A new reborn of the Mortal Kombat universe called ‘Mortal Kombat 1‘ is a sequel to MK11 that brings a new fighting system, multiple game modes, and increased fatalities. NetherRealm Studios and Warner Bros. Games has done a tremendous job with this title which includes action fighting theme in the form of martial arts. Mortal Kombat fans were eagerly waiting for this version and have been impressed a lot. However, it seems that there are some bugs or issues present at the moment and Mortal Kombat 1 (MK1) Stuck on Checking for Updates is one of them.
We should mention that the Mortal Kombat 1 game receives patch updates from the developers but somehow ‘checking for updates’ error becomes frustrating in a short period of time. Affected players get stuck at the specific error screen and the game basically refuses to start whatsoever while starting. Now, you may ask why this happens. Well, there is no specific reason found yet but it mostly happens on the PlayStation 5 consoles. Now, if you’re also facing the same issue then don’t worry.
- Fix: Mortal Kombat 1 (MK1) Stuck on Checking for Updates
Fix: Mortal Kombat 1 (MK1) Stuck on Checking for Updates
Fortunately, here we’ve provided you with a couple of workarounds that should come in handy. Make sure to follow all troubleshooting methods until the problem has been fixed. So, without wasting any more time, let’s jump into it.
1. Power Cycle the PS5 Console
First of all, you can try performing the power cycle method on your PlayStation 5 console by following the steps below to refresh the system glitch which might be troubling you temporarily. It mostly works like a charm and fixes multiple issues with the game launching or performance in a jiffy.
- Press and hold the Power button on your PlayStation 5 console until you hear two beep sounds.
- Then unplug the power cord from the console > Wait for around 10 seconds.
- Now, plug back the power cord to the console again.
- Finally, restart the PlayStation 5 console to check if the problem persists or not.
2. Check for Mortal Kombat 1 Updates
It’s always recommended to check for the MK1 game update on your PS5 console by following the steps below. An outdated game patch version might trigger several issues with the game launching or server connectivity in most cases.
- Turn On your PS5 console > Go to the Home screen.
- Now, navigate to the main menu on top.
- Head over to the Games tab.
- Select Mortal Kombat 1 to highlight it.
- Press the Options button on your controller.
- Finally, choose Check for Update from the drop-down menu.
3. Check Your Internet Connection
You can also check the internet connection at your end whether it’s working fine or not. A slow or unstable network connectivity can trigger several issues with the matchmaking or server connectivity. In some cases, too many devices are connected to the same network which can also reduce the data speed. If you’re using Wi-Fi, try using an ethernet connection for better stability. Otherwise, try using a different connection instead.
4. Update the System Software
You can check for the software updates on PS5 by following the steps below to ensure there is no issue with the outdated software glitch. New software updates always come with improvements and stability.
- Go to Settings > Choose System.
- Select System Software > Select System Software Update and Settings.
- If a new version is available, select Update Available.
- Select Update System Software to install the update.
5. Reset the Wi-Fi Router
Another thing you should do is reset the Wi-Fi router manually to restore the network settings to the factory default. It might help in fixing internet connectivity issues with the game servers. To do so:
- Ensure the Wi-Fi router is turned on.
- Now, locate the physical reset button on the router.
- Press the hold the reset button for around 10 seconds to start blinking all LED indicators.
- Wait for a couple of minutes and then log into the admin dashboard.
- Set the Wi-Fi password and you’re good to go.
6. Reinsert the Physical Game Disc
You should also try removing and reinserting the physical game disc from the PS5 console (if it’s a disc edition) and then relaunching the Mortal Kombat 1 game to check for the issue. Several players did find this trick helpful.
7. Check the PS Network Status
According to PlayStation Support, this service may be undergoing maintenance. So, checking the server status will ensure whether there is an issue with the server or not. Make sure to visit the official PlayStation Network Service Status page to check for the issue. If there is a server issue then simply wait for a couple of hours and then check for the error again. But if there is no server failure or maintenance undergoing then you can follow the next methods.
8. Clear the Cache Data
The chances are high that even after following all the above methods, you’re going through some issues on the PS5 console. It’s better to clear the game cache data on your console to avoid any kind of game launching or server connectivity errors whatsoever.
- Go to Settings > Select Application Saved Data Management.
- Choose System Storage / Online Storage / USB Storage.
- Select Delete > Select the Mortal Kombat 1 game.
- Choose Select All.
- Select Delete > Select OK to confirm the task.
- Once done, reboot your console to check for the issue again.
9. Reinstall the Game
Last but not least, make sure to uninstall and reinstall the Mortal Kombat 1 game on your PS5 console by following the steps below. This method will help in fixing game installation-related issues. Though reinstalling the game isn’t a good idea for everyone, there is nothing to do at your end if you don’t want to wait weeks or months for patch updates.
To uninstall the game:
- Go to your Game Library on the PS5 console.
- Make sure you’re on the Installed tab.
- Locate the Mortal Kombat 1 game that you want to delete.
- Now, press the Options button on your controller.
- Then hit Delete > Wait for the uninstallation process.
- Finally, reboot the console, and reinstall the game via PS Store.
To reinstall the game:
- Simply head over to the Game Library > Go to Your Collection.
- Find the Mortal Kombat 1 game.
- Press the Options button on your controller.
- Select Download > The game will automatically start downloading.
- Wait for it to install and you’re good to go.
That’s it, guys. We assume this guide was helpful to you. For further queries, you can comment below.