorial below which will help you install the latest stock firmware on your phone. Do make sure to check the guidelines before you install the new update.
- This Android Pie firmware is exclusively for Galaxy S8/S8+. Do not use it on other devices.
- Charge your device’s battery up to 50% or more before performing the update.
- A PC/Laptop
- Take a Full Backup on your phone before installing any new firmware.
- You must install Samsung USB Drivers on your PC.
- Download and Install Samsung Kies software.
- You need to Enter the Samsung Download Mode.
Here is the download link for the US Carrier Galaxy S8/S8+ stock firmware which packs the May 2019 security patch.
Manual Installation Guide
Simply follow the link below to know how to flash the Samsung firmware to complete stock.
So, that’s it, guys. Grab the G950USQU5DSDA / G955USQU5DSDA update fortify your US Carrier Galaxy S8/S8+ from all security vulnerabilities. We hope his tutorial was useful. If you have got any doubts then do reach us through the comments section.