In this guide, we will show you how to fix the Realtek HD Audio Manager not opening issue. Most Windows PC comes with the Realtek audio drivers pre-installed. Then there’s also a standalone app for this driver that allows you to take full control of your device’s audio. From tweaking various sound settings to making changes to the audio profiles, this software has a lot of baked-in features. However, not everyone is able to make full use of this software.
Many users are reportedly not being able to access this audio manager. For some, the app’s executable file is missing altogether. As far as the reason for these issues is concerned, using old drivers seems to be the major culprit. Along with that, issues with the Audio Codecs Software or the corrupt app-data could also throw in this error. With that said, this guide will list out all potential fixes for these issues which in turn will fix the Realtek HD Audio Manager not opening issue as well.
Fix: Realtek HD Audio Manager Won’t Open Or Not Working
There isn’t any universal fix for the aforementioned issue. You will have to try out all the below-mentioned workarounds until the issue gets rectified. So with that said, let’s get on with the guide.
Fix 1: Automatic Update Audio Drivers
Using old or outdated graphics drivers has been the major root cause of this issue. In that case, you should always keep your drivers updated to the latest version. There are two different approaches to the same: automatic and manual. This section will discuss the automatic updating of drivers.
- So use the Windows+R shortcut keys to launch the Run dialog box.
- Type in devmgmt.msc and hit Enter. This will launch the Device Manager.
- Now go to the Sound, video, and game controllers.
- Right-click on your Realtek drivers and select Update Drivers.
- Then select Search automatically for updated graphics drivers.
- Windows will then search for the latest drivers and install them.
- Once the installation is complete, restart your PC. Check if it fixes the Realtek HD Audio Manager not opening issue.
Fix 2: Manually Update Drivers
If you weren’t able to update the drivers via the automatic route, then you could do the same manually as well. Here are the required instructions for the same:
- To begin with, download the latest version of the Realtek drivers from the Microsoft Update Catalog
- Extract the file and you should get the drivers in the CAB format.
- Now right-click on the Start menu and select Device Manager.
- Head over to the Sound, video, and game controllers.
- Then Right-click on your Realtek drivers and select Update Drivers.
- Now chose the ‘Browse my Computer for Driver software’ option.
- Then click on the Browse button, navigate the downloaded drivers, and select it.
- Click Next and follow the onscreen instructions to install the drivers.
Once installed, see if the Realtek HD Audio Manager not opening issue has been fixed or not.
Fix 3: Fix Missing Realtek HD Audio Manager
Some users have reported that they aren’t able to access the Audio Manager although it is showing in the list of installed apps. If that’s happening with you as well, then you could manually access the installation directory and then create a shortcut of the software EXE file. Here’s how:
- Launch Run from the Start menu
- Then type in the below location and hit Enter:
- This should take you to the directory where the audio manager is installed.
- So right-click on its EXE file and select Create a shortcut (Desktop).
Once done, you could then easily access the Realtek HD Audio Manager and it should fix the not opening issue as well. If not, then here are some other tweaks to try out.
Fix 4: Use Windows Troubleshooter
Windows comes with a troubleshooter that scans for all the underlying issues and list out their associated fixes as well. As far as this guide is concerned, we will be using the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter. Proceed with the below instructions:
- Bring up the Settings page via Windows+I shortcut keys and go to Update and Security.
- Within that, go to the Troubleshoot option from the left menu bar.
- Select Hardware and Devices and then click on Advanced in the dialog box that appears.
- Tick mark the Apply repairs automatically option and click Next.
Wait for the troubleshooting to complete. Once done, apply the mentioned fixes and then restart the PC for the changes to reflect. See if it fixes the Realtek HD Audio Manager not opening issue.
Fix 5: Install High Definition Audio Codecs (Software)
If the Audio Manager data has been corrupted or in case the audio configurations have been misconfigured, then the safest bet is to install the Realtek High Definition Audio Codecs (Software). So head over to the Realtek website and download the latest build of the High Definition Audio Codecs Software. Once downloaded, launch the setup and proceed with the on-screen instructions to install the codec. Then reboot your PC and see if the Realtek HD Audio Manager not opening issue gets fixed or not.
Fix 6: Reinstall Drivers
In case both the automatic and manual updating of drivers didn’t manage to give out desirable results, then you would probably have to reinstall the Realtek audio drivers.
- To do so, right-click on the Start menu and select Device Manager.
- Within that, go to the Sound, video, and game controllers.
- Then right-click on your Realtek drivers and select Uninstall Device.
- Proceed with the onscreen instructions to remove these drivers from your PC.
- Once done, reboot your PC and then go to Device Manager.
- Right-click on your PC name and select Scan for hardware changes.
- Windows will then reinstall the missing audio drivers on your PC and install them. However, if that doesn’t happen, you may manually install them using the instructions given in the second fix.
With this, we conclude the guide on how to fix the Realtek HD Audio Manager not opening issue. We have shared six different methods for the same. Do let us know which one managed to spell out success in your case. Rounding off, here are some iPhone Tips and Tricks, PC tips and tricks, and Android Tips and Tricks that deserve your attention as well.