Today we will guide you on how to install the Lineage OS 17.1 on Xiaomi Redmi 8 (codenamed olive) device by following our guide. To install this, you need to unlock the bootloader and install the latest TWRP Recovery on your device. Xiaomi Redmi 8 (olive) smartphone was launched in October 2019. The phone came out of the box with Android 9.0 Pie.
Yes, now you can enjoy the new Lineage OS 17.1 based on Android 10, which is Google’s 10th version of Android OS with plenty of new features and system UI changes. Thanks to the developer J0SH1X for building this custom ROM for Redmi 8. According to the developer, the ROM is stable enough to use as a daily driver on Xiaomi Redmi 8 (olive).
Xiaomi Redmi 8 Device Overview
Xiaomi Redmi 8 features a 6.22 inches IPS LCD display with a screen resolution of 720 x 1520 pixels. The display is protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 5. The device is powered by Qualcomm SDM439 Snapdragon 439 12 nm Processor. The handset packs 64GB variant with 4GB of RAM. Xiaomi Redmi 8 sports a Dual rear camera with 12MP + 2MP camera and Selfie camera with 8MP depth camera. The smartphone is running on Android 9.0 Pie under MIUI 9 software package and backed by 5000 mAh battery. It has a fingerprint reader on the back.
What’s on the Android 10 version?
Google has officially unveiled the latest version of Android OS called Android 10. The update is already going live for Pixel series devices. It brings plenty of new features to the device system like system UI, new gesture navigation, improved privacy and location control. The update also offers enhanced app permissions, foldable display support, security features, system-wide dark mode, etc.
The Android 10 also offers built-in call screening, multi-camera API, smart replies in the notification panel, 5G support, improved call quality, bubble feature, live caption, and more. While the latest version also improves battery life, Focus mode which is similar to the Do Not Disturb mode, etc. Apart from that Android 10 also features 65 new emojis. It also comes with direct audio streaming support to hearing aid devices.
Lineage OS 17.1: Android 10 Build
Lineage OS is an open-source and free operating system that is based on the Android platform. It is the successor to the custom MOD, the CyanogenMod, which shut down its operation in December 2016. However, Cyanogen. Inc retained the rights to the custom MOD and gave a rebranding to it as Lineage OS.
Well, LineageOS 17 will be based on the latest Android 10 and it comes with all the Android 10 features and Lineage customization options which allows users to be more advanced. Now you can enjoy Lineage OS 17.1 on Redmi 8 (olive) by flashing this custom ROM.
Steps to Install Lineage OS 17.1 ROM on Redmi 8 (olive)
First, unlock the Xiaomi Redmi 8 bootloader and flash the latest TWRP Recovery. Here we have mentioned all the requirements and download links to flash the Lineage OS 17.1 on Xiaomi Redmi 8.
- This is Android 10 based Lineage OS 17.1 file and supported for Xiaomi Redmi 8 (olive) only.
- You will require to unlock the device bootloader at first.
- You need TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Redmi 8 (olive)
- Download the required TWRP file, LineageOS 17 zip file, and Supported GApps file from below.
- Keep your device battery charged up to 60% at least for a smoother process.
- Take a complete backup of your device data without Root. In case anything goes wrong, you can easily restore all the data.
Instructions to Install:
- Make sure that you have downloaded all the required files on your device.
- Now, copy the TWRP image file, GApps file, and ROM zip file to your device’s internal storage.
- Next, reboot your phone into recovery mode.
- You will boot into TWRP Recovery mode.
- To install the latest recovery: In the recovery menu, tap on Install button > Install zip > Select the TWRP Image file from the location where you have moved earlier.
- Swipe to confirm flash.
- Now, reboot to recovery mode again.
- In the TWRP menu, go to Wipe section.
- Make sure to clean the data and cache of the old ROM.
- Flash the ROM zip file from the Install option. Tap on Install -> look for the ROM zip file and flash it.
- The system will be mounted already Uncheck it & Remount system and vendor manually. Then flash Gapps zip file as well.
- Finally, reboot your phone into a new system. Wait for it, as the boot process will take a few minutes.
- That’s it. Enjoy!
We hope that this guide is helpful to you and you have successfully installed the Lineage OS 17.1 on your Xiaomi Redmi 8 (olive) handset easily. If in case anything goes wrong or if you have any queries, feel free to ask in the comments below.