In this guide, we will show you the steps to install the Android 12 Beta 3.1 on various Google Pixel devices. Now that the three Developer Preview builds are done and dusted, users were waiting in anticipation for the release of the Beta version. And in the recently concluded I/O 2021, Google has announced just that. With that, there is a truckload of new features that you could try out onto your devices.
These include the likes of new privacy features and the introduction to the “Material” You design that would change the device’s theme based on the current wallpaper. Along the same lines, Google Pay and Home controls could directly be accessed from the Quick Settings toggle itself. You could now welcome all these goodies onto your device right away. Given here are the detailed instructions to install the Android 12 Beta 3.1 on Google Pixel devices.
How to Install Android 12 Beta 3.1 on Google Pixel
Before we list out the instruction steps, make sure to take a backup of all the data on your device. Likewise, make sure that your Pixel phone falls under the supported device list, which is given below.
- Pixel 3
- Pixel 3 XL
- Pixel 3a
- Pixel 3a XL
- Pixel 4
- Pixel 4 XL
- Pixel 4a
- Pixel 4a 5G
- Pixel 5 device
If your Google Pixel device falls under this list, then given here are two different methods to install the Android 12 Beta 3.1 update. Proceed with the one that meets your requirement.
Method 1: Opt in to the Beta Program
The first method is fairly simple. You just need to head over to Google’s Beta Enrollment page and sign in to your account. You should see your Pixel device listed there, click on Opt-In. Then accept their Terms and Conditions, and hit the Join Beta button. You should then receive the Android 12 Beta 3.1 as an OTA update onto your Pixel device.
You may also manually check for the update by heading over to Settings > System > Advanced > System Updates. However, do keep in mind that there’s no designated time as to when you would receive this update, it might even take a few hours. So if you wish to cut this wait time, then head over to the next method given below.
Method 2: Install Android 12 Beta 3.1 Via ADB Sideload
To begin with, download the Android 12 Beta 3.1 update package for your Pixel device. We have shared both the files, the OTA as well as the Factory Image. If you are looking to install the update from scratch with a data wipe, then go for the Factory Images. On the other hand, to install to update over your current OS without erasing data, then proceed with the OTA file.
Once you have downloaded the Android 12 Beta 3.1 file, proceed with the below instructions to install it onto your Pixel device.
- First off, install the Android SDK Platform Tools onto your PC.
- Then transfer the downloaded file to this platform-tools folder. Likewise, it is recommended to name this file to something shorter, such as update.zip.
- After that, enable USB Debugging on your Pixel device and connect it to the PC via USB cable.
- Head over to the platform-tools folder, type in CMD in its address bar, and hit Enter. This shall launch the Command Prompt.
- Type in the below command to boot your device to Recovery Mode
adb reboot recovery
- Then use the Volume Keys to select the ‘Apply update from ADB’ option and hit the Power key to confirm it.
- Finally, execute the below command and the update would start installing onto your device.
adb sideload update.zip
- Once the process is complete, your device shall boot to the newly upgraded OS.
So with this, we conclude the guide on how to install the Android 12 Beta 3.1 on various Google Pixel devices. If you have any queries concerning the aforementioned steps, do let us know in the comments section below. Rounding off, here are some iPhone Tips and Tricks, PC tips and tricks, and Android Tips and Tricks that you should check out as well.