Now, this is something that we have faced quite a lot. As we are surrounded by technology everywhere we go and stay, it is bound to happen that we have lost track of our gadgets and misplaced them. Sometimes, if our luck is not in our favor, these gadgets are often stolen and are lost. However, since the switch happened from wired earphones to truly wireless earbuds, it has added to our tension to keep them in place and not to lose them as the AirPods are by no means connected to each other via anything and if you lose even one of the earbuds then there is no way to purchase another single pair of earbud. You will have to shell out money for purchasing a new AirPod altogether.
However, there are methods via which you can find your lost Apple AirPods. These methods are also great if by mistake you have misplaced your AirPods as they are very small and are easily forgettable. So, in this post, we will look at how to find your Apple AirPods if you misplace them or lose them. So, without any further ado, let us get straight into the article itself;
Requirements for locating the AirPods
Now, before you go straight ahead and try to locate your AirPods, you need to have few pre-requisites in order to locate your AirPods;
- Your AirPods must be connected via Bluetooth. So, the AirPods must be within the range of one of your Apple devices.
- The search only works if the headphones or the earbuds are not in their closed case.
- You need to have an active iCloud account.
- Last but not least, it is necessary to activate the Find My iPhone service before you lose the AirPods. If you have not activated this service then, this method will not work for you.
How To Find Your Lost Apple AirPods
There are some methods that you can follow in order to locate your lost AirPods. We will be mentioning them one by one in this post.
1. Using the “Find My iPhone” app
If you have misplaced or lost your AirPods then, you can use any of your Apple devices like the iPad or an iPhone to locate your AirPods (if it meets the required criteria as mentioned in the “Requirements for locating the AirPods” section)
- When you set up your iPhone, you can install this application with it at the time of setup if you wanted. However, if you did not then, download it from the App Store.
- Now, once you have installed the Find My iPhone application on your device then, open the app and log in with your Apple ID and password.
- Then in the next step, your iPhone will ask you to allow location access for the app, which is necessary for it to work. Tap Allow.
- After that, you can turn on the Send Last Location feature. This feature will then save the last known location of your iPhone or connected devices for up to 24 hours, even if the battery is dead. Tap Activate to do enable this feature.
- The app will now open a map. The round icons on it show the location where your iPhone, iPad, AirPods, or Apple Watch are. Moreover, you do not need to set anything up, as Apple automatically locates all your devices when they’re paired via Bluetooth.
- Now, tap and choose the AirPods (the name you have set for your AirPods) from the list below the map. Once you do that, a new menu will open.
- Then, tap the Actions button and select the Vehicle icon. You will be then automatically switched to the “Maps” app and the address will be shown where your AirPods are located. Moreover, the app will also show you the route and the distance to the location of your headphones in meters.
This method helps you to locate one earbud at a time and in case you have found one of the earbuds then, you need to put that earbud in your charging case and reload the Map again to find the other earbud.
However, if your AirPods cannot be located via the app, there can be several reasons for this:
- Your AirPods are out of range.
- Your battery is dead.
- The headphones are in the case.
In such cases, in which the Find my iPhone application could not detect the location of your AirPods then, it will show a grey dot on the device list in front of your AirPods. This shows when and where your AirPods were last connected. The app stores the information about your Apple device for about 24 hours so, most of the times you will be able to detect the location of your lost Apple products.
2. Locate AirPods on your computer
You can also track your lost Apple device, AirPods for this topic, easily with the help of a computer. For this, you will need to have an active iCloud account. Follow the below-mentioned steps;
- Firstly, go to the iCloud page and log in with your Apple ID and password.
- Now, once you have logged in, click on the iPhone search field. A card with all your connected Apple devices will be displayed.
- The AirPods will automatically appear on the map. It will show you with a green dot when they are connected, otherwise, you will be shown with a grey mark.
3. Playing a sound via “Search my iPhone” app to find the AirPods
You can also find your AirPods by playing a sound to find them. There may be times that they might have fallen behind your bed, desk or slipped through the sofa crack. However, this method is easier to discover and locate your AirPods;
- In the Find My iPhone app, tap the AirPods (select the name that you might have set for your AirPods) in the list below the Map. It will open a detailed map.
- Then, you need to tap on the Actions button below, and then tap Play Sound.
- For two minutes, the headphones will emit a series of high-pitched beeps that gradually increase in volume.
- Once you have discovered your lost AirPods, you can tap Stop Playback in the app. However, if you need more time, then you can always restart the sound.
- In any case, if only one of the two AirPods has appeared, you can mute the headphones you found, to hear the missing one better.
- To do this, tap either Mute Left or Mute Right at the bottom of the “Find My iPhone” app, depending on which earplug you’ve already found.
4. Play sound via the iCloud in your browser
You can also use the iCloud on your PC/Laptop to sound your AirPods and locate them. Just follow the below steps;
- You need to first log in to the iCloud in your browser as described above and go to iPhone Search.
- Now, click the AirPods icon. Moreover, you can select All devices from the above menu, and search for your AirPods in the list and click on it. This will open a new small window at the top right of your browser.
- You can click on the Play Sound button, and the AirPods will start beeping.
So, there you have it from my side in this post. Hope you guys liked this post and this guide that will help you with locating your lost AirPods. Please make a note that you need to have the pre-requisites or the requirements mentioned above, before going straight ahead with the solutions in this post as they might not work. Please do let us know in the comments below if this post helped you and also do let us know any issues that you might have come across while following any of the above-mentioned steps. Until the next post…Cheers!