In this article, we’ll show you the options that you can do to Fix Windows Update Error 0xc1900223 in straightforward steps.
According to Microsoft, the error means that there was a problem downloading and installing the selected update. Windows Update will try again later; there is nothing you need to do now. But we have a few works through. Follow the below article to do so.
Fix Windows Update Error 0xc1900223
Before applying/implementing any of the below solutions:
Make Sure That:
- Make sure that your device has enough space.
- Run Windows Update a few times.
- Check third-party drivers and download any updates.
- Unplug extra hardware Check Device Manager for errors.
- Remove third-party security software.
- Repair hard-drive errors.
- Do a clean restart into Windows Restore and repair system files
Check Internet connection
Disable metered connection
- Click on the Wi-Fi icon available at the right side of Taskbar and then select Properties from underneath the Network name.
- When the related settings page comes up in a separate window, move down a bit and turn off the toggle switch for Set as metered connection.
Download updates over metered connections
In case of not having a problem with extra charges, you can use a metered connection to download Windows update also. Here’s how –
- Launch Windows Settings app (Win+I) and click Update & Security.
- Go to the right pane and click on Advanced options.
- Next, turn off the toggle switch for Download updates over metered connections (extra charges may apply).
Disable your VPN software
If you are using a VPN or Virtual Private Network for connecting to your work network then you might need to disconnect it for a while and turn off the VPN software (if applicable) and try upgrading again.. VPN software can interfere with the Windows Update process sometimes.
- Open Windows Settings.
- Tap on Network & Internet.
- On right-hand side, you will see the list of different sections.
- Tap on the VPN.
- And disconnect the VPN until the upgrade.
Run DISM and SFC tools
Here is how to proceed –
- Press Win+R.
- Type cmd.exe in the text field and press Ctrl+Shift+Enter on your keyboard.
- Type the following line after blinking cursor and hit Enter –
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
- After 100% completion, reboot your PC.
- Once the system powers up, once more open Command Prompt as Administrator and this time enter the below command –
- Wait until the process is finished completely, restart and then check for the error 0xc1900223.
Rename your HOSTS file (temporarily)
- Open the folder
- Rename the file named
HOSTS.OLD. You’ll be asked for consent (admin consent) to rename the file. Click Continue when prompted.
- Open a Command Prompt window and type the following command to clear the Windows DNS cache:
- Attempt to install Windows Updates again.
- Once done, rename
HOSTS. Also, inspect your HOSTS file and make sure you don’t block Microsoft Update server addresses.
Change your DNS resolver
If you’ve been using Pi-Hole at the router level, then you’ll need to revert to the ISP-default DNS resolvers, or use one of the free DNS servers (temporarily):
- Google Public DNS:
- And then, flush the Windows DNS cache by running the
ipconfig /flushdnscommand from a Command Prompt window.
Reset Windows update component
Unfortunately, if the troubleshooter didn’t work to fix the Windows update error, there might be a possibility that the component itself is corrupted. In such a case, reset the same is the thoroughgoing solution. Here is how to proceed –
- Press Win+S and type in cmd.
- When the result shows up, click Run as administrator.
- Click the Yes button if a UAC prompts.
- On the Command Prompt window, type the following and press Enter after each line –
net stop wuauserv net stop cryptic net stop bits net stop msiserver
- Thereafter, copy-paste the underneath commands and press enter as earlier –
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.oldren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
- In the end, you need to run the below commands one by one –
net start wuauserv net start cryptic net start bits net start msiserver