Xiaomi Redmi S2 (codename: ysl) was launched in May 2018. The phone came out of the box with Android 8.1 Oreo, later upgraded to Android Pie. Finally, here is a big update. Now you can download and install Lineage OS 16 on Redmi S2. Before upgrading make sure to take a complete backup of data on your device or create a Nandroid backup using TWRP Recovery.
In order to install Lineage OS 16 on Redmi S2, your device should have Bootloader Unlocked and should be running on the latest TWRP Recovery. Thanks to one of the XDA Members mahajant99 for sharing the firmware file and installation steps. Follow our guide on how to upgrade, but before that. Let’s take a look at the features of Android 9.0 Pie and Lineage OS 16.
What’s on Android 9.0 Pie?
Android 9.0 Pie is the 9th iteration and a major update of Google’s Android OS. The new Android Pie brings a couple of design changes to the successor Android Oreo but the most notable one is the gesture-based navigation system. The top features of Android 9 Pie are New QS UI, New volume slider, Advanced Battery & Brightness, Notch Support, Digital Wellbeing, New Recent UI, and more.
Watch The Video about What’s on Android 9.0 Pie.
Lineage OS 16 Based on Android 9.0 Pie
Lineage OS 16 is the latest Custom Firmware based on Android 9 Pie AOSP which is one of the major and most stable versions by Google yet. It brings plenty of features and customization options which allows users to be more advanced. While the Stock ROM doesn’t provide you that much of customization options. LineageOS is the part of CyanogenOS which was popular and widely used by the users. The CyanogenOS developers working hard to provide better user experience with possible latest versions.
What's Working and What's not
What’s working :
- RIL (Calls, SMS, Data)
- IR camera
- Video Playback
- You tell me (None)
A quick disclaimer: Please don’t follow this guide if you don’t have an idea of what you are doing as you might end up messing up with your device. The GetDroidTips will not be responsible for any damage that may be caused to your device.
Steps to install Lineage OS 16 on Redmi S2
Follow this guide and download the TWRP recovery, drivers and things to start with.
- Supported: Xiaomi Redmi S2 (ysl)
- Charge your phone up to 80% or 70%.
- You need to Unlock the bootloader on your device.
- Download and Install TWRP Recovery on Redmi S2. [How to Install]
- We strongly recommend you to take a complete backup of your personal data, including the internal storage. The phone will be formatted, so be prepared for it. You can also follow our Android backup guide for the same. [Follow any method]
- How to Backup Your Android Phone Without ROOT
- How to Backup Complete Stock or Custom ROM using TWRP recovery
- Backup Your Android Apps and Data with Titanium Backup
- How to Backup Your Android Phone Directly to PC with TWRP!!
- How to Backup Your Data on Android device
- If you already have TWRP: then you can Create and Restore Nandroid Backup via TWRP
Instructions to Install:
- First of all, You need to enable the developer option and activate the OEM unlock and USB debugging.
- Now you need to unlock the bootloader on your Xiaomi Redmi S2.
- Once you have unlocked, you must install the latest TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Redmi S2.
- Now the guide will be easy, boot into TWRP Recovery
- You need to Decrypt and Re-Encrypt Data Partition on Xiaomi Redmi S2.
- You can now take a complete backup of your ROM using TWRP Recovery.
- Now you need Wipe System Data on TWRP Recovery
- Tap on Install option and look for the downloaded Lineage OS 16 zip file. [Guide to install Custom ROM using TWRP Recovery]
- Swipe to confirm the flashing.
- Now you need to install the Android Oreo Gapps file. (TWRP -> Install -> Select Gapps zip and swipe to flash)
- You can now reboot to enjoy Lineage OS 16 on Redmi S2 (ysl).
- If you want to root you can either try SuperSU root or you can try Magisk root.
That’s it! I hope you have installed the Lineage OS 16 on Redmi S2. Leave a comment or feedback down below. Thank you!.
Xiaomi Redmi S2 Specifications and Features
Xiaomi Redmi S2 smartphone is an Octa-core Snapdragon 855 SoC that has up to 8 GB RAM. This phone has a 6.39-inch AMOLED display and comes with a complete bezel-less finish. This has a screen resolution of 1080 x 2340 pixels. A 6 GB RAM and an Adreno 640 GPU that handles heavy multitasking games too. It is equipped with a 4000 mAh Li-Polymer battery that keeps the entertainment going on for long hours. There is a triple rear camera set up having a 48 MP main lens, 13 MP super wide-angle sensor and an 8 MP telephoto lens. This also has a 20 MP front camera for the selfie freaks. This camera of this phone can record full HD videos at 30 fps speed. The phone houses a 64 GB non-expandable storage. It also has a wide range of connectivity options that include, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth v5.0, NFC, USB Type-C, 4G with VoLTE, GPS and Mobile Hotspot.