Xiaomi Redmi 5 (rosy) launched in March 2018. The phone came out of the box with Android 8.0 Oreo and later upgraded to Android 9.0 Pie. Finally, here is the big update. Now you can download and install Lineage OS 16 on Xiaomi Redmi 5 (rosy). This ROM is built from Lineage OS 16 GSI which is specially for the Treble supported device. If you want to try, then take a complete backup of data on your device or create a Nandroid backup using TWRP Recovery.
To install Lineage OS 16 on Xiaomi Redmi 5 , your device should have Bootloader Unlocked and should be running on latest TWRP Recovery or you can flash via ADB Sideload method. If you have all this, then you are good to try the new Lineage OS 16 GSI on your device. Follow our guide on how to upgrade, but before that. Let's understand the features of Android 9.0 Pie and Lineage OS 16.
What's on Android 9.0 Pie?
As we said, Lineage OS 16 is based on the latest OS, Android 9.0 Pie. Android 9.0 Pie is the 9th iteration and a major update of Google's Android OS. The new Android Pie brings a couple of design changes to the successor Android Oreo but the most notable one is the gesture-based navigation system. Other features of Android 9 Pie are New Quick Settings UI design, Redesigned volume slider, Advanced Battery with AI Support, Notch Support, Improved Adaptive Brightness, Manual theme selection, Android Dashboard which Google calls Digital Wellbeing, and more other features.
Watch The Video about What's on Android 9.0 Pie.
Lineage OS 16 Based on Android 9.0 Pie
Lineage OS 16 is the latest Stock Custom Firmware based on the official Android 9.0 Pie AOSP source code. Along with the official Android 9.0 features, the Lineage OS 16 also brings tons of features and customization option which allows using your phone beyond the Stock Firmware feature. Lineage OS one of the well-known aftermarket firmware built by the team behind cyanogen. In the Android world, Lineage OS is the currently best custom ROM built with many new features.
- How to Install Lineage OS 14.1 On Xiaomi Redmi 5 (Android 7.1.2 Nougat)
- How To Root Install Official TWRP Recovery For Xiaomi Redmi 5/5 Plus (Magisk)
- List of Best Custom ROM for Xiaomi Redmi 5 [Rosy]
- How To Install Android 7.1.2 Nougat On Xiaomi Redmi 5
- Common Redmi 5 Problems and Fixes - Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Camera, SIM, and More
Steps to install Lineage OS 16 on Xiaomi Redmi 5
Follow this guide and download the TWRP recovery, drivers and things to start with.
- Supported Smartphone: Xiaomi Redmi 5 (Rosy)
- Charge the Xiaomi Redmi 5 to a sufficient battery level to avoid any sudden shutdowns during the process.
- We strongly recommend you to take a complete backup of your personal data, including the internal storage. The phone will be formatted, so be prepared for it. You can also follow our Android backup guide for the same. [Follow any method]
- How to Backup Your Android Phone Without ROOT
- How to Backup Complete Stock or Custom ROM using TWRP recovery
- Backup Your Android Apps and Data with Titanium Backup
- How to Backup Your Android Phone Directly to PC with TWRP!!
- How to Backup Your Data on Android device
- If you already have TWRP: then you can Create and Restore Nandroid Backup via TWRP
- You need a USB cable to connect your phone to PC.
Method 1: Install via TWRP Recovery
- First of all, make sure to download and move all the above required ROM packages on your Xiaomi Redmi 5 Internal storage.
- Now reboot your phone into TWRP Recovery and Swipe Allow Modifications (Appears for the first time only)
- Once you are in TWRP Recovery, first of all. Take a complete backup of stock or custom ROM using TWRP.
- Now wipe the cache, data, and system before flashing the Lineage OS 16 ROM on Xiaomi Redmi 5.
- To Wipe data: Go to Wipe ---> Advanced Wipe and select Dalvik/ART cache, cache, System, Vendor, and Data and then swipe to wipe.
- Now you can install the System image file in TWRP: Install -> Install Image -> select system.img
- That's it! Reboot and enjoy!
Method 2: Install via ADB Sideload
I hope this guide was helpful to install the Lineage OS 16 ROM on Xiaomi Redmi 5 (rosy) based on Project Treble GSI images.
If this method doesn't work, then go to the Lineage OS 16 ROM Phh-Treble thread in XDA and report your issue.