Essential brought their first smartphone back in 2017 and since then, users have been waiting for their second-generation phone. Moreover, there have been rumors that Essential will unveil their second phone soon, but that seems unlikely. However, the Essential Phone update cycle is among the best and it has been receiving the Android updates alongside Google Pixel devices. But there are people who like to root and get their devices modded according to their needs.
And if you are looking for ways on how to install monthly OTA updates on your rooted Essential phone then you are at the right place. As in this post, we will guide you on how to install monthly OTA updates on the rooted essential phone. You need to make sure to follow all the steps as mentioned below in order to avoid damage to your device. So, without any further ado, let us get straight into the article itself:
Table of Contents
Guide to install Monthly OTA updates on Rooted Essential Phone
Before we head down with the steps to install monthly OTA on rooted Essential phone, let us take a quick look at the pre-requisites and download the files required for this process.
- Make sure that this procedure is only for Essential Phone 1.
- You need a Windows laptop or desktop.
- You need a stock OS on your device.
- Make sure that you have an unlocked bootloader on your smartphone.
Steps to Install Monthly OTA in Rooted Essential Phone
- First of all, you need to enable the Developer Options on your Essential Phone.
- Go to Settings>>About Phone>>tap on the Build Number 7 times till you see a toast message “You are now a developer”.
- Under the Developer Options, you need to enable the USB Debugging option as well.
- To do that again head to the Settings>>Developer Options>>enable USB Debugging.
- Now, download the platform-tools (ADB and Fastboot tools) from the download section above and extract it.
- Also, download the OTA update file and copy it into the ADB Folder.
- Verify the checksum of the image. I use hashtab which allows you to right-click on any file and click properties and see the hashes as a tab in the properties menu. The SHA-256 is listed right under the OTA download link just copy and paste it into the hashtab to verify
- Note that you need to remove your security PIN and Password by going to going to Settings> Security & Location> Screen Lock> Set it to None.
- Connect it to your PC via a USB cable.
- Open the CMD or command prompt by pressing the Shift + Right-click combination on the same folder where you have extracted the contents of the ADB and Fastboot Tools.
- Type in the below commands in the CMD and press Enter;
- The above command will show you the list of devices connected to the PC. In case your device’s serial number is not listed, then you need to reinstall the USB drivers and retry again.
- Now, if the phone is listed, type the below command to proceed;
adb reboot recovery
- Press and hold Power + Volume Up keys together to enter Recovery Mode.
- Run the following command:
(Then check that your device shows up with “sideload” next to its name)
- Run the following command:
adb sideload OTAupdate.zip
- Now reboot your phone.
- Now you need to copy the boot image from here that you downloaded earlier to a folder directly on your phone.
- Open Magisk Manager and head to Install>Install>Patch Boot Image.
- Select the boot image from step 1 and then let Magisk proceed in creating a patched image file.
- Then, copy the file “magisk_patched.img” file that Magisk just created from your device back to the computer and put it in the ADB folder “C:\platform-tools”.
- You need to plug in your phone and open CMD prompt:
adb reboot bootloader
- Confirm that your phone in Fastboot by entering:
- Enter the below command:
fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img
- Restart your phone and that’s it!
So, there you have it from my side in this post. Hope you guys liked the post and were able to successfully install the monthly OTA updates on your Essential Phone 1. Follow all the instructions mentioned above in order to avoid any problems while unlocking the bootloader on your Nokia device. Let us know in the comments below if you come across any issues. Until the next post…Cheers!