In this tutorial, we will show you how to unlock the bootloader on all the variants of LG V30. While it has been close to three years since its launch, it has still managed to rank in high in the popularity meters. The 6.0-inch screen has a 1440 x 2880 pixel resolution and is protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 5. The device was launched with Android 7.1.2 (Nougat), upgradable to Android 9.0 (Pie). Under the hood, you get an octa-core Qualcomm MSM8998 Snapdragon 835 chipset with Adreno 540 as the GPU.
It comes in two different variants- 64GB 4GB RAM, 128GB 4GB RAM. The 16+13MP dual rear camera setup and a single 5MP selfie camera both manage to take decent clicks. Talking about the sensors, you get the fingerprint (rear-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer, and color spectrum. All these are supported with a 3300mAH battery coupled with 18W fast charging and a 10W wireless charging as well.
While all these are pretty impressive in its own right, but this just the beginning. Your LG device holds a plethora of other customizations that you could make full use of, once you unlock the device’s bootloader. And in this guide, we are there to help you achieve just that. So without further ado, here are the required steps to unlock the bootloader on all variants of LG V30. But before that, let’s check out what is an unlocked bootloader and the benefits and risks that it brings with itself. Follow along.
- What is an Unlock Bootloader
- Advantages of an Unlocked Bootloader
- Risks with an Unlocked Bootloader
- How to Unlock the Bootloader on LG V30
What is an Unlock Bootloader
A bootloader is a software program that tells the system which all apps does it have to load at boot time. Furthermore, it also helps the device to boot it to the bootloader mode. Near about every OEMs ships their devices with a locked bootloader. The reason for their part stands simple. They only want the user to use the stock OS that has been shipped with the device. But here is the thing. Not everyone is a fan of the stock OS experience.
Furthermore, when you have an open-source operating system at your hands, why not make full use of it. In this regard, the first step that a user makes is to unlocking the bootloader on their devices. Doing so will open the gate to the plethora customization opportunities, but with some risks as well. Let’s check out all these perks and their associated risks. After this, we will list out the steps to unlock the bootloader on LG V30.
Advantages of an Unlocked Bootloader
Once you have unlocked the device’s bootloader, you have the option to install any of the popular custom ROMs. These include LineageOS, HavocOS, Pixel Experience among others. Likewise, you also get the ability to replace the stock recovery with a custom recovery like TWRP. TWRP in turn brings with itself a plethora of features.
Furthermore, you could also then gain administrative privileges and make changes to the system partition. This is possible by rooting your device via Magisk. Apart from that, there are always tons of modules, frameworks, and theme engines that you could give it a shot. But what all these are quite impressive, there are a few risks as well. So before you go ahead with the unlocking steps, kindly have a look at the downsides of an unlocked bootloader.
Risks with an Unlocked Bootloader
To begin with, an unlocked bootloader might make the device’s warranty null and void. Apart from that, it will wipe off all the data on your device. Similarly, the Widevine L1 Certification will also be degraded to L3. This means you wouldn’t be able to watch HD videos on Netflix. Likewise, apps like Google Pay and Pokemon Go might just refuse to work.
Not to mention the entire process is quite risky and might result in a bootloop or bricked device, if not done correctly. So with this, we have mentioned both the perks and risks of unlocking your device. If you are ready to proceed, then here are the instructions to unlock the bootloader on LG V30 (all variants).
How to Unlock the Bootloader on LG V30
Before we list out the steps, there are a few requirements that your device should meet. So before you begin with the steps, make sure that your device qualifies all of them.
- Create a complete device backup. This is because the unlock process will wipe off all the data on your device.
- Download and install the Android SDK Platform Tools on your PC. This is needed to successfully execute the ADB and Fastboot commands.
- Open the device keypad and dial *#06#. Copy the IMEI number and note it down somewhere apart from your device.
- Keep your device sufficiently charged (minimum 60%) so that it does not turn off mid-way during the process.
That is it. Now proceed with the steps to unlock the bootloader on LG V30 (all variants).
STEP 1: Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking
To begin with, USB Debugging is needed for the executing of ADB Commands. In this tutorial, we will use these ADB commands to boot your device to Bootloader/Fastboot Mode. On the other hand, OEM Unlocking permits the unlocking process. Here is how both of them could be enabled.
- Head over to Settings on your LG device and go to System
- Navigate to About Phone and tap on Build Number 7 times.
- Then go back to Settings > System > Advanced. You should now see the Developer Options.
- Go inside that menu and enable the USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking toggles.
STEP 2: Boot Device to Fastboot
The unlocking process requires your device to be booted to the fastboot mode. For that, follow the below steps:
- Connect it to PC via USB cable. Head over to the platform-tools folder, type in CMD in the address bar, and hit Enter. This will launch the Command Prompt.
- Now type in the below command to check for the successful ADB Connection:
- At this point, you will get a debugging prompt on your device. Tap on the Allow or OK button to authorize the USB Debugging.
- Now enter the below command to boot your device to the fastboot mode
adb reboot bootloader
- Make sure to keep your device booted to Fastboot mode the Command Prompt window opened.
STEP 3: Get the Device ID
Different OEMs follow a slightly different path when it comes to the unlocking process. As far as LG is concerned, it requires the user to obtain the .bin file after sending them your device ID. With that said, here is how to get your device-specific ID:
- With your device connected to the fastboot mode, execute the below command in the CMD window:
fastboot oem device-id
- Executing the above command will give out the results something along the similar lines (the device ID will be different):
Example Device ID (PC User)$ fastboot oem device-id (bootloader)----------------------------------------------------------------- (bootloader) Device-ID (bootloader) CD58B679A38D6B613ED518F37A05E013 (bootloader) F93190BD558261DBBC5584E8EF8789B1 (bootloader)-----------------------------------------------------------------
- So what you need to do is simply copy these two lines of the device ID. In our case, this will corresponds to:
- Copy this code as it will be used in the next step.
STEP 4: Fill in the Bootloader Unlock Form
You will now have to give this ID over to LG so that they could give you the required BIN file. For that, the first step requires filling up the bootloader unlock form. Here is how it could be done:
- Head over to the LG Unlock Bootloader page.
- Scroll to the bottom and click on Start Unlocking the Bootloader.
- Log in with your credentials and then fill in the details that it asks. These include name, email, IMEI, and Device ID. The IMEI number you would have already copied in the Prerequisites section using *#06#. Regarding the Device ID, enter the one that we managed to get in STEP 3.
- Once you have entered everything, hit the Confirm button. You should then receive the unlock.bin on the email that you had provided. We will now be using this file to unlock the bootloader on LG V30. Follow the instructions given below for that.
STEP 5: Unlock Bootloader by Flashing Unlock.BIN File
- Download the unlock.bin file and move it to the platform-tools folder. Inside the same folder, type in CMD and hit Enter. This will launch the Command Prompt.
- With your device already booted to Fastboot mode, execute the below command to flash the unlock.bin file:
fastboot flash unlock unlock.bin
- The file will be flashed within a few seconds and the bootloader will also be unlocked after a data wipe. You could reboot your device to the system via the below command:
- So with this, we conclude the guide on how to unlock the bootloader on LG V30 (all variants).
Keep in mind that the first boot might take up some time, nothing to worry about. Furthermore, you might have to set up your device from scratch since a wipe has taken place. Apart from that, if you have any queries, let us know in the comments section below. Rounding off, here are some iPhone Tips and Tricks, PC tips and tricks, and Android Tips and Trick that deserve your attention as well.