Updated on September 26, 2020: Huawei does not want to leave any stones unturned, because the company is planning to base all its next year smartphone lineup powered by the HarmonyOS. Notably, all the devices that are running on Android will be upgraded to HarmonyOS, after which the phones that the company will come up with and release thereafter will come out of the box with HarmonyOS. This would be a challenging and exciting situation for all the tech-enthusiasts as to how the Chinese OEM is planning to ditch Android altogether starting 2021.
Updated on September 23, 2020: The company is going full throttle for the implementation of the HarmonyOS to attract the Android developers. In a recent development, Huawei states its plans for opening up the Huawei Mobile Services and HarmonyOS to rival manufacturers. This is done in order to lure the Android OEMs to make use of the HMS or HarmonyOS on their devices. But right now, it would be too early to say if that would happen, or whether the HarmonyOS will survive in the market of the mammoth, Android OS.
Updated on September 18, 2020: Huawei Watch GT Pro 2 will be the first smartwatch from Huawei that will run the company’s HongMeng OS or the HarmonyOS. The device will be launched in China and will come with all sorts of latest design elements.
Huawei has been stuck in the middle of a trade war between the US and Google. In fact, Huawei is also banned from getting semiconductor for its devices. With all these hurdles in the way, Huawei came with its own operating system, called HarmonyOS. Though Huawei is yet to release a smartphone powered by the HarmonyOS, there is already a smart TV selling in China with this OS.
Basically, the company developed this HarmonyOS not only for smartphones but also for other devices like tablets, laptops, and other IoT products. In fact, the company is eyeing 2021 for the release of its first HarmonyOS powered smartphone. The main idea behind the development of HarmonyOS is to create an ecosystem, which Apple currently has. This will allow Huawei to completely shift from Google’s Android. And the new-gen HarmonyOS 2.0 is recently announced at the Huawei Developer Conference on September 11.
Besides, as per a Redditor, the company plans to release a range of devices powered by HarmonyOS. In this post, we will give you all the details related to HarmonyOS 2.0 release date, features, supported devices list, and more. With that being said, let us get straight into the article itself:
Table of Contents
HarmonyOS 2.0 – Release Date
As per the information available, Huawei will bring HarmonyOS 2.0 powered cars, smartwatches, computers, and other devices in 2021. Huawei has released the HarmonyOS 2.0 operating system on September 11 at the Huawei Developer Conference. However, in the roadmap, there is no mention of smartphones, but it has been confirmed by Yu Chengdong, CEO of Huawei’s consumer products division, that HarmonyOS powered smartphones will be coming in 2021.
In 2021, Huawei is planning to bring HarmonyOS powered smart speakers, headphones, VR glasses, and other devices. Moreover, other VR devices will be added to this list by 2022. Moreover, to help the developers to build apps based on HarmonyOS 2.0, Huawei has released the beta Harmony OS 2.0 SDK for watches, Smart TVs, and head units. The beta version of the developer tools for smartphones will be released in the month of December.
Features Of HarmonyOS 2.0
Well, Huawei has bundled the HarmonyOS 2.0 with a lot of features. In fact, more features will also be added in the future. As already mentioned, Huawei is looking to develop a similar ecosystem just like the Apple ecosystem. And the company is readily working towards it. Here are some of the features that we were able to pick from the Huawei Developer Conference 2020:
- The company will use the distributed virtual bus pool (Disturbeted Virtual Bus Pools) technology for more than 13,000 API access, HarmonyOS application framework, Huawei DevEco, and OpenArk compiler.
- HarmonyOS 2.0 will be optimized in such a way that devices will notice device acceleration and reduce data loss by 30%. Latency will be below 10ms, and HarmonyOS 2.0 will provide 2.4Gb/s speed for data transmission.
- Adaptive user interface is one of the key features announced during the conference. Meaning that the device powered by HarmonyOS 2.0 will be able to adjust the UI depending on the device.
- The company will be using AI audiovisual to improve the voice recognition system and provide better usability for the users.
- HarmonyOS 2.0 also aims to improve and enhance the security and communication between the devices will also become more secure.
- The company will also implement AI to develop a firewall that will be very difficult to gain access to.
- Huawei also claimed that HarmonyOS 2.0 will have faster remote read/write and search performance than Samba and iOS Spotlight, respectively. Notably, it will be 4 times faster than Samba and 1.2 times faster than iOS Spotlight.
- Multi-tasking and multi-screen functionality will be improved in HarmonyOS 2.0.
- With the available HarmonyOS 2.0 Beta SDK, developers can develop applications for 10 million devices. Thanks to the open-source nature of the OS.
- With video calling becoming the new norm during the pandemic, the company aims to provide access to meetings with QR code, multi-screen support, and instant note-taking features.
- Navigation features can be controlled using a HarmonyOS 2.0 powered smartwatch and other wearable devices. Meaning that you can book a ride via your phone and get notifications on your smartwatch.
Supported Devices List
Well, at the moment, all we know that HarmonyOS 2.0 is built to work across devices. Meaning that it could be used for smartwatches, tablets, laptops, smartphones, smart TVs, speakers, other IoT devices, and even cars. However, there is no actual list of devices mentioned by the company.
So, we will have to wait on that front. One thing is clear that the coming 2021 will be full of HarmonyOS 2.0 powered devices, as the company has already planned well ahead of the time as it wants to break the chains it has with Google’s Android OS and other trade bans currently in the US.
Keep checking this post as we will be constantly updating this post to provide you more details and information regarding HarmonyOS 2.0. For more such awesome coverage, you can head over to our check out our Windows Guides, Gaming Guides, Social Media Guides, iPhone, and Android Guides to read more. Make sure to subscribe to our YouTube Channel for awesome videos related to Android, iOS, and Gaming. Until the next post…Cheers!