Updated on August 17, 2020: Xiaomi Mi Max 3 received the latest MIUI 12 with software version V18.104.22.168.QEDCNXM in China. The update brings all-new features such as new improved UI, new animation, super wallpapers, improved dark mode, and many more.
Updated on May 16, 2020: Today in China started rolling MIUI 22.214.171.124 China Stable ROM for Mi Max 3 (codenamed nitrogen) with software version V126.96.36.199.QEDCNXM. The update is rolling via OTA (Over the air) for users in China which are based on Android 10. You can download and install the update manually.
This new update brings no major changes except the latest April 2020 Android Security Patch, app locks now support all apps, revamped the start page and optimized some of its features. As mentioned, the firmware update bumps up a new software version V188.8.131.52.QEDCNXM is rolling out via OTA in a gradual manner. Therefore, the OTA update may take some time to arrive on all the units completely. However, you can software updates manually.
Check OTA Updates
If you’re not receiving the firmware OTA update on your handset, you can manually check the OTA update via the phone Settings > About Phone > Software Update. If any software update is available, just download and install it.
Alternatively, you can go to the Software Updater app on your Xiaomi device to check the OTA update. Make sure that your handset is charged more than 60% and connected to a Wi-Fi network.
- System animations
- New: All-new physically based animation engine with advanced architecture will refresh your device’s look.
- New: Dynamic window technology takes switching screen orientation to a new level.
[su_spoiler title=”Full Changelog:”]
- System visuals
- Brand new visual design works for all types of content and languages.
- Magazine-level layouts bring important things into the spotlight and make content structure clear.
- Privacy protection
- New: MIUI 12 is the first Android-based mobile OS that went through the rigorous enhanced privacy protection testing.
- New: Reset your device ID and control how it’s used based on virtual ID technology.
- New: Grant permissions that will be used only while you’re using an app.
- New: You can also grant permissions just once, and decide again next time a permission is required.
- New: Restrict access to telephony to third party apps.
- New: Return blank messages to the apps that require personal information.
- New: Receive notifications whenever apps record audio, use camera, or access your location.
- New: Use secure sharing to control what additional data is sent along with shared items.
- New: Get comprehensive stats on how apps use permissions in app behavior history.
- New: Visit privacy.miui.com to learn how MIUI protects your privacy.
- Optimization: Apps aren’t allowed to launch other apps in the background now.
- Floating windows
- New: Pull down a notification sent by a messenger app to turn it into a floating window.
- New: Floating windows keep apps running in the foreground even when you pause to do other things.
- New: You can minimize a floating window using a full screen gesture.
- New: You can open an app in a floating window directly from Recents.
- Optimization: Press and hold an app preview in Recents to choose between Split screen and floating windows.
- AI Call Assistant
- New: Mi AI can answer your calls now!
- New: You can record a customized greeting that will be played to the other person during AI calls.
- New: Customized greetings are also supported for outgoing calls.
- Xiaomi Health
- New: All-new Xiaomi Health gives you more options and makes your health stats more accurate.
- New: Put your device next to you before falling asleep to analyze your sleep cycle and record talking and snoring.
- New: You can sync data with supported wearable and smart home devices.
- New: Xiaomi Health can remind you to stand up and move when it detects that you’ve been sitting down for too long.
- New: The app also analyzes your stats and gives you simple health advice.
- Control center
- New: Swipe down from the upper right corner of your screen to open Control center.
- New: Animated icons are a joy to look at!
- New: Mi Ditto combines dictation and speech output, making mobile devices more convenient for people who have difficulties using conventionally designed smartphones.
- Dark mode
- New: Dark mode support is also provided for third party apps now.
- New: Contrast is lowered automatically in low light conditions to protect your eyes.
- New: Font weight is adjusted to Dark mode as well, reducing blur and glare.
- New: Wallpapers can be displayed in darker palette when your device switches to Dark mode.
- New: Traffic and suggested routes to airports and train stations.
- New: You can track your previous trips now.
- New: Checklists for trips.
- New: Alarms for train arrivals.
- Mi Carrier Services
- New: View your SIM balance and mobile data usage stats.
- New: Save frequently used phone numbers to top up balance and buy mobile data later.
- New: Buy SIM cards and services.
- Updated Android Security Patch to July 2020. Increased system security.
- New: Promotional messages are grouped according to their content now.
- Status bar, Notification shade
- Home screen
- New: Animated Home screen icons are neat and satisfying.
- New: We’ve added a new animation for uninstalling apps.
- New: Gravitational animations make returning to Home screen look seamless and natural.
- Screen Time
- New: Dashboard with the stats that cover 4 weeks is available now.
- Optimization: New design makes your Screen time stats more comprehensible.
- New: New animations bring the weather from outside directly to your screen.
- New: Security introduces new comprehensive privacy protection mechanisms.
- New: Lite mode simplifies your device and brings essential features up front.
- New: New full screen gestures for switching between apps are available.
- File Manager
- New: Use the floating shortcut to filter and sort items, as well as switch view.
- New: New layout tailored for landscape orientation is available now.
- New: We added lots of fresh animations that will accompany your actions.
- New: Calendar cards will remind you about important events and anniversaries.
- New: You can create folders with notes now.
- New: New dynamic backgrounds look gorgeous!
- New: Tasks are completed with a satisfying animation now.
- New: Checklists of subtasks make managing your agenda much simpler.
- New: New animations feel natural and refreshing.
- New: Keep your home safe with smart home device alerts.
- New: Binging your favorite shows will be more convenient with our new video toolbox.
- Xiaomi Cloud
- New: Shared family storage plan is available now.
- Some features might not be available on this device. Visit www.miui.com to learn more about MIUI 12
- Installing the new Android Q might make this update a bit longer than usual
- Updated Android Security Patch to April 2020. Increased system security.
- Data usage
- Fix: Data usage warning appeared multiple times
Steps to Install MIUI 12 China Stable ROM on Mi Max 3 (nitrogen)
We’ve shared two flashing methods to flash the stock firmware on your Xiaomi devices such as the Recovery method or Fastboot method. Check out the guide below. Make sure to follow the requirements and download links.
GetDroidTips won’t be held liable for any kind of error that may occur to your phone by following this guide or flashing any file. Take a full backup before doing anything and proceed at your own risk.
- The ROM supported for Xiaomi Mi Max 3 (nitrogen) only. Don’t try it on other models.
- Charge your phone battery up to 60% minimum.
- Take a complete backup of internal data (No Root).
- You will need a PC/Laptop and a USB cable.
- Download and Install all the following tools and drivers on your computer.
- Xiaomi USB Drivers – Download and Install it on your PC/Laptop.
- Xiaomi Mi Flash tool – Download and Install it on the computer. (for Fastboot Method)
Now, after following all the requirements and downloading the files or tools, you’re ready to install the firmware.
Steps to Install MIUI ROM on Xiaomi Device [Recovery/Fastboot]
You can check out our full-depth tutorial video as well:
Video Guide on Steps to Flash Xiaomi Device using Fastboot Method
That’s it, guys. We hope that you’ve found this guide helpful and you’ve installed or updated the latest MIUI firmware on your Mi Max 3 successfully. For any queries, let us know in the comments below.