Redmi 8A smartphone was launched on 25th September 2019. The phone comes with a 6.22-inch display, 2 GB RAM, 32 GB ROM, 5000mAh battery and more. It runs on Android 9.0 Pie out of the box. Today we will guide you on how to install the Lineage OS 17.1 on the Xiaomi Redmi 8A device by following our guide.
Lineage OS 17.1 GSI developed by XDA Recognized Contributor AndyYan on this XDA Forum with the Phh’s Source of Android 10 GSI (phhusson). To install this, you need to unlock the bootloader and install the latest TWRP Recovery on your device.
Well, GSI stands for Generic System image which is a “pure Android” implementation with unmodified Android Open Source Project (AOSP) code, runnable on a variety of Android devices that has treble support. Yes, now you can enjoy the new Lineage OS 17.1 based on Android 10, which is Google’s 10th version of Android OS with plenty of new features and system UI changes.
Xiaomi Redmi 8A Specifications:
Xiaomi Redmi 8A features a 6.2 inches IPS LCD display with a screen resolution of 720 x 1520 pixels. The display is protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 5. The device is powered by Qualcomm SDM439 Snapdragon 439 12 nm Processor. The handset packs 32GB variant with 2/3GB of RAM. Xiaomi Redmi 8A sports a Single rear camera with 12MP camera and Selfie camera with 8MP depth camera. The smartphone is running on Android 9.0 Pie under MIUI 10 software package and backed by 5000 mAh battery.
What’s on the Android 10 version?
Google has officially unveiled the latest version of Android OS called Android 10. The update is already going live for Pixel series devices. It brings plenty of new features to the device system like system UI, new gesture navigation, improved privacy and location control. The update also offers enhanced app permissions, foldable display support, security features, system-wide dark mode, etc.
The Android 10 also offers built-in call screening, multi-camera API, smart replies in the notification panel, 5G support, improved call quality, bubble feature, live caption, and more. While the latest version also improves battery life, Focus mode which is similar to the Do Not Disturb mode, etc. Apart from that Android 10 also features 65 new emojis. It also comes with direct audio streaming support to hearing aid devices.
Lineage OS 17.1: Android 10 Build
Lineage OS is an open-source and free operating system that is based on the Android platform. It is the successor to the custom MOD, the CyanogenMod, which shut down its operation in December 2016. However, Cyanogen. Inc retained the rights to the custom MOD and gave a rebranding to it as Lineage OS.
Well, LineageOS 17 will be based on the latest Android 10 and it comes with all the Android 10 features and Lineage customization options which allows users to be more advanced. Now you can enjoy Lineage OS 17.1 on Xiaomi Redmi 8A by flashing this custom ROM.
Steps to Install Lineage OS 17.1 ROM on Xiaomi Redmi 8A
First, unlock the Xiaomi Redmi 8A bootloader and flash the latest TWRP Recovery. Here we have mentioned all the requirements and download links to flash the Lineage OS 17.1 on Xiaomi Redmi 8A.
We’re at GetDroidTips won’t be responsible for any kind of damage or error that occurs to your handset while or after following this guide. This is a Custom ROM and may contain some of the bugs or stability issues. We can’t recommend you to use this firmware as your daily driver. Proceed at your own risk.
- Lineage OS 17.1 GSI Treble build is supported on Xiaomi Redmi 8A.
- You will require to unlock the device bootloader at first
- Download and Install TWRP Recovery on Redmi 8A
- ARM, ARM64, or x86: Check your Android Phone’s Processor
- Treble Support: Check If Your Smartphone Supports Project Treble
- Download the required TWRP file, LineageOS 17 zip file, and Supported GApps file from below.
- Keep your device battery charged up to 60% at least for a smoother process.
- Take a complete backup of your device data without Root. In case anything goes wrong, you can easily restore all the data.
A only arm64 – arm64 avN
A/B arm64 – arm64 bvN
A/B arm32 – arm bvN
Instructions to Install:
- You need to unlock bootloader and install TWRP Recovery on your device
- Now open the extracted ADB Fastboot folder and open the command window or PowerShell
- Disable the avb by reflashing vbmeta using command
fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
- Boot into TWRP and type the command
adb shellthen “
mount -o rw /dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/vendor /vendor” (if your touch works in TWRP you can just hit mount and vendor)
- Now push the edited fstab file “adb push fstab.qcom /vendor/etc/”
- You can now flash the LineageOS 17.1 GSI,
fastboot flash system pathtogsisystemimghere
- Wipe the data to remove the encryption “fastboot -w” (if touch in TWRP works, just hit the Wipe Format Data menu and type yes to confirm)
- You have to flash the kernel by using the command
fastboot flash boot BOOT_GSI.img
- Reboot your device or enter the command
- After the first boot is done, enable adb
- Type “
adb root” then “
adb remount” then “
adb push pathtotheoverlayapkilinked /system/overlay/” then “
- Once the reboot is been completed, enjoy LineageOS 17.1.
We hope that this guide is helpful to you and you have successfully installed the Lineage OS 17.1 on your Xiaomi Redmi 8A handset easily. If in case anything goes wrong or if you have any queries, feel free to ask in the comments below.