Motorola launched Moto G5S and GS Plus. It is a successor of Moto G5S and G5S Plus which was released a few months back. If you are looking to Unlock Bootloader on Moto G5S and G5S Plus, then you are at the right place. To customize any Android smartphone, First, to break into Android Ecosystem of Modding and Updating Custom OS, you need to Unlock Bootloader on Moto G5S and G5S Plus. In this guide, we will help you on to Unlock Bootloader on Moto G5S and G5S Plus with the simple step below.
Moto G5S Plus was launched recently with a big upgrade to the earlier released Moto G5 Smartphone. Both the Moto G5S and Moto GS Plus brings the latest trended Dual Camera setup in the rear for better camera experience. Moto has put the all metal body design to the new Moto G5S and G5S Plus. It has a rounded camera just like Moto Z and Z Play. From all Aluminium Body, Moto G5S Plus features a 5.5-inch IPS LCD touchscreen with 1080 x 1920 pixels display whereas Moto G5S Comes with 5.2-inch. It is powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon 625 SoC coupled with 4GB of RAM and storage with 64GB with microSD card support with up to 2 TB. The Moto G5S Plus is backed by 3000 mAh battery.
The Moto G5S Plus sports a dual camera with 13 MP rear camera with f/1.7, autofocus, and dual-LED flash and a 5MP front camera with a wide angle lens. The smartphone runs on Android 7.0 Nougat out of the box. The thickness of the phone is 7.7mm thin and weighs 155.00 grams. Other Connectivity options include Dual Sim, Wi-Fi, GPS, Bluetooth, FM, 3G, and 4G VoLTE.
Remember: This guide is to Unlock Bootloader on Moto G5S and G5S Plus Smartphone. If you unlock bootloader you may void the warranty. By Unlocking Bootloader you can install TWRP, Flash Rooting Zip file or custom ROM on your phone. Read more What is Bootloader unlocking below. Follow this guide on How to Unlock Bootloader on Moto G5S and G5S Plus. Try this only on Moto G5S and G5S Plus smartphone. This method to unlock bootloader on Moto G5S and G5S Plus is simple to follow. But please do read the steps below carefully.
What is Unlock Bootloader ?
A Bootloader is a code which runs when we turn on our device. This code initializes some hardware and then loads the kernel and ramdisk, and gets the boot process going. So this process is known as Bootloader. The same concept applies to all the technical stuff such as Laptop, PC, Smartphones and any such device. Every Android OEM manufacturers lock the bootloader even though it is an Open Source. So if you want to try any CUSTOM ROM, it is impossible to load the CUSTOM ROM without the Unlock Bootloader. So Manufacturer made a policy of making the smartphone with Unlocked Bootloader will void the warranty. They want you to stick with the Stock ROM. Unlock Bootloader allows you to Root your android smartphone, Flash TWRP and Custom ROM in a simple easy method.
PRE-REQUISITE TO UNLOCK BOOTLOADER ON Moto G5S and G5S Plus
- Works on all Moto G5S and G5S Plus including model XT 1686
- Charge your phone up to 80% or 70%
- Go to Motorola website and Sign up/Register. (You can log in if you already have a Username and Password)
- You will Loose warranty if you unlock the bootloader, So prepare for it.
- Unlock Bootloader may wipe all your data, So make sure to Backup your Smartphone.
- Make sure you have followed the steps properly. Don’t Skip and Read! – We are not responsible for any damage that you make to your phone.
What Do You need ?
- Download Minimal ADB Tool – CLICK HERE or Download the Full ADB setup for Windows / Mac here
- How to Get Bootloader Key for Motorola Moto G5S and G5S PlusDevice? : Find in step 14 on How to Get Bootloader Key for Motorola Moto G5S and G5S Plus Device
STEPS TO UNLOCK BOOTLOADER ON Moto G5S and G5S Plus
- First of all enable the Developer Option, To Enable the Developer Option, Go to your Settings -> About -> Software Information -> More -> Now Tap on the Build Number 7-8 Times until you see a toast message “Developer option enabled“
- Go back to settings -> Now you need to enable the OEM Unlock by going to Settings -> Developer Option and Enable OEM Unlock and USB Debugging
- Download and Extract the Downloaded ADB fastboot Zip file on your PC
- Now connect your phone to Computer using USB Cable.
- When you connect your Phone to Computer, please wait until all the drivers get installed.
- In your ADB fastboot folder open a command prompt window by pressing Shift Key + Right Mouse Click
- Now type the command in your command window
- If you see a pop up to allow USB Debugging on your phone, Click OK
- Now type the command below to reboot your phone to bootloader
adb reboot bootloader
- Once your phone reboot into bootloader, make sure your phone shows the bootloader locked and then type the command below to make sure fastboot drivers are installed properly.
- This command will list the connected devices. If your phone’s serial number shows up you are good to go and may continue. If the phone is NOT listed this indicates that your drivers are not installed correctly. In order for you to continue you must fix your drivers so that your phone is listed under fastboot devices.
- If the phone has been recognized by the command above, proceed to boot into bootloader by tapping down the volume down button on your phone and select the BOOT TO DOWNLOAD MODE option with power key. Now you can unlock the bootloader with the following command: Remember that this step will wipe EVERYTHING off the phone
fastboot oem get_unlock_data
- Now command will return a string which you need to copy the string to a notepad with a single line by deleting all space
(Note: Only copy the highlighted sections above. Do not copy the INFO or (bootloader) prefix)
- To Get Bootloader Key for Moto G5S and G5S Plus – Open the website Motorola’s unlock the boot loader site by Signing up or Login in via Google Plus account
- Now paste the string from Notepad to the box shown on the website (Check Screenshot below)
- Once you click the “Can my Device be unlocked?” you will receive a mail with unlock key.
- Now copy the unlock key and type the following command and enter.
fastboot oem unlock UNLOCK_KEY
Here UNLOCK_Key is the place where you have to paste the unlock key which you copied from the email.
- That’s it ! Your device will be unlocked. hah! Have fun!
If you have any querries or doubts related to unlock bootloader on Moto G5S and G5S Plus, Please leave a comment below. Thank you