So, you’ve got one of Samsung’s cutting-edge phones with a folding screen, like the Galaxy Z Flip 5 or Z Fold 5. But then you run into the all-too-common problem of a touch screen that won’t respond, and your joy quickly fades to anger.
Even when you tap and swipe repeatedly, nothing happens on the screen. Many people fear this happening to them when using their smartphones. But don’t worry; we are here to help. We totally get how annoying it is when your screen goes black, and you can’t do anything with your phone.
In case your Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5 or Z Fold 5’s display stops responding to touches, this guide will walk you through a series of troubleshooting steps to try and get everything working again. Let’s get started.
- How to Fix Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5 / Z Fold 5 Touch Screen Not Working
- Software Fixes
- Contact Samsung Support
- Final Words
How to Fix Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5 / Z Fold 5 Touch Screen Not Working
First, let’s solve any issues related to the hardware on your Galaxy Z Flip 5 / Z Fold 5. We will start with the basics first and then move on to the more advanced solutions. If there are no hardware issues, then we can move on to the software fixes.
You don’t need any special knowledge or to disassemble your Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5 or Z Fold 5 in order to perform these basic troubleshooting methods.
Fix 1: Remove Any Screen Protectors
First, make sure you are not using any third-party screen protectors on your Galaxy Z Flip 5 or Z Fold 5. On the inner screen, when unfolded, you have a thin plastic film as a screen protector, which should not pose an issue. However, if you want to be reassured, it is recommended to remove it as well.
As for the outer screen, you can have a glass screen protector for it. If you are using a very thick glass or one that is incompatible with the phone, the touch screen might not work. Remove the outer screen’s glass protector carefully to fix this.
Please be careful not to damage your actual screen as you remove the protectors. If the problem still exists after removal, try using the touch screen again. If the issue still exists, move on to the next troubleshooting step.
Fix 2: Hard Reset your Galaxy Z Flip 5 / Z Fold 5
The next step in troubleshooting your Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5 or Z Fold 5 is to remove the phone’s case and hard reset it. You should take off any case that might be protecting your smartphone. This ensures that you have quick and easy access to all of your phone’s buttons and surfaces in the event of a malfunction.
Now, to do a hard reset, press and hold the Power and Volume Down buttons at the same time. Hold down the Power and Volume Down keys until the Samsung logo appears on the screen. It takes around 30 seconds for this to happen, so be patient.
You can let go of the buttons once you see the Samsung logo. It seems as though your phone will boot up fine. Don’t worry if the touch screen still does not work after trying these solutions; we have additional options to try.
Fix 3: Spam the Power Button
The next step is to use the SOS feature to activate the touch screen on your Galaxy Z Flip 5 or Z Fold 5. Simply follow the steps below:
- Simply press the power button five times consecutively. This will activate the SOS feature on your phone.
- Next, connect your phone to the charger.
- Now, press and hold the Power and Volume Down buttons at the same time.
- Hold down the Power and Volume Down keys until the Samsung logo appears on the screen.
- It takes around 30 seconds for this to happen, so be patient.
Fix 4: Tap on the Phone
One possible solution to a touch screen that won’t respond is to reseat the ribbon cables inside your device. We will do some tapping and massaging to fix the ribbon cable on your Galaxy Z Flip 5 or Z Fold 5.
- Place your phone flat on a hard, plain surface.
- Tap the front of the screen with two fingers, being careful not to press too hard. The goal is to fill the full display.
- Tap the back of your device in the same way, then turn it around.
- Tap anywhere, especially the edges and close to the camera lenses.
Put a soft cloth or towel under your smartphone to protect its surface from scratches and fingerprints while you work. While you try to reseat any loose parts, this shield will safeguard your phone in excellent shape.
Don’t forget to check the responsiveness of the touch screen once you’ve finished tapping and rubbing both sides of your device.
Note: Although this solution may fix the issue temporarily, you need to visit a service centre for a permanent solution. Contact Samsung support and tell them about the lose touchscreen ribbon, and they should guide you on how to get it fixed.
Check to see whether the problem still exists or if the touchscreen has become responsive again. If the issue still exists after trying that, we’ll try something else.
Fix 5: Try the Palm Smack Approach
You can also try the “Palm Smack” approach to reseat any loose connections inside your device if the touch screen still isn’t responding. Using this method, you give your device a light nudge to check for solid connections between its parts.
- Start by unfolding your phone and checking for any dirt or debris.
- Keep the screen flat in one hand and grip it firmly.
- Flatten your palm with your other hand.
- Hit the screen of your phone softly yet deliberately. Move across the entire display in a clockwise direction, beginning at one end.
- After smacking the front, flip the phone over and do the same to the back. Be cautious to protect not only the camera lenses but the entire back surface.
Then, examine your touch screen’s functionality right away. See if the problem still exists or if the touch screen is now responding normally. If the “Palm Smack” solution does not work, there is one more option to explore.
Fix 6: Try the Freezer Approach
The “Freezer Method” is an unusual solution to touch screen problems. In this solution, you freeze your Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5 or Z Fold 5 for a limited period to cool it down.
Cooling down the phone may restore correct contact and functionality to the internal components. You should try this straightforward method before moving on to the software fixes. Follow the steps below:
- First things first, remove any cases or other protective coverings from your phone.
- Make sure your phone stays flat when you carefully unfold it.
- Put your phone in the deep freeze of your fridge. You should keep it away from any water or ice. It is best to keep it in an air-tight, dry container.
- Give it around 15 to 20 minutes to rest there.
