Windows 10 is the latest and one of the greatest of the operating systems developed by the giant Microsoft. The operating system comes with many performance improvements and more secure architecture over the previous ones. But, quite recently a lot of reports have been coming out, and in these reports there where users are unable to connect to the internet because of the error i.e. the “msftconnecttest.com/redirect. Application not found” Error is seen while trying to do so. This Msftconnecttest redirect error is one of the common issues that is occurring on the Windows operating system supporting or running devices. Rarely the Msftconnecttest redirect error only shows up while connecting to your Wifi and interestingly the personal hotspot connections don’t generate such issue. A lot of reports on the web states that the users cannot connect to the internet due to the redirect error that is appearing on their screens.
- Msftconnecttest Error!
- Connection issues
- HTTP / HTTPS configuration.
- First One; Disable the VPN or Wi-FI ( either any of them, i.e. disable the one which you guys are using) or put msftconnecttest on to the Whitelist
- How to Fix the “Msftconnecttest” Error
- Solution 1: By Disabling the Connection Test
- Solution 2: By Disabling the MS Internet Connection Test by using the Group Policy
- How to Set a Custom test of Internet connection for the server
While in most cases, even after some actions, the error stucks in the loop and also keeps the user from accessing the internet. However, according to people that have suffered from these issues, they suggested that connecting via the hotspot is not the solution for them. As said above, even after changing a lot of settings like where they change the particular settings, preferences, the default web browsers, and like many other changes they had made. That means, this also can’t provide them a change. So, guys, this seems to be an ongoing issue, and before coming to the way to fix Msftconnecttest redirect error, there is a step that involves discussing the reasons behind the error first:
Each time when the application connects to the internet via the Windows operating system, the connection test is indicated to choose the best network. This test can fail and prevent the connection from being established. This also means that when you are connected to the Internet, many times, you get the dialogue box mentioning that msftconnettest.com is unable to found. This error dialogue box comes on the screen when the Internet is not working on your device. This error message shows itself when Windows is unable to download the file connecttest.txt form the msftconnecttest.com. If this is the case, then you may get a lot of the error message.
HTTP / HTTPS configuration.
The default application for the HTTP or HTTPS protocol might not be selected, so the error occurs. The default browser needs to be selected for these specific protocols.
This failure of downloading a file can take place either because of blocked access or the repeating action loop. It takes place mainly due to two reasons, one of them is the use of Antivirus and VPN, and the other is WiFi connection needs the login page to access the Internet. In this condition, you can observe that there will be a small globe symbol or a cross symbol over the display of the network icon. It represents that you don’t have internet access.
- First for eliminating this error, let us try simple methods and later we can get into the detailed method. So you guys can use the following methods, and you can use any one of them for avoiding this error.
First One; Disable the VPN or Wi-FI ( either any of them, i.e. disable the one which you guys are using) or put msftconnecttest on to the Whitelist
As you guys may know, this is a standard error, so in order to resolve this issue. You guys should disable the VPN or WiF i.e. disable the one which are you using. After disabling these things, check whether the error stops or not. If the error message stops showing, then it is because of these connections. After this, let us look at how we can whitelist the msftconnecttest.
For this, you guys have to add the URLs like the ipv6.msftconnecttest.com and msftconnecttest.com in the Whitelist of these connections. Further, if you guys are getting the login page of the WiFi connection, then you should log in or turn off the WiFi connection again, and then check.
How to Fix the “Msftconnecttest” Error
Till this, you guys come to know about the msftconnecttest error and the reasons for happening of the same. We also came up with small solutions for these, if that doesn’t work for you guys. Here we are coming with all the solutions available on the web for you guys.
Solution 1: By Disabling the Connection Test
This msftconnecttest error may get triggered if the computer is set to perform a connection test. That is every time when an application attempts to establish a new connection. Thus, in this step, we will teach that how you guys should disable the connection test entirely. Now follow the steps we mention without any mistakes.
- The very first Step: For disabling this, press the Windows + R keys at the same time to open the Run box. I hope that most of our readers may know about this since this is what we learned from our primary classes. Once this run box appears, Now type regedit and press the Enter key to open Registry Editor.
- Step 2: After opening the Registry Editor, navigate to the below said path:
- Make sure that you won’t mistake while navigating. A single mistake would be enough for the whole process to be waste.
- Step 3: Once you navigate to the path, now in the right pane, double click on the EnableActiveProbing entry.
- Step 4: When this entry gets opened, now in the Value data field, enter 0 in the box and then click on the OK button.
