If you have been a regular Windows 10 user, you might have heard of or even came across the Blue Screen of Death errors. However, have you ever heard of the Red Screen of Death or RSoD? Red Screen of Death error appears in a few of the beta versions of Windows Vista along with gaming consoles, for example, the PlayStation series. The error is also known to appear in the early builds of Windows 98.
- All Fixes for the “Red Screen of Death”
- FIX 1: Remove the overclocking settings:
- FIX 2: Update your BIOS/UEFI:
- FIX 3: Use a repair tool:
- FIX 4: Update your graphic card driver:
- FIX 5: Remove recently installed software:
- FIX 6: Reinstall AMD drivers without Catalyst Control Center:
- FIX 7: Recover the atikmdag.sys file:
- FIX 8: Change the settings.ini file:
- FIX 9: Underclock your graphic card:
- FIX 10: Check for hardware malfunctions:
All Fixes for the “Red Screen of Death”
Commonly the RSoD error appears due to hardware error like in situations when your computer is overclocked. Or sometimes, the incompatible drivers or BIOS issues can also lead to the Red Screen of Death. For learning more about it and exploring the fixes, consider going through the article below. Have a look:
FIX 1: Remove the overclocking settings:
Users often overclock their settings for attaining the best performance out of their hardware. It definitely increases the performance, though it also increases the heat production of your CPU and GPU. Further, due to the increased heat, CPU or GPU might become unstable, or if you aren’t that careful, it can also lead to permanent hardware damage.
Considering the scenario, if you have overclocked your settings, then it is time to remove them. Also, if you are getting the Red Screen of Death, then remove all the overclocking settings. For doing the same, you would have to enter the BIOS settings and complete the process.
FIX 2: Update your BIOS/UEFI:
BIOS/ UEFI, at times, can lead to the Red Screen of Death. Here the best solution is to update your BIOS/UEFI and check whether it helps or not. For doing so,
- Firstly, navigate to your motherboard manufacturer’s website and there download the latest version.
- The website will have entire instructions for the process; thus, make sure you read them below before going ahead. It will help you in avoiding unnecessary damage.
FIX 3: Use a repair tool:
The easiest and fastest method to resolve the Red Screen of Death is via using a repair tool. There are several such repair tools available online that will simply replace any elements that are responsible for triggering the said error.
FIX 4: Update your graphic card driver:
As per a few suffered users, while they update their Graphic card driver, the Red Screen of Death error got resolved for them. You can also try the same by following the step given below:
- Firstly, go to the Windows icon on your desktop screen, right-click over it and select the option Device Manager.
- Now inside the Device Manager window, expand Display adapters, right-click on your Graphic card driver and then select the option Update Driver.
- Follow the instructions on the screen and complete the process.
If not this way, you can also use a driver updating tool and get the process done within no time.
Or you can even reinstall the Graphic card driver by simply clicking on Uninstall device instead of the Update Driver option. After that, restart your computer, and Windows will automatically install the missing driver into your computer.
FIX 5: Remove recently installed software:
If the Red Screen of Death error has been appearing in your computer after you have recently installed any new software, then we recommend you remove them and check for improvement. For doing so, follow the steps given below:
- Firstly, launch the Settings App by pressing Windows + I altogether.
- Now navigate to Apps -> App & Features.
- Further on the right-pane menu, from the list of applications/ software, click the Uninstall button for the recently installed software.
If this alone does not help, then we recommend you to use a dedicated software uninstalling tool, which will also help you in removing files associated with the software without leaving any traces behind.
FIX 6: Reinstall AMD drivers without Catalyst Control Center:
Try reinstalling the AMD drivers without Catalyst Control Center and check whether it helps or not. For doing so, follow the steps given below:
- Firstly, remove your currently installed graphic card driver.
- Now begin with downloading the latest AMD drivers.
- Further, run the setup and extract files to a dedicated folder on your system. Make sure you remember this location as it will help further.
- Now in case the setup automatically starts, cancel it.
- Navigate to the Windows icon on your desktop screen, right-click over it and select the option Device Manager from the context menu.
- Now inside the Device Manager window, expand the Display adapters section, locate your Graphic adapter, right-click over it and then click on Update driver.
- On the next prompt, click over the option Browse my computer for driver software.
- Browse the folder where AMD drivers were extracted earlier and then click on Next. Before that, make sure you tick the checkbox for the option Include subfolders.
- Lastly, restart your computer.
FIX 7: Recover the atikmdag.sys file:
The next fix we recommend is recovering the atikmdag.sys file. For doing so, follow the steps given below:
- Firstly, launch the AMD driver folder, locate the atikmdag.sy_ file and then Copy + Paste it to your desktop display.
- Now go to the desktop search bar, type cmd and launch Command Prompt from the search results. Make sure you launch it with administrator access.
- Now inside the Command Prompt window, type “chdir Desktop” and then press Enter. It will change your current folder to Desktop.
- Further type or Copy + Paste EXPAND.EXE atikmdag.sy_ atikmdag.sys and then press Enter.
- Close the Command Prompt window.
- Now navigate to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers and then rename the file to atikmdag.sys.old.
- Further, move the atikmdag.sys file from your Desktop to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers, and then lastly, restart your computer.
FIX 8: Change the settings.ini file:
As per the suffered users, the Red Screen of Death error affects the Battlefield: Bad Company 2 video game. Here to fix it changing the settings.ini file is necessary. For doing so, follow the steps given below:
- Navigate to Documents, then open the BFBC2 folder and then locate the settings.ini file.
- Now look for DxVersion=auto and then change it to DxVersion=9
- Lastly, save the changes, re-run the game and check for improvement.
FIX 9: Underclock your graphic card:
Some of the suffered users have stated that once they underclocked their system, the Red Screen of Death error got resolved for them. As per them, lower the original takt rate on AMD 7870X graphic card and check if it helps. If you are unsure about the step, you can get it done by a professional or computer expert as well.
FIX 10: Check for hardware malfunctions:
If none of the above-mentioned fixes worked for you, then consider checking for hardware malfunctions. As discussed earlier as well, faulty hardware can lead to the Red Screen of Death error. Thus, we recommend you get your computer checked for hardware malfunctions under expert supervision. A faulty graphic card or CD/DVD reader might be responsible for the said issue.
Red Screen of Death error is one of the worrying circumstances for your computer; thus, if you happen to receive it, make sure you fix it as soon as possible.
Even though the 10 methods mentioned in the article above will help you in resolving the Red Screen of Death error though if not, we advise you to connect with the professionals. If you have any queries or feedback, please leave a comment in the below comment box.