Updated on September 14, 2021: Today Xiaomi rolled the MIUI 12.5 Global update for the Mi 9 SE with software version V22.214.171.124.RFBMIXM.
Today Xiaomi rolled the April 2020 security patch to the Mi 9 SE (Codename: grus) globally with version V126.96.36.199.QFBMIXM. The update also fixes the display issues found in the earlier version. If you are using the Mi 9 SE, you can manually download and install MIUI 188.8.131.52 Global Stable ROM on Mi 9 SE.
As we speak, the update has already started rolling over the air for users globally in a phased manner. It may take days or weeks to reach every device around the corner. In case, if you are not patient enough to wait, then follow this guide to install the update on your Mi 9 SE (grus).
Manually Check OTA Updates
Before moving to the guide, we recommend you to first check if the OTA is already available for your device manually. To do that, go to the phone Settings > About Phone > Software update. Additionally, you can perform this task via the Software Updater app directly. If the software version is available, you can grab it.
Before downloading the OTA update, make sure to charge the phone battery up to 50% minimum and connect to a Wi-Fi network.
However, if you’re not getting the latest OTA update due to some unfortunate reason, don’t worry. You can follow the firmware installation guide below for your Xiaomi Mi 9 SE model.
Downloads and Changelog
- New: With custom device model adjustments, any phone becomes faster after the upgrade.
- New: Response to gestures is now instant.
- New: With 20 times more rendering power, there are now few limits to what you can see on your screen.
- Optimization: MIUI became lighter, faster, and more durable.
- New: Press and hold a sketch to adjust the strokes automatically.
- New: A gesture shortcut now allows you to create notes, tasks, and excerpts anywhere.
- New: Excerpts save text, URLs, and images to Notes in a few simple taps.
- New: Dynamic layouts bring the typography in Notes to a new level.
- New: Compose mind maps with complex structures.
- New: New tools for doodling and sketching.
- All-new Notes.
- Xiaomi Cloud
- New: Location info can be now reported automatically before the device is powered off
- Updated Android Security Patch to March 2021. Increased system security
- Updated Android Security Patch to September 2020. Increased system security
- System animations
- New: All-new physically based animation engine with advanced architecture will refresh your device’s look.
- New: Dynamic window technology takes switching screen orientation to a new level.
- System visuals
- Brand new visual design works for all types of content and languages.
- Magazine-level layouts bring important things into the spotlight and make content structure clear.
- Privacy protection
- New: MIUI 12 is the first Android-based mobile OS that went through the rigorous enhanced privacy protection testing.
- New: Use secure sharing to control what additional data is sent along with shared items.
- Control center
- New: Swipe down from the upper right corner of your screen to open Control center.
- New: Animated icons are a joy to look at!
- New: You can hide private items while casting and minimize the window to multitask.
- Always-on display
- Fix: Lock screen items were shown on the Always-on display
- Lock screen
- Fix: Fingerprint unlock didn’t work on Always-on display in some cases
- Removed: Lock screen and Always-on display issues in Second space
- Home screen
- New: App drawer allows you to keep your Home screen neat and categorizes apps so you can find them faster.
- New: New Pro mode features and descriptions
- Optimization: Pro mode parameter naming
- New: New animations bring the weather from outside directly to your screen.
- New: Lite mode simplifies your device and brings essential features up front.
- New: You can create folders with notes now.
- New: New dynamic backgrounds look gorgeous!
- New: Tasks are completed with a satisfying animation now.
- New: Checklists of subtasks make managing your agenda much simpler.
- New: New animations feel natural and refreshing.
- New: Binging your favorite shows will be more convenient with our new video toolbox
- Updated Android Security Patch to May 2020. Increased system security
- Updated Android Security Patch to April 2020. Increased system security.
How to Install MIUI Global Stable ROM for Mi 9 SE (grus)
Installing the stock ROM or upgrading the MIUI version on Xiaomi devices is comparatively easy. But you should follow all the pre-requirements and downloads below before proceeding.
- Supported for: Xiaomi Mi 9 SE (grus) only. The device should be running on stock ROM to apply the update.
- Requires: A PC/Laptop and a USB cable.
- Backup: Take a full Backup of Phone Data at first to keep the important files safe.
- Charge: Keep your device charged more than 50%.
- Mi Flash Tool – Download and Install it on your PC
- Download ADB and Fastboot Tools on your computer
- Download Xiaomi USB Drivers and install them on the PC
We recommend to take a full backup first. GetDroidTips will not be held responsible for any type of issue on your device while or after following this guide or even flashing any file. So, proceed at your own risk.
Instructions to Install:
We assume that you’ve followed the downloads and requirements properly. Now, you can proceed to install MIUI Global Stable ROM on Mi 9 SE. Check out the guide link below along with a video tutorial as well.
Guide to Install MIUI ROM on Xiaomi Device [Recovery/Fastboot]
You can check out our full-depth tutorial video as well:
Video Guide on Steps to Flash Xiaomi Device using Fastboot Method
We hope that you’ve updated or installed the latest MIUI version on your Mi 9 SE (grus) successfully. Feel free to ask in the comments below for any queries.