Once all these processes are done, now close the registry and check to see if the “msftconnecttest“ issue still persists or not. If the issue doesn’t occur for you guys again, damn! You can now enjoy surfing without any teardowns. Further, if the issue still persists, don’t worry. We have another solution for you guys. Just sit back, relax, and continue reading the article.
Solution 2: By Disabling the MS Internet Connection Test by using the Group Policy
As we said, if the first doesn’t work, try this method. Actually, this method is meant mainly for the IT Admins out there. An IT Admin is a person who can access the Group Policy Console to make changes in the domain of the desktop or laptop.
- Step 1: For this, first launch the Run by pressing Windows Key + R.
- Second Step: Once the Run dialogue appears, enter the Run Command “gpedit.msc” in the command line and start running the command.
- Third Step: Now, go to the location, and now from here, go to the Computer Configuration then to the Administrative Templates, and System, and then to Internet Communication Management, and finally to Internet Communication settings
- Step 4: Here in this step, you guys have to turn off the Windows Network Connectivity Status Indicator active tests
- Step 5: And finally, now enable the same.
What happens when you guys enable it is, after this the NCSI stops performing a test for mobile internet access. The brand Microsoft has wanted the users if they do it, then there will be a reduction in the NCSI capabilities.
How to Set a Custom test of Internet connection for the server
First, let us look how to do it by using group policy method and later we can do it by using registry editor.
By using Group Policy
The users can set their test through Group Policy Management. To do that, you guys have to stabilize the internet server. Now, you will be able to add the text file to the server. After that, Windows will be able to connect to that customized server and then check the connectivity of the Internet.
- The first Step: Launch the Run window by using Windows + R keys simultaneously.
- Step 2: From here; run the Command gpedit from the command line and run it.
- Step 3: Reach out to the Computer Configuration, and navigate to the Administrative Templates, from here to the Network, and finally to the Network Connectivity Status Indicator.
Once you guys reach till here, now you guys have to make changes in the following policies that includes the:
- DNS probe name of the host
- Website probe URL
- DNS probe address of the host
Once you are done with the changes, the Windows will determine the connection according to these changed parameters.
By Registry Editor
- First Step: Launch Run; this time I don’t explain how to open it. As I’ve told that a ton of times now
- The Second Step: Run the command regedit.
- Third Step: From here go to the address: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\NlaSvc\Parameters\Internet
- Step 4: Further, i.e. after reaching here, you guys have to change the following keys in the connection of the server:
- Step 5: Once you find this, now change the following resolution in the DNS
- Step 6: , In this step, enter the value 1 to the EnableActiveProbing
- Step 7: And finally now check the entries of the registry.
Solution 3: By changing the HTTP / HTTPs Configuration
Where in some cases, this msftconnecttest error is also triggered if the default browser hasn’t been selected for the HTTP / HTTPS protocol. Generally, this error occurs when you guys are using other browsers, i.e. not the default one. Therefore, with this step, you guys should try to change the HTTP / HTTPs configuration. In order to do this follow the below mentioned steps.
- Step 1: For this, press the Windows + I keys simultaneously to open the Settings application. You guys can also open the settings by going to the start menu. The method by which you guys open the Settings doesn’t make any sense. You can open by any method.
- The Second Step: From here search and click on the Apps option and from here select Default apps option from the left pane.
- Third One: And once you are done with this, click on the Choose default apps by protocol option that you can see on your screen.
- Step 4: Then scroll down, find and click on the Select a Default option.
- Step 5: Once you guys reach here, click on the Select a Default browser option for HTTPS and select the browser that you are using from the list.
Now if you guys are done with this, close the window and restart your laptop or desktop. Then check to see if the issue still exists even after restarting. Even if doesn’t solve, follow our another solution
Solution 4: Now Reset the Internet Explorer settings
Yes, you guys can also reset the Internet Explorer settings that also help to fix the “msftconnecttest” issue. For that, follow the steps that we mention below.
- Step 1: For this, Go to the Control Panel. From here navigate to the Network and Internet option. And finally, from here click on the Internet Options.
- The second Step : And finally, click on the Advance tab.
- Step 3: From here, i.e. now in the Reset Internet Explorer settings section, click on Reset option
- Step 4: Once you reach here, now select Reset in the pop-up window to confirm this operation.
Once it gets done, restart your computer and check if the solution works or not. I am damn sure that this will work and you will be able to surf without any issues. Do let us know your thoughts and queries in the comments section.