- Remove the phone from the freezer after 15 to 20 minutes.
If your touch screen has been acting up due to overheating or a momentary bug, taking this step can help cool down the internal components and perhaps fix the issue.
After taking it out of the fridge or freezer, see if the touchscreen still works. Make sure everything is operating properly by trying out different features and gestures.
If your touch screen problem remains after you’ve tried everything above, start over and try again; you can do this up to seven times. This tenacity has helped many others, and it might be all your device needs to start working again. If you are still out of success, move on to the software fixes.
Since you need to use your phone to apply any software fixes, we have a trick up our sleeves. Use a Type-C to HDMI cable to mirror your phone’s screen to a monitor, TV, or PC screen, and use your phone there. Follow the steps below:
- Type-C to HDMI cable
- HDMI-compatible display (monitor, TV, or PC screen)
- Get a Type-C to HDMI cable.
- Plug the Type-C end into your phone’s charging port.
- Plug the HDMI end into your monitor, TV, or PC screen.
- Change the input on your display to the HDMI port where you connected your phone.
- Ensure your phone is unlocked. Use face unlock if you have set it up. You can also use the side-mounted fingerprint sensor.
- Your phone’s screen should appear on the larger display.
Now, you can easily mirror your phone’s screen on a bigger monitor, TV, or PC screen and control it from there. If you are unable to mirror or if you can’t use your phone from the mirrored screen, try only the Fix 7 and then contact Samsung Support. Otherwise, try all the fixes.
Fix 7: Use Safe Mode
If your phone’s touch screen is still not working, you may be able to analyze the issue and fix it by booting into Safe Mode. By temporarily deactivating any third-party applications that may be causing problems, safe mode effectively runs your smartphone with only necessary system apps.
- Hold down the Power button and the Volume Down key for 10 seconds. Your phone will be turned off. If Bixby is activated, ask it to power off your phone.
- Now, press and hold the Power button and the Volume Down key. Release only the Power button when the Samsung logo appears.
- Keep holding the Volume Down key, and your phone should boot into safe mode.
- You’ll see the words “Safe mode” in the bottom left corner of the screen.
Safe Mode allows only the absolutely necessary system apps to run while temporarily disabling all other apps. By isolating the problem, you can see if it is related to a third-party app that interacts with your touchscreen.
If the touchscreen is working in Safe Mode, the problem is most likely caused by one of your installed programs. If you have recently downloaded multiple apps and are experiencing issues, you can isolate the offending ones by removing them one by one.
Go back to the mirrored screen of your phone on the monitor and uninstall apps one by one. However, if you are unable to do that, simply reset your phone, and everything should be fixed (see Fix 11). Simply restart your phone to exit safe mode.
Fix 8: Disable Touch Sensitivity
If your touchscreen is still not working, you might try turning off the touch sensitivity setting. It’s a straightforward solution that can possibly fix the working of your touch screen. Follow the steps below:
- Open the Settings app.
- Tap on Display.
- Now, scroll down and tap on the toggle next to Touch sensitivity to turn it off.
- Check your phone to see if the touchscreen is now working.
Fix 9: Check for Software Updates
Software updates often bring bug fixes and performance improvements. If there was a recent bug affecting the touchscreen, Samsung should have resolved it via a software update. Follow the steps below to check for software updates:
- Start by opening the Settings app.
- Scroll down and tap on Software update.
- Now, select Download and install.
- If there’s new software available, you’ll be presented with options. You can either choose to Install now for an immediate update or Schedule install to update your phone at a more convenient time.
Any problems you’re having with the touch screen could be fixed by updating the software on your device. It’s easy to do and can make a big impact on how well your phone runs.
Fix 10: Optimize Device Performance
Fixing touchscreen issues on the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5 or Z Fold 5 can sometimes be as simple as making sure the device is running at peak performance and optimizing it. Follow the steps below:
- Open the Settings app.
- Scroll down and tap on Battery and device care.
- Tap on Optimize now.
Fix 11: Reset your Galaxy Z Flip 5 / Z Fold 5 (Optional)
Resetting the device is often the last resort for fixing touchscreen problems. However, doing so will permanently delete all data from your device, so make sure you have made appropriate backups of any important data. In many cases, resetting your phone will fix touchscreen problems brought on by software incompatibilities or bugs. Follow the steps below:
- Open the Settings app.
- Scroll down and tap on General management.
- Tap on Reset.
- Choose Factory data reset.
- Scroll down and tap on Reset at the bottom.
- If you have set up a screen lock (PIN, pattern, or password), you’ll be asked to enter it.
- Finally, tap on Delete all to confirm the reset.
- After the reset is complete, check to see if the touch screen is working now.
Contact Samsung Support
If the touch screen on your Galaxy Z Flip 5 or Z Fold 5 still doesn’t work after you’ve tried all the troubleshooting methods, you should contact Samsung Support. They will give you personalized guidance and help you get your phone fixed or replaced. You can contact them via their website or the customer care phone number.
We’ve covered a variety of options for fixing your Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5 or Z Fold 5’s touchscreen. The methods presented here range from basic troubleshooting procedures to complex ones to help you restore your phone’s touch screen.
Screen protectors, safe mode, and performance optimization are all things we’ve discussed at length. We hope that you have found the answer to your touch screen issues here. If, despite your best efforts, the problem still continues, please contact Samsung Support for more assistance.
Which one of these solutions worked for you? Do you know of any other solutions that could potentially fix the issue? Let us know in the comments section below. Thanks for reading till the end!