Notepad++ is one of the best open-source text editors available today. However, a lot of Windows 10 users have reportedly claimed that they were unable to install any Plugins on their Notepad++ installation. Users end up getting various error messages; however, the most common one amongst them is the “Installation Error: Installation of Compare failed.”
How to Fix Notepad++ Plugins Failing to Install on Windows 10?
Now there could be several possible reasons causing the same, including missing admin privileges, if the required transport layer security is disabled, in case you are using the outdated version of Notepad++, or when the Plugin Manager plugin is busted. However, with that, there are several fixes available as well. Have a look down below for more details.
FIX 1: Run Notepad++ as Administrator:
One of the prime reasons that lead to the “Notepad++ Plugins Failing to Install on Windows 10” issue is when Notepad++ lacks permission to manage the installation of new plugins. Notepad++ requires admin access for performing the tasks that include modifying the original installation. If your Notepad++ application has not received admin access, you might experience this issue occurring time after time.
In such cases, the best solution is to force OS to open Notepad++ with admin access and then further modify future launches of the app to open with admin access. For doing so, follow the steps given below:
- Navigate to the Notepad++ shortcut on your desktop screen, right-click over it and select the option Run as administrator from the context menu. Here if you receive the UAC (User Account Control), click on Yes.
- Now, as you have launched Notepad++ with administrator access, install the plugins once again, and you might not see the said error anymore.
FIX 2: Install the Plugin via Plugin Manager:
When users trying to install plugins manually or using an external module, the “Notepad++ Plugins Failing to Install” error will appear on the screen. This might cause problems on older Notepad++ installations, particularly on Windows 10 which have strict security protocols. However, this scenario can be resolved if you install the plugins by using the Plugin Manager.
NOTE: This method is only applicable while the user is using the latest version of Notepad++ and have no remnant files that might be interfering with the operation. Though if not, we recommend you to use fix 3 before this fix.
- Firstly, launch Notepad++, navigate to the top horizontal menu, click on Plugins and then select Plugins Admin from the sub-menu.
- Now inside the Plugins Admin window, click on Available (from the horizontal menu) and then navigate to the Search bar in order to locate the Plugin you wanted to install.
- Once you find all the plugins, tick the checkboxes associated with them and then click on Install.
- Now on the next confirmation prompt, click on Yes and then let Notepad++ restart. The plugins will get installed in the meantime.
- Here if asked by the UAC (User Account Control), click on Yes and let the operations complete.
FIX 3: Enable TLS 1.0, TLS 1.1, and TLS 1.2:
While you fail to install the plugins even after using the Plugin Manager of Notepad++, then it is because a Transport Layer Security (TLS) technology is not available on your computer. But it is required by Notepad++ plugins. For enabling every transport layer security, follow the steps given below:
- Firstly, launch the RUN dialogue box by pressing Windows + R altogether.
- Now inside the empty text field, type control, click on OK, and it will launch the Control Panel interface. If prompted by UAC (User Account Control), click on Yes.
- On the Control Panel window, navigate to the search bar, type internet options and click on Internet Options from the search results.
- Now on the Internet properties prompt, navigate to the Advanced menu from the horizontal bar, and further under the Settings section, scroll down the list of options until you reach the Security category.
- Now inside the Security section, make sure that all the checkboxes related to Use TLS 1.0, Use TLS 1.1, and Use TLS 1.2 are ticked; if not, then tick those boxes and then click on Apply.
Thereafter, launch the Notepad++ and again try to install the plugins.
Fix 4: Install the latest version of Notepad++
At times when the older version of Notepad++ is not compatible with the latest security updates on Windows 10, the user might find it impossible to install the plugins. However, as per a lot of suffered users, the said issue got resolved for them when they installed the latest version of Notepad++. For doing so, follow the steps given below:
Note: As per users’ suggestion, uninstall the current Notepad++ version and then remove any remnant files before installing the latest version of Notepad++.
- Firstly, launch the RUN dialogue box by pressing Windows + R altogether.
- Now inside the empty text field, type appwiz.cpl and then click on OK. It will launch the Programs and Features window. If prompted by UAC (User Account Control), click on Yes.
- Now inside the Program and Features window, scroll down the list of installed applications and locate Notepad++. Click on it and then select Uninstall.
- Now navigate to File Manager and then to C:\Program Files\Notepad++. Further, remove any remnant files leftover from the old installation of Notepad++ and then restart your computer.
- Once your system restarts, launch your browser and then go to the official download page of Notepad++.
- Now click on the download button near to the latest version of Notepad++ and when the installation executable is successfully downloaded, right-click over it to select Run as Administrator.
- Now follow the on-screen instruction in order to complete the installation process and then restart your system.
- Finally, launch the recently installed version of Notepad++ and try to install the plugins. The said error might not exist now.
Fix 5: Install the Notepad++ Plugin Manually:
The last solution you can try is to install the Plugins manually (those which were failing). Then paste them into the right location, and then finally import them into the main Notepad++ application. For doing so, follow the steps given below:
- Before you begin, make sure Notepad++ is closed and is not even running in the background.
- Now launch a browser and navigate to the download page of Notepad++ Plugins. Here click on the Download button and begin the process.
- Once the downloading process gets completed, extract the contents of the archive you’ve just downloaded to C:\Program Files\Notepad++\plugins.
- Now launch Notepad++, click on Settings from the horizontal menu, and then select Import > Import Plugins. Further, pick from the list of plugins the ones you want to sideload.
- After that, Notepad++ might display a restart message; if yes, restart, and then you will see the new plugin inside the app.
Plugins in Notepad++ are definitely effective and helpful for users, and if they fail to install the same, the situation can become really annoying. However, after using any of the fixes from the list mentioned above, one can swiftly resolve the “Notepad++ Plugins Failing to Install on Windows 10” and install the Plugins again.
At the end of this article, we hope that you will find all the information mentioned here as helpful and relevant. If you have any queries or feedback, please write down the comment in the below comment box.